Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first problem with my car after 2.5 years. It won't start. Engine turns, just won't fire up.

1) Fuel pressure is fine. Gauge shows pressure, and I can hear both the surge tank pump and in-tank pump working.

2) I thought maybe the battery was bad, so I jumper cabled the battery to my other car. Still won't start

3) I pulled a spark plug, looks fine, and I turned the engine and there is visible spark.

4) No CELs

5) Car was running totally fine before this. Last ran on Thursday. Sat in the garage on Friday.

Why won't the car start? Any other ideas to pursue? This is 4 hours before I leave for my first trip to Tahoe.... grrrr

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Imobiliser maybe?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
you got time to post a video?

·
Registered
277 Posts
ugh sorry bro having the same problem with my SS right now ended up being a loose wire on the terminal which runs the pass lock system. I would check more into the Imobiliser like spikester stated. good luck

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imobiliser maybe?
ugh sorry bro having the same problem with my SS right now ended up being a loose wire on the terminal which runs the pass lock system. I would check more into the Imobiliser like spikester stated. good luck
The Immobilizer will allow the engine to turn and just not fire? How can I look into this?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, not the battery in the FAST key. Car still won't start. Any other thoughts?

Can the battery be bad? I've jumped the car, and it still wont start, though

·
Registered
277 Posts
same thing for me, tried jumping battery with no luck. Do you have another key you can try? check any loose wires going to starter

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried both keys, and the actual key out of the fast fob itself. where's the starter?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
i think if the car is firing then its possibly not the imobiliser. Have you tried swapping your fuel relay with your horn relay?

Also, have you pulled and checked that all the spark plugs are firing in each coil pack?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I tested the spark plug, I took it out of the engine and touched the plug to the valve cover while my kid turned the key. I would see a spark, but it was an intermittent spark, not a constant rapid one. Is this normal with turning the engine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
i cant view the video here in afghanistan. but my car had done this before where everything checked out good. If you feel under your intake manifold there is a ground to your starter that gets loose at times if you fondle with it (try pushing it in even though its connected) it will start the car.

This has happened to me multiple times. It has always been that ground for the starter.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i cant view the video here in afghanistan. but my car had done this before where everything checked out good. If you feel under your intake manifold there is a ground to your starter that gets loose at times if you fondle with it (try pushing it in even though its connected) it will start the car.

This has happened to me multiple times. It has always been that ground for the starter.

hope this helps.
I can't seem to find it, but I'll keep looking. I'm out of time at this point, so I can't try anything else until I get back on Monday. I hope it's something simple...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't seem to find it, but I'll keep looking. I'm out of time at this point, so I can't try anything else until I get back on Monday. I hope it's something simple...
take off the engine cover put your hand right under the 3-4 runner (from the left) and feel up should be a black wire there.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
When I tested the spark plug, I took it out of the engine and touched the plug to the valve cover while my kid turned the key. I would see a spark, but it was an intermittent spark, not a constant rapid one. Is this normal with turning the engine?
no it shouldnt be like that. It could be a dodgy coil pack, try the rest of the plugs too then get back to us on monday.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine wouldn't start once before. Checked for fuel, spark, fuel relay and power which all check out good. Turned out to be the MAF sensor either dirty or going bad. I swapped it with another Evo X and car fired up right away. Put the old one back in and it started up again too. Replaced the MAF sensor anyway since I didn't want to take any chances. Haven't had problem since.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts