Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all!!! Ok so I'm in dire need of some help. I got my 08 GSR X a few months ago and hardly drive it, and it came with a few bolt-ons. So I'll be driving and the "service engine soon" light will come on and go off. Well recently, it just stays on. I've been to several different places with different answers... your gas cap, check the cel eliminator (car has no cat) and make sure it's tight etc. So I take it to Mitsubishi dealership today and they tell me some bull like it's not the gas cap, something to do with the MAF but don't worry about it it's fine. There is a BRAND new MAF on the car so I know that's some bull. Someone suggested it could be a purge solenoid? I'm at a loss. Dealership says well you have some pretty heavy mods (just bolt-ons??) and the car shouldn't be street legal... It's because of the mods that you have the CEL. That's bull because previous owner never had problems. It would only happen occasionally but now it's just on. It's been reset and it'll just come back on. I read something about a EGR valve/hoses/solenoid? PLLLEAAAASSSEEE help!!! Mods sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

I also searched but the only thing I found was the OBDII sticky list. ANY help/advice is muchhhhh appreciated!!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
May be a tune problem. I have read that if the DTC's were disabled incorrectly it does this. If so I am sure someone here can help you out. Also did you try resetting your ECU by disconnecting the battery and holding down your brake pedal for 30 seconds or so and reconnecting. Try it, it may work.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
p0403 is your EGR exhaust gas regulator has short circuited, Check your O2 sensor the soleniod could be stuck.

Take it out and try cleaning it, then reset your ECU before using your OBD II.
If that dont work you will probably need to get a new one.

p0090 fuel high pressure regulator,

Possible causes could be....

- blocked fuel filter (i doubt it)
- Faulty fuel pump regulator (my money is on this one)
- faulty fuel pump (maybe)
- Fuel quantity solenoid harness is open or shorted out (get a cicuit tester on it)

hows the car running?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
bump for more info

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the input man! I checked the secondary 02 sensor and it was fine. The CEL was fine too. Primary looked fine as well. Where is the EGR located? The car runs fine, only thing I would say is different is that it seems to burn a little more gas but besides that no problems? To reset my ECU do I just unhook the positive terminal on the battery? Think I heard something about pressing the brake for 30 seconds after that? lol man I'm new to Mitsu's! GREATLY appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
ok thanks for the input man! I checked the secondary 02 sensor and it was fine. The CEL was fine too. Primary looked fine as well. Where is the EGR located? The car runs fine, only thing I would say is different is that it seems to burn a little more gas but besides that no problems? To reset my ECU do I just unhook the positive terminal on the battery? Think I heard something about pressing the brake for 30 seconds after that? lol man I'm new to Mitsu's! GREATLY appreciate the help!!!
no, to reset the ECU you need to disconect both cables, (IMPORTANT) then you need to put the negative cable on the positive terminal (might need to use a jump lead or starter cable as the neg dosnt reach the positive terminal). Just watch that the pos CABLE isnt near any metal etc and (dont connect that to anything).

Once the Neg cable it on the poss terminal, leave it on for around 30 mins, whilst your waiting go and turn your lights on,press n hold brake pedal, horn etc.... this is just to wipe any power that could be left in the electrical system causing the ECU to hold on to the codes.

After 30 mins, reconnect everything back up.

then start up your car, if you have a Mitsi Multi Media sat Nav, you will be able to see on the screen the car will go through a service test.

Then once its done that, connect up your code reader to see if the codes are still there..?

you never know the codes might dissapear dude, some do.

Im asking on other forums about your problem, ill get back to you.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, to reset the ECU you need to disconect both cables, (IMPORTANT) then you need to put the negative cable on the positive terminal (might need to use a jump lead or starter cable as the neg dosnt reach the positive terminal). Just watch that the pos CABLE isnt near any metal etc and (dont connect that to anything).

Once the Neg cable it on the poss terminal, leave it on for around 30 mins, whilst your waiting go and turn your lights on,press n hold brake pedal, horn etc.... this is just to wipe any power that could be left in the electrical system causing the ECU to hold on to the codes.

After 30 mins, reconnect everything back up.

then start up your car, if you have a Mitsi Multi Media sat Nav, you will be able to see on the screen the car will go through a service test.

Then once its done that, connect up your code reader to see if the codes are still there..?

you never know the codes might dissapear dude, some do.

Im asking on other forums about your problem, ill get back to you.
I greatly appreciate all the help man!!! I've been out of town so just getting back to this. I had disconnected the battery by just taking the positive wire off the battery, I had nooooo idea about taking both neg and pos off, then touching the neg to the pos terminal? When I took the pos off and held the brake for about a min the codes cleared, then came back like 2 mins later. I'm gonna try this method next to see what happens. btw, I checked that link out, don't fully understand it. Looks like good info but hey, I'm a Evo NOOB lol. Appreciate all your help again man!!! If that doesn't work I'ma try to go to my tuner this Sat

·
Registered
923 Posts
All I do is remove the positive terminal and hold the brakes down for 30 seconds let sit for 10 minutes reconnect battery. Done. Or you could unplug the ECU for 10 minutes or so.

5,198 Posts
what...the....?? :wtfsign::wtfsign::wtfsign::wtfsign::wtfsign:

1. Remove positive cable.

2. Pump the brakes.

3. Reconnect

Ecu reset. Good to go, without the crazy talk above.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Soo...... intrigued by resetting my ECU to clear codes (i have a AWD pump slowly failing and my care reads service required and I am just waiting to have the pump fully go out before spending 1-2K to replace it) does this clear EVERYTHING.. like my tune.. sorry for the Noob question I had read this and peaked my interest.

Thanks and sorry, I dont mean to hi-jack this thread!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol np man gotta get SES' cleared! So update fellas, i reset my ecu by taking some advice and disconnecting both terminals on the battery, voila! SES gone, hasn't come on at all. I'll give it a week and see if that solved it for real. Dunno if it means anything, but when I just unplugged the positive it came back on after a few minutes. When I did both and held the brake for ~30 seconds it went away and hasn't come back.

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
I don't get it, Can't you do this a lot easier if one were to use the Tactrix cable?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
lol np man gotta get SES' cleared! So update fellas, i reset my ecu by taking some advice and disconnecting both terminals on the battery, voila! SES gone, hasn't come on at all. I'll give it a week and see if that solved it for real. Dunno if it means anything, but when I just unplugged the positive it came back on after a few minutes. When I did both and held the brake for ~30 seconds it went away and hasn't come back.
nice one:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts