Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Hard to get into gear when car is on

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Fast4Life 
#1 · (Edited)
So last night I was driving my car taking it easy because im still breaking the clutch in and everything seemed fine. Woke up this morning and every gear is fighting me. When I muscle it into place and start driving it drives fine. Downshifting is a bit tough though. At a stop when I go to put it into gear occasionally it makes a little grind noise.

When the car is off it goes into any gear smoothly

Any help would be greatfully appreciated. I feel like all I do is post on this forum every weekend with a new problem and its extremely frustrating.

Update: bled the clutch and checked the shifter cables. Didn't fix problem

#10 ·
Thanks for helping YXD. Ill keep trying to trouble shoot the problem and keep you updated. Im hoping I dont need to drop the trans again thats never fun. Ordered the Magnus CMC hopefully adjusting the pedal and bleeding the slave will be enough. Im able to force it into gear and it drives normally but I dont want to break syncros.

#15 ·
I have changed to AMSOIL and everything my GSR still has trouble getting from 1st to 2nd gear when the car is cold. Every morning I basically have to double clutch to get it into 2nd gear smoothly or when going to second from first quickly go to neutral then to second to avoid the rough grind, hope this helps...

#16 ·
I used to have this issue. I found it was extremely hard to enter any gear when the car is on,
especially when cold and it isn't even that cold in LA( 60F recentlly ).
I don't know how old is your trans oil, but after I changed mine to mt85 2 weeks ago(at 15k), everything seems to be a lot smoother even when cold.
I am very surprised that 20F temperature difference would have this much impact to my car.
When it is anything above 80F, my car shifts very well.

I would say start with the fluid and see if that makes a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.