Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else here is getting a nice static shock everytime they get out of their cars. I forget about it everytime until I touch the frame to help me push myself out.

Just wondering if anyone else was having this issue. I know... :wtfsign:

·
Registered
166 Posts
LMAO! me too, its been like that since day one and still is going 2 months later. All i can say get used to it buddy...lol

I thought it might be only me since im always getting shocked at work and the gym.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone else here is getting a nice static shock everytime they get out of their cars. I forget about it everytime until I touch the frame to help me push myself out.

Just wondering if anyone else was having this issue. I know... :wtfsign:
Try this:

Next time you go to fill your car, after you start pumping gas, get back in your car. Then slide your ass around a bunch on the seat. Not get out of your car and be carefull not to touch anything metalic. Then walk back to the gas tank and grab the handle while the gas is still pumping. This should solve your problems.

But seriously, I never get shocked. The build up of static electricity has alot to do with the humidity in the air and other atmospheric variables. point being, your getting shocked because of where you live.

Can happen with leather seats too.

The trick is to first touch the door frame, and then put the foot onto the ground
This doesn't make any sense. I guess unless you are driving barefoot. The only reason I can think of that this might help is that if you touch metal something metalic before you move to get out of the car then you have effectivelly "grounded" yourself. This means that any charge that you build up while sliding across the seat during your movement to get out of the vehicle is immediately dissipated, as opposed to building up a significant charge and then touching the metal and feeling the instantaneous shock of all that energy.

G

·
This doesn't make any sense. I guess unless you are driving barefoot
:slaphead:

Because you are not driving barefoot you get the shock (7-15V!). By wearing shoes you let the electrons collect on your body without allowing themselves to ground until you touch something that allows it, thats which is why you get shocked.

Touching the bodywork DOES make sense because you make a bond to the metal, which is also referred to as "BONDING" and allows static energy to "flow" to the car. Next time try it or research and maybe it will make sense.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try this:

Next time you go to fill your car, after you start pumping gas, get back in your car. Then slide your ass around a bunch on the seat. Not get out of your car and be carefull not to touch anything metalic. Then walk back to the gas tank and grab the handle while the gas is still pumping. This should solve your problems.

But seriously, I never get shocked. The build up of static electricity has alot to do with the humidity in the air and other atmospheric variables. point being, your getting shocked because of where you live.

This doesn't make any sense. I guess unless you are driving barefoot. The only reason I can think of that this might help is that if you touch metal something metalic before you move to get out of the car then you have effectivelly "grounded" yourself. This means that any charge that you build up while sliding across the seat during your movement to get out of the vehicle is immediately dissipated, as opposed to building up a significant charge and then touching the metal and feeling the instantaneous shock of all that energy.
If I didn't splode, I'd have to pay a fee for pumping my own gas. It's illegal in Oregon to do such things.

·
Registered
567 Posts
yep today I was thinking the same damn thing>this f'r shocks me every time. Just like all the Subies'. It sucks. I'm tried using my forearm today (instead of my hand) to close the door and it wasn't as bad. The shirt took most of the zap

·
Registered
148 Posts
^ African Stig AHHAHAHAHA awesome!

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
:slaphead:

Because you are not driving barefoot you get the shock (7-15V!). By wearing shoes you let the electrons collect on your body without allowing themselves to ground until you touch something that allows it, thats which is why you get shocked.

Touching the bodywork DOES make sense because you make a bond to the metal, which is also referred to as "BONDING" and allows static energy to "flow" to the car. Next time try it or research and maybe it will make sense.
Your origional quote said: "first touch the door frame and then put your foot on the ground." Most people wear shoes... shoes have rubber soles. So I don't get what putting your foot on the ground has to do with anything.

The static electricity is built up by your body sliding across the seats, touching the door frame then allows this energy to discharge into the metal of the door frame, hence the shock.

All my point was by saying "unless you're barefoot" was that I really don't get what putting your foot on the ground has anything to do with anything. Heck, even if you were barefoot it still doesn't make a difference, just the build up of charge could discharge through your foot instead of through your finger into the metal door frame. But anyway, in this case you would need to put your foot on the ground first.

I think you are the one who needs to do a little research. I'm an Electrical Engineer with a BS from Northwestern University and I believe I know a hell of a lot more about anything to do with electricity then you.

Lets analyze your post:

I agree pretty much entirelly with this, except even if you were barefoot and your foot never touched anything metalic then you would still build up a charge. In the Evo the pedals are metalic, but in alot of other cars the pedals are plastic/rubber.

This is where it become apparent that you have a sort-of basic "wikipedia" understanding of static electricity. The shock that they are experiencing when they get out of the vehicle IS from touching the metal in the door frame. Since metal is highly conductive the built up electric charge (from rubbing and moving against the cloth seats) can discharge rapidly. Actually the Voltage difference for a shock that you feel is in the hundreds of volts, not 7-15V. You would not feel anything if it was only 7-15V. And do research before you argue this (there is no where near enough built up charge to sustain a current, so there is no damage. If you touch a 120v outlet and ground yourself... well that would be a different story).

Lastly, you need to be continuously touching the metal on the door frame while you are seated in order to "BOND." Basically, if you are touching something metalic, then as you build up charge it can immediately discharge through the metal. This therefore does not allow charge to build up enough to produce large enough of a voltage difference to actually feel a shock when you touch a conductive surface, i.e. something metalic.

So while I understand your logic from your basic "wikipedia" knowledge, you are wrong. Unless you constantly touch the metalic door frame while driving the car then the "bonding" has nothing to do with it.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
If I didn't splode, I'd have to pay a fee for pumping my own gas. It's illegal in Oregon to do such things.

And don't do what I said in that post!!!! I assumed everone realized it was a joke! if you rub your ass around on the seat and build up a charge, and then touch the gas pump it could ignite the fuel!

(oh, I understand that you understand this USLegalTender, just wanted to make sure no one else didn't get that it was a joke)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.