Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CHECK THE LAST PAGE FOR THE LATEST UPDATES AND MAPS

NOTE TO ANYONE READING THIS THAT HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE IN TUNING:

The maps you see in this post are USER SPECIFIC which means they WILL CAUSE DAMAGE to your car if you ignorantly copy the data. Use the maps in this post for REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT POST ANY MAPS IF YOU'VE BEEN TUNED BY A PROFESSIONAL TUNER (BE IT A DYNO TUNE OR AN E-TUNE).

I know there are threads about this but they are so spread out across the pages that I can't follow up with them. So far I've got this:

Both, low gear and high gear correction intervals are set to 0. The tables are set up according to what I've read on the forums, or at least what I managed to get from whatever I read. Is this correct? Or is there something I'm missing here?

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
I wouldn't set the intervals to 0. Maybe 2 or 3.

Are you setup for Load or Direct Boost?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Running the BC solenoid before any positive pressure builds is not necessary. It just adds un-needed wear on the solenoid when you are sitting at idle. Typically I don't start the WGDC until 2500 RPM

Also you might want to spread out the values for other throttle percentages, unless you only want to build boost above WG pressure at WOT

The values look good though - if you are just starting out tuning, you need to select values that are lower than what you think your target values are going to be - then work your way up.

Also you need to put the negative correction values back in- that way if you overboost on accident the ecu can correct, but, you should have the boost limiter in place anyways, so just personal preference

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The correction intervals need to be higher. 2 or 3 works well to correct enough, but not correct too much. An interval of 1 corrects too much and you get a wavy boost line. With the way the boost correction works, an interval set at 0 will completely dump all boost the split second you go over your target. The error correction table can be zero'd to get your raw WGDC on target, and then may take a little tweaking from stock values to get a nice consistent curve every time.

I'm assuming this is on the stock turbo? Don't be afraid to go higher from 5500rpm and taper up to 100% by 7000rpm. Once you get the WOT column set, you can taper everything down, and have your values start in the 30% throttle column. That'll help with part throttle response and help eliminate the feeling of lag when going from part throttle to WOT.

Running the BC solenoid before any positive pressure builds is not necessary. It just adds un-needed wear on the solenoid when you are sitting at idle. Typically I don't start the WGDC until 2500 RPM
You're not idling at WOT. The solenoid only operates when it's at the set RPM and the set throttle percentage.

Having a flat percentage, or tapering up, from the first 500rpm cell can help make the powerband feel more linear, and reduce the feeling of turbo lag when you whack the throttle wide open, instead of feeling a split second of lag with the sudden hit of torque. Granted, you're usually not doing 2000rpm WOT pulls unless you're tuning, but just another one of those personal preferences.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Having a flat percentage, or tapering up, from the first 500rpm cell can help make the powerband feel more linear, and reduce the feeling of turbo lag when you whack the throttle wide open, instead of feeling a split second of lag with the sudden hit of torque.
do you have a log of this? that shows the difference in spool rates for these settings?
I only ask because I've tried it several different ways, and as long as the boost pressure is below the set WG pressure, then it doesn't change anything until you get within a few lbs of the WG opening pressure.

So now I'm curious to see some results of this, since I couldn't find any difference.

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
I've read that you shouldn't go to 100%DC on a solenoid. They can be stuck open. I would try to stay at <= 90, although on my stock turbo I don't need much more than 75% at anytime.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I've read that you shouldn't go to 100%DC on a solenoid. They can be stuck open. I would try to stay at <= 90, although on my stock turbo I don't need much more than 75% at anytime.
that is an interesting problem. I have had a meth injection solenoid stick open before.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The correction intervals need to be higher. 2 or 3 works well to correct enough, but not correct too much. An interval of 1 corrects too much and you get a wavy boost line. With the way the boost correction works, an interval set at 0 will completely dump all boost the split second you go over your target. The error correction table can be zero'd to get your raw WGDC on target, and then may take a little tweaking from stock values to get a nice consistent curve every time.

I'm assuming this is on the stock turbo? Don't be afraid to go higher from 5500rpm and taper up to 100% by 7000rpm. Once you get the WOT column set, you can taper everything down, and have your values start in the 30% throttle column. That'll help with part throttle response and help eliminate the feeling of lag when going from part throttle to WOT.
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm running the stock turbo. I'm going to change up the settings, so far I just halved them all, now I'm going to start with the 30% column like you suggested and I put the interval change values to 3. Also, in a different post I remember you talking about leaving only the last two columns filled for the high gear setting, so that's what I did. So do I start modifying the values in the low gear setting?
Also, :ttiwwp:

And after that I modified my low gear map to look like this

also, where can I find TPS added WGDC setting? Can't quite see it in my ROM (pic please)

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
Source?

Mine has been set up for 100% for a long time and never had an issue.
I'm not saying you'll have an issue, but if you look up continuous duty solenoids, you'll see that only some are rated for constant 100% duty. Ones that aren't can overheat and stick open or just fail. You may be fine, especially if you aren't at 100% all the time.

I can't seem to find out if the GrimmSpeed's are rated as such. From what I can tell, GrimmSpeed uses the MAC 35a-aaa-ddba-1ba solenoid and the only docs I can find on that say 10-90%. I just sent them an message to find out for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
do you have a log of this? that shows the difference in spool rates for these settings?
I only ask because I've tried it several different ways, and as long as the boost pressure is below the set WG pressure, then it doesn't change anything until you get within a few lbs of the WG opening pressure.

So now I'm curious to see some results of this, since I couldn't find any difference.
Measureable difference, no I don't have any back to back logs that show a difference. I was mainly just talking about how the pull feels when driving the car. To me, it was the difference of a smooth linear pull as opposed to that slight bit of lag with the noticeable torque hit...like I said, personal preference. I have my table set up with the whole column filled, starting at 500rpm. It's not always running the solenoid because I'm not always in a throttle column with WGDC values.

I like having WGDC the instant I whack the throttle open, and everywhere in between above 30% throttle. Below 30% is all zeros, and also my 5th gear is all zeros except the WOT columns...and even then, values at WOT are zeros up to 3500.

Also, I've had my top end set at 100% WGDC for as long as I've had my Grimmspeed 3 port...over 4 years now. Never had any problem with it sticking closed.

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
I just heard back from GS. They said 100% will definitely heat up the solenoid, but so far they haven't had any reliability issues with doing so. So I suppose there is nothing to worry about. :)

I'll still run mine at < 80% since I don't make any more boost if it's higher (at high RPMS) on my stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm running the stock turbo. I'm going to change up the settings, so far I just halved them all, now I'm going to start with the 30% column like you suggested and I put the interval change values to 3. Also, in a different post I remember you talking about leaving only the last two columns filled for the high gear setting, so that's what I did. So do I start modifying the values in the low gear setting?
Also,

And after that I modified my low gear map to look like this

also, where can I find TPS added WGDC setting? Can't quite see it in my ROM (pic please)
Yeah that looks like a good start, except high gear I would normally zero out the low end rpm up to about 3000-3500, and then taper up to your target WGDC at 4000-4500.

What do you mean "TPS added WGDC setting"?

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
Here's my WGDC table (work in progress still, but pretty close to final). Please for the love of god don't just apply these numbers to your car.

Not saying this is right or wrong... just what's working for me at the moment.

Attachments

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
Yeah that looks like a good start, except high gear I would normally zero out the low end rpm up to about 3000-3500, and then taper up to your target WGDC at 4000-4500.
I assume your crossover is around 70-75 (so 4th and 5th are considered high gear)?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I assume your crossover is around 70-75 (so 4th and 5th are considered high gear)?
Nope, my crossover is 55, so only 5th is my high gear.

And this is what my WGDC tables look like. It might look a little different than some of you are used to seeing, but along with Error Correction, they do exactly what I want them to do, and I have a nice consistent boost curve in any gear, and after every shift.

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
Nope, my crossover is 55, so only 5th is my high gear.

And this is what my WGDC tables look like. It might look a little different than some of you are used to seeing, but along with Error Correction, they do exactly what I want them to do, and I have a nice consistent boost curve in any gear, and after every shift.
Ya I'm using upwards EC to bring me to my target to avoid overboosting on shifts. Once I finish getting everything smoothed I'm going to limit high gear boost.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NOTE TO ANYONE READING THIS THAT HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE IN TUNING:

The maps you see in this post are USER SPECIFIC which means they WILL CAUSE DAMAGE to your car if you ignorantly copy the data. Use the maps in this post for REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY.

Still working on my high gear maps. Once it's ready I'll post it up.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So here's what I've got so far and this is what I'm going to start with:
Stock turbo with a K&N drop in. As soon as the ebcs is in I will go ahead and test it out, just need some opinions before I do. Also, BakaUnchi told me to "change TPS added WGDC to 4 instead of 10" and I have no clue where that setting is, I looked all over the ROM and nothing.

·
[Administrator]
3,246 Posts
I don't want to speak for the master, but I believe he means to change the 10s in "Reactive Solenoid Max Total Upward WGDC Correction vs TPS" to 4s.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts