Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car wont start any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

It will continually crank over and over with just the fast key, but once putting the real key into the ignition it won't crank.

Dash lights up, no codes are popping up, changed battery, changed to the MAF aftermarket relays kit.

Car has been sitting for awhile since the pandemic so it does have older gas in the tank I hear the field pump priming I can't tell if there's a spark or not with the spark plugs the car only has 26000 miles on it.

Running out of ideas to try before trying to find a shop to tow it to.

Car ran fine just a couple months ago, with a new battery now won't start. Battery is reading fully charged, but I know agm batteries are testy if they sit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you put the "real key" into the ignition, are you using the keyfob to hold the key? The immobilizer chip in the fob has to be right next to the ignition.

Do you have the second fob for the car you could try?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok. Try swapping your fuel pump relay with the high beam or a known good relay (or just order an update kit if you haven't done that rodeo yet).

Beyond that, checking for fuel, spark, and compression (I doubt you skipped timing) would be the basic next steps. There have been a lot of these threads but very few with a posted resolution.
Those that had resolution indicated they had flooded the engine and that starting it with the gas pedal depressed to clear the flooding was their fix. Everyone else just went silent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The relays are all brand new, just replaced those trying to fix this.

I'm wondering if the fuel could be so bad it doesn't want to start. My air fuel reader was reading at 15, now after having the battery unplugged for all night and day I went to try starting it again the gauge was now reading and climbing to 17.9 then goes to - - -

Which if thats the case it would be coating my sparks right?

Might have to funnel out the gas? I've never had a car not start due to the gas before, but it has been sitting awhile.

·
Registered
11 Evo X MR
43 Posts
Those reading seem correct bc you aren't burning the fuel, it's all fresh air running through your exhaust. If you have done any work in the bay while it has sat, check to make sure your grounds are all good and clean.

Also, You can pull the plugs and have someone crank as you ground them to confirm spark, at least that is how I do it with my Honda, never had to with the Evo. Could also be stuck injectors from sitting.. hmm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the issue, feeling dumb, but so fking happy. The person who installed the aftermarket headlights mounted the fuses in the wrong place and was trying to bypass the ignition fuse. It was never an issue until maybe when I was changing the relays I bumped the headlight fuse and I thought I put it back into the correct location..... It was stopping the car from fully turning over. Now that fuse area has been seperated and won't ever be an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts