Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a noob when it comes to tunes & datalogging. I did a few pulls last Saturday and logged them and I'm trying to figure out if there are any issues with the car and if the current tune is good for DD. Anything else that may be helpful based on the info provided would be appreciated. Suggestions for what the next steps with the car should be and in particular tuning advice. Looking at the pulls in virtual dyno there's a lot of variation between the logs. Maybe it's my driving, maybe it's the tune, maybe I'm not doing something right with how I'm logging or something wrong with my settings in virtual dyno. Some of the runs wouldn't load in virtual dyno and I got a message saying

I've attached the logs, the dyno sheet & the MAP

I bought this X last weekend from Delkat. I had it inspected by Mike @ FFTEC prior to purchase and he gave it the thumbs up. It drove great and I put a couple hundred miles on it last weekend before putting it in storage for the next few weeks until I move out to Cali. I plan to take it back to FFTEC for tuning as needed.

MODS:
2.0L Built Motor from GST Motorsports
Kelford 214B Cams and Springs
JE Coated Pistons with Seal Pro Rings
Crower Rods
Race Bearings
CBRD BBX Turbo and WGA
APS Billet Adjustable BOV
FIC 1100 Injectors
BlaqOps Double Pumper fuel system
Boomba Fuel Rail
AEM Cold Air Intake with Custom Stealth Cover
AMS Intercooler
Road Race Engineering Stealth Black UICP & LICP
AMS Widemouth Downpipe
Taipan T1-R 76S Exhaust System
UR Mini Muffler Cat Delete
GST 3-Port Boost Controller
ACT Street HD Clutch
New Accessory Drive Belt with re-build
Zeitronix ZT2 Wideband and ZR2 Multigauge

Attachments

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You need to clean up your logs...and then maybe consistently start your pulls at the same RPM...2k perhaps.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Virtual dyno reads from WOT (80% throttle) only, your in and out of the WOT so it looks like a slinky. Usually do third gear and go from 2000-7000. Try and stop and start the logging relative to the run.

You have an insane power so third gear wot pulls might be breaking multiple laws on the street. Did Bryan tune it? Why take it to FFTEC if GST did the work?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea some of the pulls that I did wouldn't even load in virtual dyno. My bro in law was pressing the start/stop and It seems like he wasn't in sync with my driving. I thought I was putting my foot to the floor each time he was logging so not sure what's going on with it not reading WOT. I was shifting into 4th somewhere before 8k each pull and then letting off in 4th.

Let's say that these pulls were done on a private road.

Yes Brian did the tune and the motor was built by GST. From what I've heard Brian isn't doing much tuning anymore and is hard to get in touch with. I've also heard great things about FFTEC and it was easy to get in touch with them and setup the appointment for the inspection so I figured I'd keep dealing with them.

5,198 Posts
Yes Brian did the tune and the motor was built by GST. From what I've heard Brian isn't doing much tuning anymore and is hard to get in touch with. I've also heard great things about FFTEC and it was easy to get in touch with them and setup the appointment for the inspection so I figured I'd keep dealing with them.
At what point did you actually try to get in touch with me?

Feel free to send me the logs. I need to know if the logs are running the 91 octane or E85 tune.

By the look of that plotted boost plot it's on the E85 tune. I hope you have E85 in there. ;)

E85 is the main map, 91 octane is the Alt map.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At what point did you actually try to get in touch with me?

Feel free to send me the logs. I need to know if it is currently running the 91 or E85 tune.
I hadn't attempted to get in touch with you prior to the PM I sent tonight. Apparently wherever I caught those rumors and got the impression you were no longer tuning was wrong.

I was running the car on E85. I posted the logs as a zip file in my OP if you're unable to open them lmk and I will email them to you.

And just to clarify I started this thread to try and learn more about my car and the settings on it as well as trying to find out if I'm logging and using vitual dyno correctly etc. My assumption was that any error/issue was most likely because of my lack of knowledge and not because of the quality of your work which was never being questioned.

5,198 Posts
I hadn't attempted to get in touch with you prior to the PM I sent tonight. Apparently wherever I caught those rumors and got the impression you were no longer tuning was wrong.
I have no PM, please send again. Some of those 'rumors' aren't totally untrue.

I was running the car on E85. I posted the logs as a zip file in my OP if you're unable to open them lmk and I will email them to you.
I see no attachments in your OP?

And just to clarify I started this thread to try and learn more about my car and the settings on it as well as trying to find out if I'm logging and using vitual dyno correctly etc. My assumption was that any error/issue was most likely because of my lack of knowledge and not because of the quality of your work which was never being questioned.
I totally understand.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have no PM, please send again. Some of those 'rumors' aren't totally untrue.

I see no attachments in your OP?

I totally understand.

Ok well I hope that you're willing to continue work on this car with me. Are you changing to different platforms, no longer working with GST, just lost interest in tuning?

That sucks, I thought I had attached all the logs, the dyno sheet and the map when I made the OP and I wrote you a fairly detailed PM asking about how the car is setup and what "weak" areas the car may have and what the next steps are to make the car ideal for DD and weekend battles. Mostly track/auto-x and a little drag duty. Also about having different maps for DD & weekend for each fuel if needed and about changing the 91 tune because I don't plan on switching between the hfc and the mini muffler test pipe each time I need to switch fuels.

I've added the files to the OP.

5,198 Posts
Ok well I hope that you're willing to continue work on this car with me. Are you changing to different platforms, no longer working with GST, just lost interest in tuning?

That sucks, I thought I had attached all the logs, the dyno sheet and the map when I made the OP and I wrote you a fairly detailed PM asking about how the car is setup and what "weak" areas the car may have and what the next steps are to make the car ideal for DD and weekend battles. Mostly track/auto-x and a little drag duty. Also about having different maps for DD & weekend for each fuel if needed and about changing the 91 tune because I don't plan on switching between the hfc and the mini muffler test pipe each time I need to switch fuels.

I've added the files to the OP.
I have no PM from you. Please PM again.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm... few days later no response to the PM he asked me to send him yet I see him posting in other threads etc.

I think the "rumors" are true and I'll just be going to FFTEC. I'll likely leave the Bryan's street tune E85 map as is and just lower the boost on my 91 map and make it a bit more conservative which will make it great for track days, road trips, getting decent gas mileage, etc. Keep the E85 tune as beast mode

5,198 Posts
hmmm... few days later no response to the PM he asked me to send him yet I see him posting in other threads etc.

I think the "rumors" are true and I'll just be going to FFTEC. I'll likely leave the Bryan's street tune E85 map as is and just lower the boost on my 91 map and make it a bit more conservative which will make it great for track days, road trips, getting decent gas mileage, etc. Keep the E85 tune as beast mode
The rumors that I am busy are true? Yes, they are. Keep in mind it is also the holidays. If you feel like you can be better served with another vendor, that is your choice, and it just gives me a little bit more "free" time. So it could be a win win.

FYI both tunes where complete custom dyno tunes. The 91 map is already conservative.

Your PM is in the Queue. You purchased a car from another owner who I had a tuning relationship with.I did take a quick look at your logs and you need to log less items to get proper logs to really see how the car is running. From the low resolution logs it looks like things are working correctly still.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hopefully for the benefit of all SST owners (proud owner, right here), Mr. Medway is locked away in one of those "Think Tanks" with his new found TCU :D

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Don't go anywhere else, Bryan knows his shit and you're in good hands. It's not easy to find a tuner you can really trust. Some of them work very hard to make them seem trustworthy, but when you look behind the scenes you notice they're in it for the dollars, and take shortcuts at your expense.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I totally understand that you are busy, and that it is the holidays, Sorry for my impatience I was originally planning not to say anything or expect a response until perhaps after new years but then seeing you posting just kinda made me go wtf? A big part of why I started the thread was because I knew about how busy you are and that the relationship was with the previous owner and not me. I believe in one of my posts or perhaps in my pm I asked about if you're willing to continue that relationship. Long story short my bad for the impatience, I'm happy to work with you/GST going forward or to find another vendor if you're too busy.

I appreciate you looking at the logs and I will definitely do a better job of logging next time so that the pulls are more consistant and that I only
log a few of the key paramaters. How many would you say is a good amount and which ones are most important?
Obviously afr, boost, timing, coolant temp, oil press, knock, throttle, injector duty cycle, any others?

It's good to have even more reassurance that the car is running well and that I'm not at a high risk of breaking things.

The rumors that I am busy are true? Yes, they are. Keep in mind it is also the holidays. If you feel like you can be better served with another vendor, that is your choice, and it just gives me a little bit more "free" time. So it could be a win win.

FYI both tunes where complete custom dyno tunes. The 91 map is already conservative.

Your PM is in the Queue. You purchased a car from another owner who I had a tuning relationship with.I did take a quick look at your logs and you need to log less items to get proper logs to really see how the car is running. From the low resolution logs it looks like things are working correctly still.

·
Registered
653 Posts
BUMP for updates!

Rich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts