Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so i ordered a couple of takata 5 point harnesses and a sparco harness bar and i have a few questions.

1- Im still on the stock recaros is this ok while using harnesses?? i mean they have a hole for them.

2- How safe are harness bars?? i heard they are the best for doing these type of applications.

3- will i be able to use the 5 point harness on the stock recaros or should i use just the 4 points until i order my recaro one piece bucket seats?

4- May i retain the stock seatbelts for occasional street driving?? My car is my weekend warrior but i like to take it out on the streets some time so this is a big concern to me as using a harness in the streets just seems dumb.

5- Should i get the harness shoulder pads or i dont need them.

BTW: I dont want this for show im actually thinking of my own safety i track my car a lot and a roll cage is not an option right now. I feel with the stock seatbelt i move around to much!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can't use the crotch strap properly unless you cut a hole in the Recaro to feed up the strap.

Harness bars are good, a full cage of course, is better.

The stock seats could, potentially, break where they recline. If they did then a harness would be rendered ineffective. A single seat is stronger.

Pretty sure that your 4/5 pt is not DOT so you need oem belts for the street. Not to mention that other people will tease you for wearing a harness off track....

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Don't get a five-point. Like others have stated, the Recaro seats aren't set up for them. Get a set of Brides or something with the slot in the front for the five point. I've heard lots of good stuff about Schrothe Rally-4 harnesses. Bradze uses them and he's a track whore.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't get a five-point. Like others have stated, the Recaro seats aren't set up for them. Get a set of Brides or something with the slot in the front for the five point. I've heard lots of good stuff about Schrothe Rally-4 harnesses. Bradze uses them and he's a track whore.

Ummmmmm ya you can run a 5 point with stock seat just fine. The whole point of the crotch belt is to prevent the lap belt from riding up the torso. 4 point belts are gay and in imo are unsafe. Now to argue, most people will say that if you put a harness in a car without a full roll cage and the car rolls over then the chances of head injury are much higher then with the stock 3 point belt.
I've been running a 5 point harness on the track for some time and trust me it's not for show. It's functional and set up to be safe.
If you have a lot of money and wanna get an aftermarket seat then go ahead. But you do not need a hole to route the sub belt.

Ya I've been in a car with a 4 point and its dumb to even think to put that in your car. I even talked to a guy with the 4 point Taketa harness in his heavily modded s2k and asked him how he like it and he said it's sides up your torso when you tighten the shoulder belts.. You get into an accident and the lap belt which is suppose to lay across your hips are now across your ribs. I think you get the point if you get into an accident at the track how bad that would be compared to using the stock 3 point belt or a 5 point harness.
I've sat in a car around the track with the 4 point schrothe and it's just dumb, uncomfortable (because it slides up and is only a 2 inch wide belt which digs into the body) and unsafe if not set up properly imo.

Attachments

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
I'll take your word for it. I'm just repeating what I've read in other places. As for the four-points, yeah, they're not as safe, but you can buy some really reliable ones that are easy to install and take out on the fly and serve the purpose during HPDEs and such. But, I do agree, a five-point will be much safer in the long run.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
return all of that shit! get a schroth rallye 4 unless you plan on stripping down interior including those recaros.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
i think mlomker uses the rallye 4 as well, and thousands do in other cars. not expensive, what do you need an FIA rating for?

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
oh yeah, dont waste money on 5-pts, they might be fine for johnny rebel's trans-am, get 6 points.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah, dont waste money on 5-pts, they might be fine for johnny rebel's trans-am, get 6 points.
yeah i called vividracing and ask them to send me the 6 point instead, stock recaros will only be here for a month or two until i save up for some recaro racing non reclining buckets!! 1000 bucks a piece so i have to save up. How much do you think i can sell the stock ones for?? they are in tip top shape.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
good to hear your on the right track, takata is too much for me, but not everyone hates jdm.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ummmmmm ya you can run a 5 point with stock seat just fine. The whole point of the crotch belt is to prevent the lap belt from riding up the torso. 4 point belts are gay and in imo are unsafe. Now to argue, most people will say that if you put a harness in a car without a full roll cage and the car rolls over then the chances of head injury are much higher then with the stock 3 point belt.
I've been running a 5 point harness on the track for some time and trust me it's not for show. It's functional and set up to be safe.
If you have a lot of money and wanna get an aftermarket seat then go ahead. But you do not need a hole to route the sub belt.

Ya I've been in a car with a 4 point and its dumb to even think to put that in your car. I even talked to a guy with the 4 point Taketa harness in his heavily modded s2k and asked him how he like it and he said it's sides up your torso when you tighten the shoulder belts.. You get into an accident and the lap belt which is suppose to lay across your hips are now across your ribs. I think you get the point if you get into an accident at the track how bad that would be compared to using the stock 3 point belt or a 5 point harness.
I've sat in a car around the track with the 4 point schrothe and it's just dumb, uncomfortable (because it slides up and is only a 2 inch wide belt which digs into the body) and unsafe if not set up properly imo.
How do you run the crotch belt on the stock Recaros without cutting a hole in them? I couldn't tell from your photo.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
How do you run the crotch belt on the stock Recaros without cutting a hole in them? I couldn't tell from your photo.
The problem I have with not having the crotch-slot (lulz), is the extra stress it puts on the submarine belt by having to go around the seat. It just doesn't seem right not having the slot in the seats...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
return all of that shit! get a schroth rallye 4 unless you plan on stripping down interior including those recaros.
I cant tell you Iv been in a car with both the Shitroth and that RJS one.

1) RJS one is used on a Can-AM series race car.
2) it wont cut you in half like a basted turkey on Thanksgiving.
3) it holds way better and doesnt ride up your ribs.
4) unless you bend your stock endlinks at the track...........your not really tracking your car, time to trade it in for a Camry. :D

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
schroth may not be the best ya, but can i afford more, no. should i be tracking this car, absolutely not.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
schroth may not be the best ya, but can i afford more, no. should i be tracking this car, absolutely not.
The RJS harness was $185 installed and it's can-am approved....... All the installer did was fab up a brackets to bolt to the bottom of the seats. I mean they are just belts at the end of the day.

The race team it was bought from is willing to make more if there is interest.

Newb

·
Registered
314 Posts
The RJS harness was $185 installed and it's can-am approved....... All the installer did was fab up a brackets to bolt to the bottom of the seats. I mean they are just belts at the end of the day.

The race team it was bought from is willing to make more if there is interest.

Newb
Yup. Once you use a proper 5 point harness everything else will feel inferior. Plus the whole point of a harness to be functional and safe. Having 2 inch belts which slides up your torso will be not only a major safety concern imo but also a distraction while driving. And thats the last thing you want to have on your mind while tripoding the car.
The difference of a 2" vs 3" wide belt is huge and should be carefully considered when choosing a harness.
IMO stick with the stock 3 point belts and use a CG lock or don't waste you money on a 4 point harness.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
the only good reason for 3" belts is fender to fender competition where they're required. and 5 points suck dick in comparisson to 6.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
the only good reason for 3" belts is fender to fender competition where they're required. and 5 points suck dick in comparisson to 6.
Y so angry?

4 points suck monkey cock compared to 5 point :whipping: LOL

no man seriously, hop in my car I have a 5 point 3" setup just like junkie man, its great and it doest cost an arm and a leg and its safer because it wont ride up under your rib cage.

NEWB

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
not angry, i just really like my schroth harness, its good enough for now. once i pay off car i plan on getting a different seat, cage, and 6-pts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts