Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problems with Mitsubishi’s slick-shifting SST transmission will delay the delivery of the Evo X, according to reports from Japan.

The six-speed semi-automatic gearbox is one of the most capable on the market. But according to our sources, its complexity has meant mass-producing the unit is proving more difficult than expected.

Initially, it was thought that production of cars with the transmission – which is similar to VW’s twin-clutch DSG gearbox – would begin this month in Japan. However, insiders now believe that because of reliability glitches, the first SST models won’t roll out of the factory until early next year, delaying their arrival in the UK until summer. Officially, Mitsubishi claims that there are no problems. The company insists that the Evo X will be available with both the SST gearbox and a more conventional five-speed manual unit from its UK launch in March.

A first for the company, SST – which stands for Sport-Shift Transmission – offers the driver three increasingly responsive modes, ranging from Normal to Sport to Super-Sport, with the last of these holding the engine to the red line before changing up. The driver can take over at any time thanks to F1-style steering wheel-mounted paddles.

The gearbox will ensure the car steals a march on its arch-rival, Subaru’s Impreza STI, which is only available with a conventional manual transmission. Sales of the Evo X get underway in spring, with prices from £30,000.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/212148/mitsubishi_on_hold.html

· Premium Member
3,036 Posts
That sucks to read. I wonder if they should have released the tranny with another car for a trial period, then went balls out with the X?

· Premium Member
3,036 Posts
I know i saw the commercial with them showing the paddle shifter, but I didn't know if it was exactly the same or not. For example, the BMW Z4 has the automatic with paddles, but is not the SMG gearbox found in the M-cars.

· Registered
847 Posts
Just to clarify, the Outlander transmission is a 6-speed automatic transmission controlled by an INVECS III ECU. It is a traditional automatic transmission with a torque converter. The paddle shifters simply select the gear you wish to be in, manually.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
For the sake of the car and the brand, I do hope they get the SST right, but I'm not liking this whole thing. I wanted the 5MT, but now, what with the basic equipment included with the GSR in Canada (cast wheels, halogens, cloth unheated seats) I don't know what to think. Got to drive the GSR once it hits the dealerships (I may like it, it may convince me). If the MR is delayed I'll only be able to compare the GSR to the STI (reading lots of good first look reviews on the JDM STI).

· Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
^What he said.

Well, I guess it's 5MT and no MR for me. :(

They really should make an exception and offer the 5MT in the MR at least until they iron out the issues.
Yeah that's gotta be throwing a wrench in your plans. Gosh I really wish they'd just give it a nice strong manual transmission (6spd??) rather than some computer-controlled monstrosity.

Maybe for a 100000 dollar or more car that no one will bother modifying sure go for a fast-shifting automated transmission, but not for a tuner car.

It's so depressing.

· Registered
87 Posts
Guess Journalist have some merit i posted this a while ago in the oz forum .

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:17 am Post subject: Problem with TC SST / Why 5 MT ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading the November 2007 Motor mag in Australia Journalist... David Morley pointed out a few potentially concerning issues and theorys with the EVO X .

With the TC SST He states :

"The only glitch i can see is a tendency for the gearbox to get hot and start short-shifting in deference to its oil temperature ( two cars did it to me and it wasnt a particularly hot day )

Should this be a concern for TC SST OWNERS ?..........what do you guys think ?

About the 5MT gearbox he says .

"Mitsubishis engineers reckon weight is the reason for the move from six back to five cogs , but the more cynical among us (me,for instance)......smell a different sort of rodent .

Think about it : if you have gone to the trouble of developing a whizz-bang new clutchless box ,you have to make sure that its quicker than a conventional manual right ?
So the best way to do that is to hobble the regular manual gearbox by spacing the gears further apart ."

Has Mitsubishi deliberately HOBBLED the manual in order to make the TC SST Faster ? What do you guys think ?

"Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly"

"I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow

· Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Just to clarify, the Outlander transmission is a 6-speed automatic transmission controlled by an INVECS III ECU. It is a traditional automatic transmission with a torque converter. The paddle shifters simply select the gear you wish to be in, manually.
I figured that was the case, but didn't want to go saying it like I knew everything. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.