Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend drives my evo x and accidentally rev it to 8k rpm. And the rev limit on tune is 7400rpm Did he break something in the internals? My car still drives okay. But wanna make sure & have some opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The question is how did he rev it? Did he put it in a wrong gear or did he just floored it in neutral?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The question is how did he rev it? Did he put it in a wrong gear or did he just floored it in neutral?
This, bouncing off the limiter is way less damaging than over-revving (grabbing wrong gear). You would likely know fairly quickly soon after if the engine isnt knocking you would probably be fine.

You could check the spark plugs for peace of mind as there have been reports of bouncing off the limiter causing the ceramic insulators to crack.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There’s honestly not much you can do at this point. If any internal damage has been done it’s irreversible at this point but in my opinion your motor should be okay. One over-rev (depending on the severity) won’t kill the motor, just not the best thing for the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts