Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like it says, put a grimmspeed manual boost controler on the wastegate and the boost source coming off the pipe in the very very back. took the t out and put cut the boost source hose and put the t in to like normal. everything was fine. didn't even raise boost since i have no boost gauge. then i put a cone filter in stock intake. drove it for like 50 or 60 miles and then the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. Why did it do that? and how to i get it gone? if i reset the ecu i know it will help for a minute but then will it go on again? how do i get rid of this damn thing?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Your MBC needs to be dialed in hence "manual boost control". Until you or someone else can tune your car keep the stock boost solenoid hooked up. Who knows what it is set at now since you yourself said you don't have a boost gauge.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's set at 0 since I don't have a gauge. And I would rather put it in and leave it at stock so when my gauges Cinema there is one less thing to.do.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
OP, you need a gauge before you install a MBC. You have no indication as to what you are getting from your turbo. Just revert back until you atleast get a gauge

Mbc=fail.
Not so much... MBC's are highly reliable, nice and consistent, and preferred by a lot of tuners for these reasons.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Your MBC needs to be dialed in hence "manual boost control". Until you or someone else can tune your car keep the stock boost solenoid hooked up. Who knows what it is set at now since you yourself said you don't have a boost gauge.
It's set at 0 since I don't have a gauge. And I would rather put it in and leave it at stock so when my gauges Cinema there is one less thing to.do.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using AutoGuide.com App
like the first qoute says it needs to be tuned with it or remove it until you can tune with it OR option 3 live with the cel on becuase your too lazy to do a 3 minute job and put the stock one in until you can be tuned for the mbc also the mbc = fail! go 3 port and never have to worry about your boost system screwing the pooch

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
OP, you need a gauge before you install a MBC. You have no indication as to what you are getting from your turbo. Just revert back until you atleast get a gauge

Not so much... MBC's are highly reliable, nice and consistent, and preferred by a lot of tuners for these reasons.
alot of tuners who dont want to learn how to tune 3-ports which are better in every way and far more superior than any mbc could ever be i like knowing that if i have any sort of failure my 3-port will save my engine as well as wether im at sea level or in the rocky mountains my tune will always be spot on.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Yes they are are so much more superior... just like how they can randomly work too. I have had issues on more than one occasion where a 3 port has inconsistently given certain results.

I used to be on the 3 port bandwagon myself, but after I ran into these issues while tuning (even on my own car), I quickly went back to what is a proven performer.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
alot of tuners who dont want to learn how to tune 3-ports which are better in every way and far more superior than any mbc could ever be i like knowing that if i have any sort of failure my 3-port will save my engine as well as wether im at sea level or in the rocky mountains my tune will always be spot on.
So essentially you're saying that ETS is lazy and puts on a failed product? They used a MBC on a stock tune, and they also use 3-ports.
Remember when they used a MBC on a stock tune and installed every bolt on? It was to show how much power each mod made.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Yes they are are so much more superior... just like how they can randomly work too. I have had issues on more than one occasion where a 3 port has inconsistently given certain results.

I used to be on the 3 port bandwagon myself, but after I ran into these issues while tuning (even on my own car), I quickly went back to what is a proven performer.
I made 30whp more through a 500rpm range on the same boost, afr, and less mods than my buddy on an mbc. Cant go wrong with a GS 3–port. ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I made 30whp more through a 500rpm range on the same boost, afr, and less mods than my buddy on an mbc. Cant go wrong with a GS 3–port. ;)

how is that possible? what does a 3 port do differntly the a mbc other than kill the boost in a bad situation.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
how is that possible? what does a 3 port do differntly the a mbc other than kill the boost in a bad situation.
Its more responsive because the ECU is is controlling it.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Put his MBC on your car on the dyno and see the difference... too many factors

Boost can still be cut on a MBC...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Put his MBC on your car on the dyno and see the difference... too many factors
Both cars were road tuned on the same road.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Both cars were road tuned on the same road.
He's right, one mod over another and EBC vs. MBC means it's too many factors and would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Both work. Both requiring tuning.

EBCS can be more responsive as you can map the dutycycle on it, and EBCS can be more versatile, depending on other mods. Since the Evo (and subies for that matter) have EBC from the ECU, there's no reason not to stick with it.

FWIW I have a GS 3port sitting in it's box waiting for when I get tuned with it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
easy if you understand the difference heres a for instance, on a car say you can run 20 lbs of boost with out knocking at say 7k so with you mbc you dial it in for 20 lbs no knock alls good. now i throw your mbc in the garbage where it belongs and install a 3port heres why your mbc is locked at 20lbs but i found i can run 30 lbs up to 5k and then tapers off to said 20 lbs at redline no knock why can i do this? because the 3 port will let me set the boost at whatever i want at any given rpm and now your car makes more power under the curve due to the fact its running more boost along the same power band safely and tapering back to prevent knock. now lets say for whatever reason your boost reference source is lost wot and your boost sky rockets the ecu controlled 3 port now dumps the boost and saves you a giant engine bill instead of your mbc saying hell ya rock on and you scatter your bottom end. also nearly every mbc spikes past set boost level then settles back on your target boost where a 3 port can dial all that out and control boost far better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.