Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are all the required parts for this job? I have a pretty good idea but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. The reason I want to do this is because I want to make something new and be unique. I know it will cost a lot of money and be cheaper to buy a car with AWD from the factory. That's not my point, I have no problem spending money if it allows me to be unique. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic please let me know.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
What are all the required parts for this job? I have a pretty good idea but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. The reason I want to do this is because I want to make something new and be unique. I know it will cost a lot of money and be cheaper to buy a car with AWD from the factory. That's not my point, I have no problem spending money if it allows me to be unique. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic please let me know.

Quote from another forum on this same topic:
"I don't know if I'd want all that 168 hp of fury trying to power four wheels."
The vehicle below is unique. it also costs $600k or so if I am not mistaken. can you afford that? I would assume no, then you are not really unique any more. You are identical to a number of other people trying to take rather cheap vehicles and blow shit tons of money for being "unique".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No that's not unique that's factory anyone with a bank account can buy one and drive it. I want to build something not buy something.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Taking a car that you can get awd isn't really unique. Pretty silly. Taking a fwd 7th gen Celica and stuffing the power plant and awd system of an sti, now that's pretty unique and I would love to check that car over if the chance arose.
But if a gts is sitting over there with an awd set up all I would think to myself is wow... That's a lot of waisted money.

"Unique" sure. Financial mistake is a better term. It would be much easier to buy a Ralliart and "swap" in your engine. Much better results with half the get up and go. Say hello to bogsville.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Don't they make some of the base model lancers with awd these days?? Therefore, this wouldn't be unique at all and just a terrible waste of thousands of dollars. I sure hope you're not married!

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
No that's not unique that's factory anyone with a bank account can buy one and drive it. I want to build something not buy something.
Until you go to the manufacturing plant and hand build the AWD, body panels, chassis, etc. you're still buying the vehicle. The "built, not bought" argument is silly and constitutes a faulty generalization that people with large bank accounts just go out and buy the fastest car they can afford, but know nothing about it.

Good luck with your attempt, if you actually attempt it, but I think you're falling into a rabbit hole with this idea. While it might be "unique" in definition, sometimes that's not always a good thing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't they make some of the base model lancers with awd these days?? Therefore, this wouldn't be unique at all and just a terrible waste of thousands of dollars. I sure hope you're not married!
They are rare, but yeah they make base lancers with AWD and CVT transmissions..

I didn't think they existed until i seen a guy at my local autocross show up in one..

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Nope, that's unique. That 6 wheel thing is single model ever built as prototype.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Outstanding thread. Stunning.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What are all the required parts for this job? I have a pretty good idea but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. The reason I want to do this is because I want to make something new and be unique. I know it will cost a lot of money and be cheaper to buy a car with AWD from the factory. That's not my point, I have no problem throwing away large sums of cash and being called stoooopid if it allows me to be unique. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic please let me know.
:duh:

·
0 Posts
I want to build something not buy something.
But what's the point? Wouldn't a AWD swap just make it like a less powerful ralliart (in spirit anyway)

Building anything "unique" with a lancer is like trying to do that with a mustang. Not much you can do that hasn't already been done.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Outstanding thread. Stunning.

Woah, hey there stranger. How's things been, last I remember you were debating on selling your car or not?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Woah, hey there stranger. How's things been, last I remember you were debating on selling your car or not?
still have the Evo, not sure what I'm going to do. But I have almost completed my E46 M3 GTS3 build, had it on track first time last weekend. Remarkably different than the Evo.

I certainly don't want to hijack such a glorious thread. So let us continue to explore the benefits of expressing ones uniqiness thru un-necessary Lancer modifcation. I'm excited to see the OP Rube Goldberg his GTS.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Man even I have to come back for this one.

Hey Chad how's it going?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Man even I have to come back for this one.

Hey Chad how's it going?
Indeed. I was responding to a PM and happened to see this, was worth exploring. And it hasn't disappointed.

Going good man, hope you're the same. I miss the Evo, it is such a beast. But it couldn't haven withstood a 30 min race in its current setup and would have been uncompetative in the other classes I could build it for. The M3 won't be as fast, but should prove to be far more reliable and easier on consumables.

I'm not active in the least on any BMW forums, not the same.

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
Indeed. I was responding to a PM and happened to see this, was worth exploring. And it hasn't disappointed.

Going good man, hope you're the same. I miss the Evo, it is such a beast. But it couldn't haven withstood a 30 min race in its current setup and would have been uncompetative in the other classes I could build it for. The M3 won't be as fast, but should prove to be far more reliable and easier on consumables.

I'm not active in the least on any BMW forums, not the same.
No kidding! Just bought an A6 and joined some Audi forums.......I know what its like.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts