Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I drove to san fran from LA. On the i5 hwy, about half way to sf, going about 80mph on cruise control and shit hit the fan. While i was driving, 5th gear decided to pop out of gear. I didnt know what happened so i put it back into gear. 10 sec later it popped out again and right there I knew something was fucked. It only happens in 5th gear and I havent had it happen to the other gears. Nothing is leaking and i somewhat checked the linkages to see if something is loose but I dont see anything, i have to wait till i get home to check that shit.
I recently bought the torque solution short shifter,

right here
https://www.maperformance.com/products/torque-solution-short-shifter-base-shifter-cable-and-gate-selector-bushing-combo-08-15-mitsubishi-evo-x-ts-ss-005f

My buddy and I installed this together and it was fairly easy to install. Didnt come across any problems installing. Went for a test drive and everything was buttery smooth.

Now being in sf and away from LA i took it to a shop and they said that it might be my synchro going out. The car drives fine, it shifts fine, it accelerates perfectly but at random it will come out of gear. I have never had any problems with my tranny besides replacing my clutch. I know its not my clutch because I know how a clutch goes out. Now when I have to drive back to LA, I have to hold my damn 5th gear in place so it doesnt pop out of gear. Also when it does pop out of gear, my RPM goes and passes revv limiter.This isnt good and after researching, Im starting to believe that it is my synchros that need to be replaced.

LMK what you guys think and if you guys have had the same problem. Thanks for reading, I know its long asf. <3

·
Registered
183 Posts
Could be a number of failures inside the trans but if it's any of them, you're looking at a rebuild so I won't run through the list of possibilities. Since you just installed a short shifter, it could well be as-installed it's not going all the way into the odd numbered gears and that's why 5th is popping out. Having had my shifter apart to install a Works shifter I can't think of any obvious adjustments. You could check to be sure everything is still attached and tight. You could also shift into 5th with the car off and see if you can grab the selector on the gearbox and push it further into gear. If so, it's a problem with your short shifter, the install, or a bushing somewhere..... If not, it could be an internal issue.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This morning I drove to san fran from LA. On the i5 hwy, about half way to sf, going about 80mph on cruise control and shit hit the fan. While i was driving, 5th gear decided to pop out of gear. I didnt know what happened so i put it back into gear. 10 sec later it popped out again and right there I knew something was fucked. It only happens in 5th gear and I havent had it happen to the other gears. Nothing is leaking and i somewhat checked the linkages to see if something is loose but I dont see anything, i have to wait till i get home to check that shit.
I recently bought the torque solution short shifter,

right here
https://www.maperformance.com/products/torque-solution-short-shifter-base-shifter-cable-and-gate-selector-bushing-combo-08-15-mitsubishi-evo-x-ts-ss-005f

My buddy and I installed this together and it was fairly easy to install. Didnt come across any problems installing. Went for a test drive and everything was buttery smooth.

Now being in sf and away from LA i took it to a shop and they said that it might be my synchro going out. The car drives fine, it shifts fine, it accelerates perfectly but at random it will come out of gear. I have never had any problems with my tranny besides replacing my clutch. I know its not my clutch because I know how a clutch goes out. Now when I have to drive back to LA, I have to hold my damn 5th gear in place so it doesnt pop out of gear. Also when it does pop out of gear, my RPM goes and passes revv limiter.This isnt good and after researching, Im starting to believe that it is my synchros that need to be replaced.

LMK what you guys think and if you guys have had the same problem. Thanks for reading, I know its long asf. <3
Your synchro wont be the cause for a gear popping out. Rather the Syncro slider/hub, or shift fork. The collar engages synchro teeth (commonly referred as dog teeth) on the gear, and the collar has small little ramps inside it that keep the teeth positively engaged to the collar.

The synchro itself is only there to speed/slow/match the gear speed to output speed, so if you are not experiencing gear crunch/grinding or "notchiness" then the synchro itself is likely alright. Since the X has triple cone 1-3, and double 4-5, when those wear, you definitely will get grinding noises as the gears don't speed match to the collars before their teeth engage.

If you've verified 100% that the cable/shifter/cable mounts are all good, then you're looking at some sort of transmission rebuild if I'm being honest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you remove the trim around the shifter, the cables are just forward of it. One cable is for even gears, the other for odd. Fifth causes the cable to be the tightest when engaged. If it's out of the bracket it clips into, it can pop out of gear, or not engage at all.

Happened to me about a month after installing my Works shifter cage. Randomly lost gears 1, 3, and 5. Check that those two cables are clipped into their bracket. Hopefully that solves your problem bud.

·
Registered
887 Posts
When you remove the trim around the shifter, the cables are just forward of it. One cable is for even gears, the other for odd. Fifth causes the cable to be the tightest when engaged. If it's out of the bracket it clips into, it can pop out of gear, or not engage at all.

Happened to me about a month after installing my Works shifter cage. Randomly lost gears 1, 3, and 5. Check that those two cables are clipped into their bracket. Hopefully that solves your problem bud.
That's not how the cables work.

At the shifter, the cable on the driver side is the "crossover" and this one selects which shift fork to use. The cable attached to the bottom of the shifter is the "selector" cable, and as the name implies, selects the gear by moving the fork in or out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts