Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have RR X with about 30k miles one it. No Aero package, so black plastic fascia on the front bumper goes all the way down the lip, like this:

Over the past 30k miles, I've noticed some small chips and scratches on this plastic, more so than on the rest of the body paint. It also looks like someone rubbed against my rear diffuser in a parking lot at some point, which is also plastic of similar construction/color. It put a little ugly scrape on it. Nothing major, but it bugs me ;)

As part of my post-winter detail this year, I was thinking of refinishing this front fascia and the rear diffuser. Remove both, sand them down lightly to remove the imperfections, then prime/paint them.

Instead of repainting it in the original dull flat black, I was thinking that going with a medium gloss deeper black. It might look killer on a red evo! A lot of the re-touched photo shoot images I've seen of red X's all adjust the blacks to make it look more glossy, and it does look way better in the photo than in real life!

Has anyone tried this? Any photos that were not re-touched? Or any photoshop wizards mind taking a crack at the front and rear to give me a better idea of how it might turn out?

Here's one example i found. Different front bumper, but notice the black plastic.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
I thought of doing this. I think painting all of the black plastic in a gloss black would look good. I almost wish I would have done that instead of buying all of this cf

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing for the front bumper cover (i have the areo lip). I think it woul look 10x better than the dull flat black. Biggest problem I think would be getting a quality paint job that will last on it since it would have to hold up to the rocks and crap tossed up from the road.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Biggest problem I think would be getting a quality paint job that will last on it since it would have to hold up to the rocks and crap tossed up from the road.
That's what I'm worried about. Looking and the nicks it has now, I think it'll still be black after sanding. If I use a black primer, then 3-4 coats of black paint (yes that's overkill), with a clear coat. I imagine it'll hold up fairly well, and even if it chips, it'll only show a slightly off black underneath. I would be more worried about rocks or whatever chipping the plastic again which might cause the paint to peel. If I can get another 3 years out of it, i think it'd be worth it.

Time to dig up some old fishstix threads :)

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
plastidip?
I don't think that'll give me the color I want, but it might add a bit of protection against chipping. Maybe a layer of plasti dip, few layers of paint, layer of primer? I saw someone do this with a 370z rear diffuser and wheels and it held up pretty well. Not quite the same as the front of the car, but wheels take a pretty good beating

Edit: here's some reports from ralliart guys doing something similar with plastidip. Sounds promising

http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-show-shine/532161-plasti-dipped-chrome-ring-lip.html

Might need to also do the fog light housing, fender vents and hood vents to make it match

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
plastidip will cover your scratches but will still have a matte black look. With the gloss black I was thinking you'd want to sand it down, add a coat of primer, 2 coats of black, and 2-3 coats of clear. Clearcoats are usually formulated to offer more protection and resistance to dings and scratches. But I know for certain that any chips and scratches after the painting will show up more on a gloss black surface than a matte surface (plus you lose the ability to peel and redo that you get with plastidip). On the flip side I still think gloss black would look awesome on a RR car.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
plastidip will cover your scratches but will still have a matte black look. With the gloss black I was thinking you'd want to sand it down, add a coat of primer, 2 coats of black, and 2-3 coats of clear. Clearcoats are usually formulated to offer more protection and resistance to dings and scratches. But I know for certain that any chips and scratches after the painting will show up more on a gloss black surface than a matte surface (plus you lose the ability to peel and redo that you get with plastidip). On the flip side I still think gloss black would look awesome on a RR car.
any reason you can apply a few coats of gloss + clear on top of a coat of plasti? if it doesn't turn out well, at least I could always just peel the entire thing off :)

edit: the biggest thing I'd be worried about is the texture. It wouldn't be smooth. Rough texture + gloss might look a little off?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I think it might turn out ok. Only iffy thing for me would be the clear sticking to the plastidip. I would think the clear would get smooth/glassy since plastidip isn't too rough/textured. You may want to try it out on a spare piece of plastic beforehand and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
edit: the biggest thing I'd be worried about is the texture. It wouldn't be smooth. Rough texture + gloss might look a little off?
It's called "textured plastic" in industry terms. Meant to be just that. Painting, wrapping, or anything for that matter doesn't work very well, at all. In a year or so, it'll peel. That material isn't meant to be messed with. I'm at body shops all day, every day. Companies, typically with bumpers, offer a "textured version" or "paint-to-match" and they are two different parts all together. Any reputable body shop will tell you it CAN be painted, but they won't guarantee it. One time deal. When it peels, they don't owe you for a re-paint. Just some thoughts/input.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
My rear diffuser is painted PB.
It looks good, but the portion surrounding the exhaust is a different color because my car spits out flames.

pics please :)

I been debating on painting my diffuser too, but was thinking of doing it with the Evo IX diffuser factory paint...would love to see how your PB one turned out for ideas...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.