Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The controversial question that I thought I'd pose my fellow X owners about. I've read many forums (different auto enthusiast forums) and know its one of the top argued items in an engine build. I have noticed that the 4G63 guys will tell you that the I-beam is the way to go, but I have some experience with Honda motor builds (turbo and n/a) and know plenty of guys with B-Series motors, high whp that run H-Beams and rev the sheit out of them with no issues (500+whp turbo or N/A on the Bottle). Would love to hear what an engineer (or a very very experienced engine builder) would say both + and - on both rods and why 1 would be the true shine. Considering most of us (even those with built motors) don't really see above 550+whp is an I beam an overkill, or worth that piece of mind? I also understand the true deciding/major factor that plays into a rods fatigue is its actual metallurgy allot of times, or unseen blemishes in the metal.

So whats your thoughts? Really worth (from most reputable) the 2x price for us guys who aren't making 600+whp?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I picked I beams because my goal is 750/800 whp and I don't want to worry about my rods later. I personally believe weight is just as important and that's where h beams come into play. I know arron from English racing has thousands of miles on his 800 whp Evo and he is running h beams for the weight savings.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
go I beam
Any further insight, other then just stating the above. :tumbleweed:

Why? Because its the more expensive of the two rod design types, therefore must be the better for the application? Did you say that because its what you run? Why would an H beam not support the majority of power made by most of us X owners?

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
I picked I beams because my goal is 750/800 whp and I don't want to worry about my rods later. I personally believe weight is just as important and that's where h beams come into play. I know arron from English racing has thousands of miles on his 800 whp Evo and he is running h beams for the weight savings.
Do you know what brand of H beam specifically?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
As much as I have spent doing things over and over again, I would go for something with a higher rating to try and avoid doing it over. The other thing, if you spend a couple extra hundred now and decide to go a lot further, as a precaution and want to run I beams then, the couple of hundred just turned into a lot more.

Yes there may not be a need right now, but you never know what you are going to be aiming for a year from now

·
aka mrubino83
4,161 Posts
I beam is usually gonna be stronger.

Im not talking about an eagle I beam vs a carillo H beam. Obviously material and quality play a large role, in addition to design.

But for instance if you are going with a Manley rod, the I beam will be much stronger than the H beam.

BTW, you get your box of goodies? Never heard back from you?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
From what I understand, when i had my motor built, the H beams are a tad wider and provide less clearance.

The h-beams rev quicker since they are lighter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wanted the best I could by and I bought the I beam. But it's a fine line there is alot of weight difference between a manely I beam and most h beam rods. If you picture yourself revving to 9000 rpm and 500 whp then I would suggest a h beam they will be nicer to bearing life. But if you want to make 800 whp and 600 wtq I would go I beam for the strength. I have never seen a h beam aftermarket rod fail on a healthy motor due to to much power not even at 800+ whp. But I have seen alot of bearing failures.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Be different, go X beam.
If it were only h or i, I all the way. Overengineer, always. Only way to keep the motor together.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
They're strong (engineering says stronger than I, who knows), they're proven (map's drag car, my car, few more), and they're light-ish. I recall them saying they're lighter than I beams by a little.

They're produced by howard's cams company, who makes a ton of huge HP v8 stuff here in the US. They're quite nice

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
it really depends on your goals..

10,000rpm and moderate HP? then Carrillo H Beam, because they are light and strong
8,500 and high HP? then Manley I, because they are strong

There are heaps of brands so just stick to what is proven...

I went Manley I's

I guess you can substitute the MAP-X-Beams for fun...

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
They're strong (engineering says stronger than I, who knows), they're proven (map's drag car, my car, few more), and they're light-ish. I recall them saying they're lighter than I beams by a little.

They're produced by howard's cams company, who makes a ton of huge HP v8 stuff here in the US. They're quite nice
I be running these. :rock:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
as I said, "few more" you levi, are unimportant enough to me to be part of that few. :neener:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I do plan to rev to 9k (cylinder head and valvetrain will be built) so I thinking of just going with a Manley H-Beam, as I don't see nor want to have a 600+whp car. Plus I really don't want to push the SST Transmission to those limitations, so a solid 500whp X is really my realistic goal. I guess my main concern would be is will they (H-Beam Manley) hold this kind of power without fatigue? My figuring is they have to be far stronger then the stock rods by a long shot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
From an engineer's perspective it's not just the shape... it's the dimensions of the H or the I.

Bascially a cross-sectional inertia problem.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I'd honestly only go with I beam or the MAP X. Wouldn't touch an H beam ever. You can rev high with these rods too. If you really care that much about a few grams of weight per rod, then you should care as much about building up the extra strength in the rods.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts