Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
[Detailing Moderator], [Local Team Mod], [Bone Clo
21,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOWDY!

So, apparently I stopped getting notifications that I was getting PMs. That sucks, because I have a *lot* that went unanswered. I haven't been around that much lately, moved across the country, got a new job where there's a keg at my desk that has a standing order to be swapped out every week, and moving again, and again, and again. Since I got here, I've lived in 3 places in 18 months, and my final PERMANENT residence will be done being built next summer (early Summer 2015). Yay, no more moving.

That having been said, a general response to all headlight inquiries is:
"I am currently not working on headlights at this time due to no place to do it. Next year I may do some light HL work again if the condo association doesn't complain about fumes on my balcony (it's in a high-rise). Stay tuned (if anyone still wants work done)."

There are others who do this work, but honestly, sometimes people come to me for some guidance to do it themselves and I give it out freely. I don't get butthurt when people want to do it themselves, and I looooove when people come back with a finished project, totally ecstatic they did it themselves, even though it's scary and slow-going the first time.

SO - let's do this. I'm going to write up some how-to documents on how to do all this work on an Evo X ***YOURSELF***. I'll check in the threads to answer questions (PM is not the best way to get me at the moment - lol) as best I can and provide some pictures/diagrams if necessary.

Let me give some back to the community for all the fun we've had and the cool projects I've been able to work on for you over the years!!

Ideas for how-to threads (I figure each will be a separate thread):
  1. Opening/Sealing Headlights (to start and finish all work)
  2. Troubleshooting and preventing condensation
  3. Painting headlights (with and without disassembly)
  4. Halos!
  5. Demon eyes!!
  6. FX-Rs!!! (this one is not for the faint of heart..you can ruin a set of HLs)
  7. RETROFITS!!!! (this one is fun, and not that difficult)
  8. Quads!!!!! (I haven't done a set yet, so someone else can chime in on this one)
You can then cherry-pick the pieces you want and put them together for your own project, with the help of the community.

Sound cool? :D

:shades::rock:

Attachments

·
21,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I responded to as many as I could. I got through about 100 from the last 2 months, give or take. Wow..so many requests..

If you sent me a msg that wasn't about placing an order, but specific questions about how to do stuff, or issues you ran across, post them here and I'll respond.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I don't think its ricey. its rice if you shove a set of HIDs in halogen housing headlights and blind on coming traffic. if its done correctly, I think they look great and they give our car more character. I was never a fan of chrome headlights and I personally think the headlight's housing should've came blacked out in the first place. the FX-R are also amazing! the light output is much more crisp and beam is straighter across compared to stock, which has a hideous cut off. if you do quads, thats just cosmetic since the inner lens are your DRL, but I think they look cool.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
What's possible for we MR owners twith the fadctory HIDs to replace the front headlights? ALL of the aftermarket ones I have seen are only for "non-SSS to upgrade to HIDs" and specifically say they do not work with the MR/HID setup.

·
21,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's possible for we MR owners twith the fadctory HIDs to replace the front headlights? ALL of the aftermarket ones I have seen are only for "non-SSS to upgrade to HIDs" and specifically say they do not work with the MR/HID setup.
If you have factory HIDs, what would you like to replace? There are upgrade options available (e.g. FX-Rs) but it's a bit of cutting to get them to fit.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
So what's the deference between fx-r's and regular projectors?
The oem projectors on the evox have grooves cut into the back of em and the output sucks as a result. The fx ones are also an enclosed style and not open.

·
21,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mostly looking to replace faded, cloudy scratched stock HID lenses/housing.

Factory replacement housings are very expensive.
You can actually polish the clear covers and then apply a sealant to give them back their super clear shine. If you don't want to do this yourself, any detailing shop can do it for relatively little money (probably just a little more than what it would cost to buy the stuff yourself to do it, plus time involved). No need to buy replacements unless yours are cracked or broken. :)

Can the power leveling switch function of the factory HID be kept if doing a retrofit to the FX-R projectors?
Absolutely! The leveling is done by way of a little motor that attaches to the subframe inside, which is not attached to the rest of the headlight save for on a couple of bolts and a pivot point (ball and socket joint).

Replacing the projector means you're just attaching a new projector to the frame. The frame is the bit that moves.

So, yep! The leveling switch will still work, provided the HL is disassembled and retrofitted correctly so as not to break anything along the way. That's always a bummer when that happens.

·
21,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still working on various write-ups, guys. I'm at my family's place in Boston. I found two spare sets of SSS lights in the basement (LOL), which I forgot I had. I'm shipping them back to Seattle and I'll take them apart and take some pictures to accompany my write-ups. :D

Also, any questions you ask here I'll incorporate into a FAQ! Woot!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Awsome maybe I can build up the courage to finally do this next summer!! Thanks for taking your time to help everyone.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You can actually polish the clear covers and then apply a sealant to give them back their super clear shine. If you don't want to do this yourself, any detailing shop can do it for relatively little money (probably just a little more than what it would cost to buy the stuff yourself to do it, plus time involved). No need to buy replacements unless yours are cracked or broken. :)

Absolutely! The leveling is done by way of a little motor that attaches to the subframe inside, which is not attached to the rest of the headlight save for on a couple of bolts and a pivot point (ball and socket joint).

Replacing the projector means you're just attaching a new projector to the frame. The frame is the bit that moves.

So, yep! The leveling switch will still work, provided the HL is disassembled and retrofitted correctly so as not to break anything along the way. That's always a bummer when that happens.
only thing that sucks is that if its not super
cloudy or deep scratches it will cause tiny micro scratches, i call them light scratches because they only appear when under intense light.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts