Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Kaizen tuning this morning for a 3 port, AP and tune. I put on an ETS intake and quite exhaust 2 weeks ago and it has been running really rich ever since. I would have thought that it would be lean, but the tips of the exhuast are really carboned up and it blows a little black smoke at WOT. I've heard great things about Kaizen, can't wait to see how they do.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
good luck with your tune.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
+1 on posting the results! I'm looking forward to working with Kaizen once I start modding, I've heard great things.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
All these new England folks! Good to see! Pm Ttsumibishi or I about becoming neevo members!

Kaizen is first class all the way, and I loved te tune Rob hooked me up with: he really knows his stuff! I only trust my parts and tuning to Kaizen for my cars!

·
[NEEvo President]
15,153 Posts
All these new England folks! Good to see! Pm Ttsumibishi or I about becoming neevo members!

Kaizen is first class all the way, and I loved te tune Rob hooked me up with: he really knows his stuff! I only trust my parts and tuning to Kaizen for my cars!
:+1: We just got in some sweet new NEEVO Shirts :shades:

How'd the Tune go? Yah Rob's a great guy, you're in good hands :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I met Rob at Kaizen and after grabbing my AP we headed over to the new warehouse where the dyno is. He did a base line run and was surprised to see 260HP (later corrected at 255) and 310 Torque. My 2010 MR Touring is stock except for a ETS intake and Quiet Catback exhaust. No tune, no other mods.

He installed the Perrin 3Port and then began tuning, building custom maps and uploading them via the AP. The entire time he was explaining everything he was doing and was really patient with my stupid questions. Being a turbo newbe I was interested in everthing and he never made me fell like I was being a pain in the ass.

Rob got the HP to about 285 but had to back it down because of some knock. He did a total of 17 Dyno runs. I believe that we were getting about 25lbs of boost. The end result was 283.9 HP and 327lbs of torque.

I'm going to add a UICP and a few other goodies then go back for more tuning. Overall it was a great experience and everybody at the shop was very professional. I drove over an hour to get there and can't imagine going anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
haha, i'll be in the same boat as you since i know nothing about tuning. thanks for the update. i can't wait to start! would you mind sending me a pm about how much that cost?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that it was 95 degrees yesterday. The dyno shop is not air conditioned so I'm sure that didn't help my numbers. Rob said that their dyno typically reads about %17 lower than a mustang dyno so that would put my numbers around 325HP on one.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I forgot to mention that it was 95 degrees yesterday. The dyno shop is not air conditioned so I'm sure that didn't help my numbers. Rob said that their dyno typically reads about %17 lower than a mustang dyno so that would put my numbers around 325HP on one.
so i know absolute numbers from different dynos aren't really useful because it's only the delta we care about, but is there such thing as a true dyno?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i know absolute numbers from different dynos aren't really useful because it's only the delta we care about, but is there such thing as a true dyno?
I think there are variables with every one. I don't really care that much what the actual numbers are. I just am looking for improvement. Obviously its only relevant if you use the same dyno each time.

5,198 Posts
I forgot to mention that it was 95 degrees yesterday. The dyno shop is not air conditioned so I'm sure that didn't help my numbers.
Why would a dyno be air conditioned? Is it air conditioned outside when you drive the car around in the real world?

Rob said that their dyno typically reads about %17 lower than a mustang dyno so that would put my numbers around 325HP on one.
17% lower then a Mustang dyno? So a stock Evo 10 puts down around 185whp? So like 35% drivetrain loss? C'mon that's moving into totally un-real-world numbers. Do they wrap like 40 plastic bags full of rocks around your drive shaft or something?

That's not even remotely accurate to other properly set up Dyno Dynamics compared to a Mustang dyno.

·
[NEEvo President]
15,153 Posts
Why would a dyno be air conditioned? Is it air conditioned outside when you drive the car around in the real world?

17% lower then a Mustang dyno? So a stock Evo 10 puts down around 185whp? So like 35% drivetrain loss? C'mon that's moving into totally un-real-world numbers. Do they wrap like 40 plastic bags full of rocks around your drive shaft or something?

That's not even remotely accurate to other properly set up Dyno Dynamics compared to a Mustang dyno.
I think there might have been some lost in translation between Rob and the OP. Regardless these guys have obvoiusly stated their not Dyno guru's no need to jump on them like that. Also no need to insinuate that Kaizen doesn't know what they are talking about or what their doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

The SHOP that the dyno is in is not air conditioned. It has been 95 degrees here.

Ok. Then Kaizen is wrong. Or I heard him wrong. Maybe he told me 7%. I really don't give a shit. Sorry I even posted it. All I know or care about is that the first pull was at 260 and the tune gave me 280. How about I just say that Kaizen was able to achieve an 7% increase in HP with a much nicer curve?

5,198 Posts
. Also no need to insinuate that Kaizen doesn't know what they are talking about or what their doing.
Where did I say that? Oh that's right, I didn't.

;)

Relax, I wasn't:

A. Saying the tuner or shop do not know what they are doing. Even if the dyno is set to read like it was at 20,000ft, it doesn't affect or degrade their tuning ability.

B. Jumping on the poster. I was mearly creating a discussion around something I find inaccurate, which is 35% drivetrain loss.

Ok. Then Kaizen is wrong. Or I heard him wrong. Maybe he told me 7%. I really don't give a shit. Sorry I even posted it. All I know or care about is that the first pull was at 260 and the tune gave me 280. How about I just say that Kaizen was able to achieve an 7% increase in HP with a much nicer curve?
Ok we can put this to bed then. A dyno that reads 17% less then a Mustang won't show 260 from a untuned bolt-on Evo 10. So something must have got lost in translation here.

Happy friday and enjoy the weekend.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts