Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked my car up from the shop and my guy mentioned that when he took the car for a quick test run it wasn't responding properly in high RPM's. I took it for a spin and put the pedal down in 4 gear and at about 4K RPM's the car sounded like it was blowing through the exhaust and the ASC turned off along with the service engine soon light came on. My guy believes that it is probably the Throttle Position Sensor because the voltage from my AP shows the numbers being only 87% max. Any Idea's? I do have a couple mod's with an off the shelf map from cobb. Everything seems great but as soon as I hit that high RPM point everything goes wrong.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You, overboosted and threw the DTC/ASC codes. So you must be over 29+ psi. Get your tune checked out...

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I'm pretty sure 87% is the most you'll see on the throttle position sensor. I'm having an overboost issue and I see the same symptoms. I was tuned on a hot summer day and the cooler weather is messing things up.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge? What is it reading?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm pretty sure 87% is the most you'll see on the throttle position sensor. I'm having an overboost issue and I see the same symptoms. I was tuned on a hot summer day and the cooler weather is messing things up.
I guess my constant 97% is an anomaly?!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You cannot be tuned to the edge of death and expect 40-70* delta to behave properly...

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I'm still learning this stuff, but before the latest Cobb software, I was seeing 87% throttle max. After the latest beta software, it appears to read higher. Maybe they weren't displaying it properly. I don't know what method the OP is using to read throttle either.

I understand why the temperature changing is giving me issues. I've been trying to get things ironed out, but it's not there yet. I was just offering that I am seeing similar symptoms.

I guess my constant 97% is an anomaly?!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm still learning this stuff, but before the latest Cobb software, I was seeing 87% throttle max. After the latest beta software, it appears to read higher. Maybe they weren't displaying it properly. I don't know what method the OP is using to read throttle either.

I understand why the temperature changing is giving me issues. I've been trying to get things ironed out, but it's not there yet. I was just offering that I am seeing similar symptoms.
My bad, I forgot their max TPS is lower.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wait ( don't mean to sound dumb ) so was the issue the need for a retune due to over boost or the TPS?

I'm experiencing the same exact issues.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,070 Posts
what are you boosting to?

·
Registered
331 Posts
28 tapering down to 24-25

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Its 87* not 87% just FYI

·
Registered
331 Posts
My mechanic said its my TPS is not getting enough voltage possible the TPS or the tune he doesn't know I was just wondering so I don't waste money. I guess I will just go to my tuner.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Get a real tune with a dyno. base maps are not optimum for your specific engine and mods. can't just upload and drive it like you stole it, you're bound to blow it up. lucky you have an evo and its more resistant to bad tunes or under tunes. If it was an sti, you'd either have melted or cracked pistons, blown ringlands, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get a real tune with a dyno. base maps are not optimum for your specific engine and mods. can't just upload and drive it like you stole it, you're bound to blow it up. lucky you have an evo and its more resistant to bad tunes or under tunes. If it was an sti, you'd either have melted or cracked pistons, blown ringlands, etc.
+1 Pro tune from a reputable tuner is definately to best route for long term reliable performance. I would take it easy until then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts