Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh and most importantly, if you do end up buying the headlights from the dealer, just go home and install em yourself along with the jRox DRL disable harness (you will need this).

Good luck!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd say the dealer will charge about $2500 for the OEM HID's plus labor to install them. Even then you will have the flicker issue as JRox's harness only works with aftermarket HID's and the dealer cannot switch your car from non-SSS to SSS. There is a command in the ECU to do this but it is locked from the factory and the dealer cannot change it, believe me I tried to have them do it. Your best bet is to go aftermarket or purchase a set of used OEM HID's from the for sale section and either drive with your lights on all the time or do the DRL disable.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'd say the dealer will charge about $2500 for the OEM HID's plus labor to install them. Even then you will have the flicker issue as JRox's harness only works with aftermarket HID's and the dealer cannot switch your car from non-SSS to SSS. There is a command in the ECU to do this but it is locked from the factory and the dealer cannot change it, believe me I tried to have them do it. Your best bet is to go aftermarket or purchase a set of used OEM HID's from the for sale section and either drive with your lights on all the time or do the DRL disable.
This is not true. Hell you could throw it on an OEM SSS car and it will disable the DRLs. The harness is only $60, if you're willing to pay to play to have HIDs you might as well grab that bad boy and not force yourself to drive around with your headlights on all day.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you really wanna go "all out" buy a set of used halogen (non-SSS) headlights and send em off to one of the many custom light shops. That's what I did through Lightwerkz.

...and last time I checked (over a year ago) the SSS headlights were about $1300 from the dealer.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This is not true. Hell you could throw it on an OEM SSS car and it will disable the DRLs. The harness is only $60, if you're willing to pay to play to have HIDs you might as well grab that bad boy and not force yourself to drive around with your headlights on all day.
Jrox's harness does not work on OEM HID's only aftermarket kits. Ask him.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Jrox's harness does not work on OEM HID's only aftermarket kits. Ask him.
From his thread: "*This DRL Bypass w/ Relay Harness is also 100% compatible with Stock OEM Lights. This means Aftermarket HID's are NOT required to utilize this DRL Bypass."

Either way, whatever you do OP, please please do not get an aftermarket reflector kit.

EDIT: Haha just realiezed I have a spare set of halogen headlights sitting in my garage from when I had my retrofit done. If you wanna go the custom retrofit route and need a pair of halogens lemme know!!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I wish you were right my friend because $60 is a drop in the bucket after you've purchased the OEM HID's and alot less of a hassle than doing the DRL disable.
Wait, no seriously... I sent my stock halogens to Lightwerkz and they threw in TSX projectors and BMW shrouds. I think the retrofit cost came out to be about $1300 shipped to me in Hawaii... but then there's the price I bought the stock halogens for, but I'll recoup once I sell em.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wait, no seriously... I sent my stock halogens to Lightwerkz and they threw in TSX projectors and BMW shrouds. I think the retrofit cost came out to be about $1300 shipped to me in Hawaii... but then there's the price I bought the stock halogens for, but I'll recoup once I sell em.
+1 on Lightwerkz and Caeser is a great guy. Your price is spot on and I was going to go with them but I ended up buying a used set of OEM HID's off of a member for like $700 so I'm dealing with the flicker until I get around to doing the DRL disable.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts