Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know the Evo X has been out in Japan for a few months now. Since then, has anyone heard of any issues with the car?

I know there are a few differences with the JDM vs USDM models, but it would be a good gauge to find out what we future Evo X owners might expect from this new model. Especially since Mitsu doesnt seem to have a great record in both quality and service.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Delays in production due to SST tranny issues. Over heating of the SST in pre-production was noted. Besides that I haven't heard too much.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My window washer tank was leaking and it got my rear seat & trunk carpet wet. Went to the dealer and they replaced the tank, rear seat, and trunk carpet.
One other problem that I am having is erratic idle during cold start ups. The idling jumps anywhere from 1200 - 2000 RPM durning cold start ups. I've had the car jump on me while moving in slow traffic (first gear) and almost hit the car in front of me. The dealer can't seem to fix the problem yet but hopefully they'll fix it soon.
I've read that the HKS EVO X was leaking AYC fluid from the under carriage (near the rear diff).
I've also read that some folks are a little frustrated with the SST version of the EVO X, they say that there is a slight delay when suddenly going to WOT. I've never driven one myself so I don't know how much of a delay it is but I do plan on test driving one soon at my local dealer.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
My window washer tank was leaking and it got my rear seat & trunk carpet wet. Went to the dealer and they replaced the tank, rear seat, and trunk carpet.
Seems like they took good care of you there.

One other problem that I am having is erratic idle during cold start ups. The idling jumps anywhere from 1200 - 2000 RPM durning cold start ups.
Wow, that's not good. Does it throw any CELs? Have you played with anything under the hood?

I've had the car jump on me while moving in slow traffic (first gear) and almost hit the car in front of me. The dealer can't seem to fix the problem yet but hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Do you feel this is related to the erratic idle?

I've read that the HKS EVO X was leaking AYC fluid from the under carriage (near the rear diff).
What was the fix? New gasket?

I've also read that some folks are a little frustrated with the SST version of the EVO X, they say that there is a slight delay when suddenly going to WOT. I've never driven one myself so I don't know how much of a delay it is but I do plan on test driving one soon at my local dealer.
Is the SST available in Japan right now?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Seems like they took good care of you there.
Yeah, they took care of that problem right away.

Wow, that's not good. Does it throw any CELs? Have you played with anything under the hood?
I don't know what a CEL is, but no I haven't played with anything under the hood yet.

Do you feel this is related to the erratic idle?
Yes, when I'm just basically rolling in traffic (1st gear) sometimes it spikes to about 2000 RPM.

What was the fix? New gasket?
I believe it was a hose fitting that was leaking.

Is the SST available in Japan right now?
Yes, the first batch was released around the 20th of Dec.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SIC

Quote:
One other problem that I am having is erratic idle during cold start ups. The idling jumps anywhere from 1200 - 2000 RPM durning cold start ups.

Next time this occurs on a cold start depress the clutch if your surging , jumping , rolling idle goes back to normal , sounds like you may have a .............stuck starter interlock clutch switch , had a similar type problem with my Mazda RX8

Hope this is helpful

Cheers
Michael

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
I don't know what a CEL is, but no I haven't played with anything under the hood yet.
Sorry, Check Engine Light.

Yes, when I'm just basically rolling in traffic (1st gear) sometimes it spikes to about 2000 RPM.
Interesting. Please keep us posted on this issue. Perhaps even start a thread for it?

I believe it was a hose fitting that was leaking.
Ok, simple enough fix.

Yes, the first batch was released around the 20th of Dec.
Very cool.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This will be my first mitsubishi, and I gotta say that I've heard lots of stories about mitsubishis being poorly made, and this is one thing that seems to be proven time and time again. It's sad, really... I mean just as an example, cobb tuning says that stock evo 9's have lots of boost leaks because the hoses and vacuum lines aren't clamped tight enough from the factory. And don't even get me started on the tranny/clutch issues of the EVO 8/9. Even with Mitsubishi having better build quality than in past years... supposedly, they still have all these issues. The AYC leaking fluid because of a hose clamp failure? Are you fucking kidding me?! That could ruin the rear end of the car, and knowing Mitsubishi they would claim that it was abuse and not cover it under warranty. The car randomly jumps in first gear, making you almost hit the car in frnt of you? WTF?!?! I'm becoming more and more hesitant about purchasing this car, or any mitsubishi for that matter. The reason I bought an STi back in '04 instead of an EVO was the build quality reputation of Subaru vs Mitsubishi. Every EVO owner I know has had problems with their's, and I have always wanted the performance but been unwilling to take the chance on being left stranded on the side of the road. I love the performance, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying this car. For close to 40k with options, I'm starting to rethink my options. Anyone else having second thoughts about this car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
EVOXGSR, I would consider the X. The cars are not poorly made at all. They are actually made quite well. On the internet problems get blown out of proportioin all the time and with a performance oriented awd car driven by mainly people from 18-25, the 8/9 Evos were bound to have a few trans problems. For the most part, the trans has held up extraordinarily well for the way people beat on these cars.

My buddy has been a BWM fianance manager for years and the new BMWs have so many problems that he laughs with me. Toyota/Honda he claims make the best cars out there by far. Anyway, I am still strongly considering the X. It looks like a real nice car. I am 27 now. I like the X...period. it may be a little slower but it handles amazingly for a sedan, has an advanced AWD system, a nicer interior and looks good IMO. I am still a big 4g63 fan, and that is what I grew up tuning, but the X caters to me now that I am "grown up" : )

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree on many counts, and I am still considering the car, I'm just a little concerned about the car's issues, and the problems stated by sic are worrisome to me.My buddy's evo 8 had issues leaking oil from the cv joints and had clutch issues from about 8000 miles, and he is my age, 26, so it wasn't like an 18 yr old was banging on the car without knowing what the hell he was doing. It just concerns me a little bit. The fact that the car's that were given to motor trend and all the other magazines for testing all had issues does not say much about the quality of the car. Now, I'm still interested in the car, but I'm worried about making a $40,000 investment in a series of headaches that will last for a longer time than I care to endure.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dude, ur absolutely right. I'm 27 too and I'm sometimes too pragmatic witht the choices i make. I'm with you 100%. I LOVE the Evo and am excited just thinkin bout gettin one. I also understand that ANY high performance vehicle will be costly to fixand maintain, and is prone to having reliability issues. You make a legitimate point, its not cheap, but its also a KICk ASS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im also thinking that by the second year into production, Mitsubishi might get those quirks fixed. We'll see.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Most cars reliability today is an issue my Mazda RX8 had major - minor problems , guess i should not have bought the 1st years production , the parts that are being placed in these cars are of poor quality mass produced with cheap materials and cheap labour .

Problem is that theres too much money around , at 27 guys in my generation didnt have the money you guys have today,and are more then willing to spend on your toys , clothing , houses etc quality goods and workmanship have gone the way of the Dodo.

This time around i am happy to sit and wait and not get the 1st or second years production run where car manufacturers learn to shave on the customers faces :amen:

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
no problems with mine yet.. 1600kms and counting.
Running beeeauutifuly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, It's good to know that your's is fine. I love the new evo and can't wait until it comes out, I just hope I don't get one that's got's problems. I mean, there are countless things that I like about the car, and only a few things that I don't; the straight line speed, and the fact that the GSR with all options will fetch close to 40k, and at that price leather should be standard, not just on the MR. Paying that much for a car with cloth interior is bullshit. I guess you can't have it all, right? By the way, sic or on2it, is there any haggling over the price or are they strict about not cutting deals on a "high demand" car? I am hoping to get a little bit of a deal, because you should always get at least a little discount when buying a car.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
MMCNZ sold the evo X 3K under what they were selling the Evo 9.
I got a frebbies thrown in on what I thought was an excellent deal.... until I heard rumours of some excellent pricing out your way but from what I gather nothings official yet out in the US?

I had a 2K's worth of goodies thrown in. If you have all the cash up front I'm sure you could haggle further ( each dealer's different even though their markup might be the same their stock might be different allowing 'allowances').. KMX might give you an idea of what you might be able to get.. but even then that information might be too sensitive to disclose.. not good business practise.

If you trade in a vehicle that might give you a bit of room to negotiate even further.. ( I didnt..)

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Granted, Mitsu doesn't have the best track record when it comes to reliability, but they're not bad either. I've used a wrench once or twice in my day (I own a tuning business) so I'm not particularly scared about things breaking since I know how to fix them.

That said, a slow leak out of an oil line isn't a big deal so long as it's fixed. As for SiC's revving issue, he may have a bad air meter or a vacuum leak somewhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.