Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my evo has been in the shop for the last 3 months getting the motor built after I bent a rod by going low on oil. I went with upgraded rods, pistons, valve springs and retainers, and a stage 3+ spec clutch and AMS MC reinforcement ring.

I know for the first 1000 miles, I will need to break both the engine and clutch in but after that, I would like to pull what ever extra power I can out of my evo with my new found parts.

I just purchased a Cobb AP. I wanted this to log, and also so I can run multiple tunes. I do have a few AP related questions if you guys dont mind answering.

1.) I am already tuned. When I marry my AP to my car, will it consider that my base tune, and when I unmarry will it return this tune to my car?

2.) If I go to a tuner (i will be going to iveytune) and I ask him to give me 2 tunes (I want an E85 and a 93 pump tune) can he do that, and put them both on my AP so i can switch back and forth as needed? Can I then if need be create a third tune off of those myself for high gas milage? and switch between all 3 as I see fit?

3.) When switching from 93 to E85, if you still ahve some 93 in the tank and then top off with E85, can this cause any potential issues?

Also, after I break my car in, I will want to go E85 as stated above, but I dont know exactly what supporting mods Ill need to add.

I am assuming my 850cc injectors are too small and will need to be upgraded.

4.) would 1200cc's be enough or should I look at bigger? (i have an FP green)

5.) I know with E85 i will be to the limits of the stock fuel pump. At this point would a drop in DW300 fuel pump give me enough fueling? Would I be OK without a FPR and is there an upgraded filter option, to keep from overflowing through the stock filter? I know a lot of people say it cant handle much more flow, so you either need to drill it out, or put in another filter?

6.) if I want sean Ivey to tune me for 93 and E85 in the same day, how can I do this? last time I was there I dont think he had gas pumps, would I need to bring a few gallons of E85 with me, and can we tune a 93 and e85 map back to back?

7.) what kind of power could i expect to see with a 93 pump retune, with upgraded engine internals?

8.) what kind of power will I see going E85, like is there an estimate power increase average over 93?

· Registered
204 Posts
1.) I am already tuned. When I marry my AP to my car, will it consider that my base tune, and when I unmarry will it return this tune to my car?

cobb does save the map that is in the car.

2.) If I go to a tuner (i will be going to iveytune) and I ask him to give me 2 tunes (I want an E85 and a 93 pump tune) can he do that, and put them both on my AP so i can switch back and forth as needed? Can I then if need be create a third tune off of those myself for high gas milage? and switch between all 3 as I see fit?

- with cobb it already comes with 10+ maps, for 91 oct, 93 oct, for valet, anti theft and such, you can manage those maps as well as upload many of yours.

3.) When switching from 93 to E85, if you still ahve some 93 in the tank and then top off with E85, can this cause any potential issues?

- it will reduce the octane, i believe 85 is considered 104 oct in jersey, so it might drop the octane down a bit, cause some knock since your timing will be set for 104 oct, just use your judgement but we wont be draining the tank every time you switch or will you? and mostly im assuming you would go from 85 to 93 if you are traveling, in that case you wont be going crazy on boost will ya ? ;)

Also, after I break my car in, I will want to go E85 as stated above, but I dont know exactly what supporting mods Ill need to add.

- 850cc are deff too small, im running fic 900 which are considered 1000 and they are at 80% ijdc on 93, and you seen the power im making, they recommend 1100 fic but for your case i would ask sean since you are built and will run much higher boost, if they had 1680 still would be perfect but there really isnt nothing in between.

5.) I know with E85 i will be to the limits of the stock fuel pump. At this point would a drop in DW300 fuel pump give me enough fueling? Would I be OK without a FPR and is there an upgraded filter option, to keep from overflowing through the stock filter? I know a lot of people say it cant handle much more flow, so you either need to drill it out, or put in another filter?

- i have already changed mine, he will recommend that you go with a double pump from BR. i just had a blaq ops e85 kit with walbro 255 installed and we'll see how that performs.
6.) if I want sean Ivey to tune me for 93 and E85 in the same day, how can I do this? last time I was there I dont think he had gas pumps, would I need to bring a few gallons of E85 with me, and can we tune a 93 and e85 map back to back?

- last i checked he had e85 on premises.

7.) what kind of power could i expect to see with a 93 pump retune, with upgraded engine internals?
- ask the man. ;)
- up to the tuner ;)
8.) what kind of power will I see going E85, like is there an estimate power increase average over 93?
- usually for ex on a green from 93 to e85 on stock engine anywhere from 50-80 hp.
however you being built can run much higher boost than ppl with stock engine, so lets hope for some more.

just from what i have heard / read on, some might not be so true but anyways, i try to share ;) hopefully it helped abit.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

cobb does save the map that is in the car.

- with cobb it already comes with 10+ maps, for 91 oct, 93 oct, for valet, anti theft and such, you can manage those maps as well as upload many of yours.

- it will reduce the octane, i believe 85 is considered 104 oct in jersey, so it might drop the octane down a bit, cause some knock since your timing will be set for 104 oct, just use your judgement but we wont be draining the tank every time you switch or will you? and mostly im assuming you would go from 85 to 93 if you are traveling, in that case you wont be going crazy on boost will ya ? ;)

- 850cc are deff too small, im running fic 900 which are considered 1000 and they are at 80% ijdc on 93, and you seen the power im making, they recommend 1100 fic but for your case i would ask sean since you are built and will run much higher boost, if they had 1680 still would be perfect but there really isnt nothing in between.

- i have already changed mine, he will recommend that you go with a double pump from BR. i just had a blaq ops e85 kit with walbro 255 installed and we'll see how that performs.

- last i checked he had e85 on premises.

- ask the man. ;)
- up to the tuner ;)
- usually for ex on a green from 93 to e85 on stock engine anywhere from 50-80 hp.
however you being built can run much higher boost than ppl with stock engine, so lets hope for some more.

just from what i have heard / read on, some might not be so true but anyways, i try to share ;) hopefully it helped abit.
Thanks for the quick response. What power are you making cant find a thread you started about it and dont see a sig? or a mod list

The reason i am worried about switching from E85 to 93, is cause there is only 1 E85 station in delaware. Luckily, its only 5 miles away from my house. However, I work 16 miles away from that station and play in other places farther away from that station. My worry, is lets say I was running low on E85, and no E85 station in sight. I would Want to be able to quickly switch back to 93 pump tune, so I can fill up with 93, and not get stranded. I guess I would ask for a relatively safe E85 tune, that way even if octane dropped by 1 or something, it was still reliable enough to run on. I would probably try to run the 93 down as low as possible before filling up with E85, just currious if anyone else is doing this already, and can provide some insight.

kool, i guess the reason I am worried with the AP, was because I already have 850cc injectors, and I wouldnt want to have it try to base tune me, cause injector scaling would be off and BOOM. No bueno.

· Registered
204 Posts
yep, or you can easily install the cobb when you get the e85 done ;). and yes if you think you will be mixing the e85 with 93 a safer tune would be great, im making 416 to the wheels on fp green you posted on the other forum about it, and if you pm BR they quoted me 470 for a DP with a good core ;) special sale, and have ivey install it or if you do your own work.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, or you can easily install the cobb when you get the e85 done ;). and yes if you think you will be mixing the e85 with 93 a safer tune would be great, im making 416 to the wheels on fp green you posted on the other forum about it, and if you pm BR they quoted me 470 for a DP with a good core ;) special sale, and have ivey install it or if you do your own work.
Oh yea lol. I guess I am dislexic when it comes to names. It all makes sense now :) Yea, I will look into that, I want to get fueling right, I heard the DW300 is pretty boss as a drop in and can flow a lot, i just dont know if it can flow enough for an FP Green on E85, if not I guess the DP is my next bet.

· Registered
556 Posts
I'm on AP and there are a few problems for AP if you go for big power.They dont have the ability yet to run a 3 bar map sensor and if i remember right there is a problem with the load scaling over 330 load. you can get around the issue with the load but its not the best way of doing things. You cant log boost over 32 psi. We have asked for updates for 2 years and they just dont seem to care about getting the minor details worked out. In my oppinion if you want 500 whp or above use opensource

edit: I see your on a green and you may be under the power levels this stuff shows up.

· Registered
11,129 Posts
I'm on AP and there are a few problems for AP if you go for big power.They dont have the ability yet to run a 3 bar map sensor and if i remember right there is a problem with the load scaling over 330 load. you can get around the issue with the load but its not the best way of doing things. You cant log boost over 32 psi. We have asked for updates for 2 years and they just dont seem to care about getting the minor details worked out. In my oppinion if you want 500 whp or above use opensource

edit: I see your on a green and you may be under the power levels this stuff shows up.
Agreed, go opensource.

Honestly I thought with Tephra moving to Cobb or helping them that they would really advance but doesn't seem like they did.

A green on E85 will toy with the problem area but you should be alright.

I would still ditch it and go Opensource/tephramods though.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed, go opensource.

Honestly I thought with Tephra moving to Cobb or helping them that they would really advance but doesn't seem like they did.

A green on E85 will toy with the problem area but you should be alright.

I would still ditch it and go Opensource/tephramods though.
My only concern with going open source, is that I want to be able to switch maps on the fly. By going COBB AP, I can keep it in my glove box, and I never need to worry about not having my laptop on me as if I am running low on E85 with no station in sight, I can easily and always go back to a 93 tune. I can also log on the fly without a laptop, which I see being a huge +.

I would like to see 440-460WHP on 93 and maybe 510-530 on E85 on my setup, I think that would be perfect for my DD.

· Registered
11,129 Posts
I can switch maps by pressing my cruise control button and can log onto an sd card with tactrix all of which being way smaller and more convenient than the cobb.

Not to mention cheaper :)

· Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Going from E85 to 93 is not as much of a concern as the other way round is. I usually carry a spare 2 Gallon plastic can of the other fuel so that I can just swap when it gets really low and starts stuttering the least bit.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was reading about the tephra mod, I would just be worried about maybe starting the car up in the wrong mode, and maybe not knowing which tune is currently engaged? also, having that third tune, the gas milage tune for when/if gas prices hit 13 dollars a gallon might be nice too.

I wonder if say you have a gallon of 93 left in your tank and you fill up with E85, will it mix like a drop of milk into a cup of water, or would it be more like soda and water, where the water floats on top of the soda after sitting for a while?

Be interesting to know this.

· Premium Member
11,810 Posts
I was reading about the tephra mod, I would just be worried about maybe starting the car up in the wrong mode, and maybe not knowing which tune is currently engaged? also, having that third tune, the gas milage tune for when/if gas prices hit 13 dollars a gallon might be nice too.

I wonder if say you have a gallon of 93 left in your tank and you fill up with E85, will it mix like a drop of milk into a cup of water, or would it be more like soda and water, where the water floats on top of the soda after sitting for a while?

Be interesting to know this.
Dude, when that happens, no amount of tuning will help you.

As for the fuels, the blend completely, like milk and water. no floating.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, when that happens, no amount of tuning will help you.

As for the fuels, the blend completely, like milk and water. no floating.
LOL, but but when like ah the world is collapsing, and its just me my evo X and my sword, I may be able to get an extra 30 miles with a gas milage tune, and battle in grayscull because I HAVE THE POWER!(or i mean fuel savings :D)

· Registered
11,129 Posts
There is a giant blinking light that says what tune you are running (a la the intercooler sprayer).

Tephra has 9 alt maps working too I believe, or is close, which will use your tach to show the tune you are on.

Honestly, there is no real reason to run Cobb except it is nice to have Cobb support. I would only ever use Cobb if I lived near them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.