Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, sorry if this is a dumb question but I have looked for what seems like forever and still can’t find an answer. I know a couple ways I could do this but I’m just looking for the best safest way.

So my car is stored for this winter (I would love to go drive it but I don’t get my licence until the summer haha). So I went to start the car after a month or so and the battery is dead. I pulled the battery out of the car just so it’s sitting inside, it’s been about a week and I want to start my car and let it idle now and every week or so.

So my question is what’s the best way to charge my battery? Jump start it? Hook it up to a charger? After it’s started I want to charge the battery fully and then pull the IOD fuse so the battery won’t drain, and plug it back in every time I want to idle the car. I know I could jump it and drive but currently the car is only on parking insurance.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Some trickle chargers won't charge a dead battery. There are some hacks out there to do it though if you search charging a completely flat battery. You could run it for 30 min after a jump start and see if the charger can take it from there. I've had a lot of batteries that just don't come back after going all the way dead too and you might just need a new battery. Just leave a trickle charger on it after you get the battery sorted to keep it from dying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all, sorry if this is a dumb question but I have looked for what seems like forever and still can’t find an answer. I know a couple ways I could do this but I’m just looking for the best safest way.

So my car is stored for this winter (I would love to go drive it but I don’t get my licence until the summer haha). So I went to start the car after a month or so and the battery is dead. I pulled the battery out of the car just so it’s sitting inside, it’s been about a week and I want to start my car and let it idle now and every week or so.

So my question is what’s the best way to charge my battery? Jump start it? Hook it up to a charger? After it’s started I want to charge the battery fully and then pull the IOD fuse so the battery won’t drain, and plug it back in every time I want to idle the car. I know I could jump it and drive but currently the car is only on parking insurance.

Thanks guys.
I would just replace it when you are ready to drive and than maintain that new battery with a trickle charger if you are not driving often...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts