Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed grey smoke coming from my exhaust. It's not a ton, but still not what I am used to seeing. Mind you, I have a built motor, so It consumes about a quart of oil every 3K miles or so, but this is the first time I've noticed the smoke.

I'm gonna check compression tomorrow and make sure everything is cool. I don't hear anything odd, and it seems like less smoke when I am driving.

Could I be seeing the demise of my turbo???

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Today I noticed grey smoke coming from my exhaust. It's not a ton, but still not what I am used to seeing. Mind you, I have a built motor, so It consumes about a quart of oil every 3K miles or so, but this is the first time I've noticed the smoke.

I'm gonna check compression tomorrow and make sure everything is cool. I don't hear anything odd, and it seems like less smoke when I am driving.

Could I be seeing the demise of my turbo???
Hard to say... check your headgasket.

So check if your oil or radiator caps have any kind of white film on them or deposits. Check plugs if one isn't burned out. Possible turbo issue.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smells toxic.... I'm pretty sure its not the head gasket.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grey smoke at idle.... not a ton though.... just noticed it..

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Sounds like turbo...but why does the built motor burns oil so quickly?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
So in this case the pistons?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Your built motor consumes a full qt of oil every 3k miles? Thats not good, regardless if its built or not (I understand that forged internals dont expand like cast, but if your passing that much oil/or burning it there is something no bueno about that). A built motor should not burn that much oil. Maybe a 1/2 qt, but a full qt is kinda of concerning. From the sounds of it, your burning oil somewhere and you should def do a CT. Also check your plugs like Clipse stated, they may tell you a tale you don't want to hear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Could be a few things, you say it doesn't produce smoke while driving, try reving while in idle and see if that produces smoke. What type of oil do you use?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
usually grey smoke is unburnt fuel igniting in your exhaust. I dont want to speculate what the problem could be, but i would say its probably a fueling issue.

My advice would be to take it back to your tuner.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Getting any codes? I had fueling issues, bad injectors, they were leaking like a bad tampon. If its fueling issue you should be getting P0172 or the opposite code.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no codes.... pulled the plugs.... looked great. Put a new set in anyways...

now the smoking is intermittent..... smokes crazy under hard accel. and smokes after it sits at idle for 3-4 mines +

Next stop... compression test....

Buschur told me a qt every 3K miles was normal..... running Brad Penn 20w-50

BTW, I talked to a builder in my area who said 50w is hell on adjustable cam timing....

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like the turbo to me, has all the telltale signs. AFAIK, with built motors outside of this community, they burn oil. Any motor that makes more power and revs to the moon will burn oil. At track events my friends 30k mile s2000 goes through a good 2-3qts of oil. It's the name of the game. Can't seal everything when you use forged parts and make tons of power.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Are sure its not a turbo issue?

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Does it do this at all times of the day? It's been in the 40s and 50s in the morning down here and I get more smoke when its cold.

Honestly, take it by a shop. Get it checked out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts