Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running E85 for over 8 months now, I just have a question for those running it.
First of all car is hard to start. Takes about 3 tries after it has been sitting overnight. If engine is warm it starts on the first try.

Second, after I start the car I must wait for about 2-3 min before I can even move. If I try to go, the car will shake and wants to stall.

After it warms up it runs great.

Does everyone else have this issue on E85, or am I one off the few?

· Registered
2,061 Posts
Been running E85 for over 8 months now, I just have a question for those running it.
First of all car is hard to start. Takes about 3 tries after it has been sitting overnight. If engine is warm it starts on the first try.

Second, after I start the car I must wait for about 2-3 min before I can even move. If I try to go, the car will shake and wants to stall.

After it warms up it runs great.

Does everyone else have this issue on E85, or am I one off the few?
I haven't gone E85 yet but I have a coworker that has been on E85 in his VIII for years. He has the same startup issues (in winter) but I can't say for the shakes pre-warmup. You might be having issues with Winter E70 blend in combination with your tune and the cold temperatures, and I'm betting it's common, but I'll let others with personal experience speak up.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
My first evo x was on e85 and I had these issues. My current evo x is on e85 and has the same issues.

Usually on cold starts I will crank it once and then second crank it will fire right up. You have to let it run for a few minutes other wise it will drive like crap. Once it's warmed up you're good to go. The price we pay for high boost!

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K thanks.
So, what I experience is normal.
I wonder why that is.
I don't think that cars that come out of factory as Flex Fuel experience this.

· Registered
6,209 Posts
Your cranking and start up maps are not adjusted properly for cold starting on E85. Once these are adjusted the issues with E85 are minimal. Who ever tuned the car needs to readjust the maps properly.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Having difficulties starting the car with e85 is the only thing stopping me from going the e85 route.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can this be done througth AP, or does it have to be another tunning tool?

Definitelly don't want to destroy my starter :mad:

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5,221 Posts
To fix the cold start issues, fine tune the Cranking IPW Enrichment Adder table

To massage the cold running stumbles, fine tune the Ignition warmup retard table(s)

There are also a couple extra IPW tables that most people do not have and COBB does not have.

But most setups do not need them.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.