Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I was on my way to work and got stuck behind 3 cars and bike. No problem, got boost. On a straight and with a clear road ahead I hit the pedal to pass. Felt pretty quick so I glanced at my V3 Accessport and saw that I hit 33 psi of boost at 98% throttle. It was about a 35 mph punch.
Problem is, my tune is supposed to be at 28 psi. Can this damage the turbo or worse, the engine?
Things to note: I was custom tuned by COBB with a 400s kit, FP Green, yada yada yada. My tune was done on a hot day. Cooler weather now = higher boost right? I'll admit I got ahead of myself and did the big upgrades before I learned what I was actually doing and Im still in the learning process. Please be constructive if Im dumb.

·
Registered
928 Posts
So this morning I was on my way to work and got stuck behind 3 cars and bike. No problem, got boost. On a straight and with a clear road ahead I hit the pedal to pass. Felt pretty quick so I glanced at my V3 Accessport and saw that I hit 33 psi of boost at 98% throttle. It was about a 35 mph punch.
Problem is, my tune is supposed to be at 28 psi. Can this damage the turbo or worse, the engine?
Things to note: I was custom tuned by COBB with a 400s kit, FP Green, yada yada yada. My tune was done on a hot day. Cooler weather now = higher boost right? I'll admit I got ahead of myself and did the big upgrades before I learned what I was actually doing and Im still in the learning process. Please be constructive if Im dumb.
Over boosting is a definite problem. I would be on the phone with Cobb. I was there the other day setting up an appointment for a dyno tune. What parts do you live?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its only in the 50-60 degree temp here. I called last year when it went to 29 psi and they said no big deal. Today was the first time in a while I really smashed on the gas and couldnt believe what I saw. I bug them a lot and wanted to see other peoples opinion before I called again. Parts list better explained through my dyno video.
http://youtu.be/f_5WMhUq8R0

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well its only in the 50-60 degree temp here. I called last year when it went to 29 psi and they said no big deal. Today was the first time in a while I really smashed on the gas and couldnt believe what I saw. I bug them a lot and wanted to see other peoples opinion before I called again. Parts list better explained through my dyno video.
Nice video

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
Stock internals, yes. No question about it.. The phenomenon called premature failure.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sounds to me that you have spent mucho $$$ there. So why would you worry about bothering them? You are their customer.

·
Registered
13,446 Posts
Today is freaking 28 degress with windchill of negative.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock internals, yes. No question about it.. The phenomenon called premature failure.
Ehhh, please explain further. :eek2:

Sounds to me that you have spent mucho $$$ there. So why would you worry about bothering them? You are their customer.
That I have, lol! I def called them a lot when I was still in Texas. I moved out of country and its been over 2 years now. I'll still call them but was looking for multiple opinions for comparison.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Pretty sure the Cobb maps have a 30psi limp mode limit on the MRs. It's where the clutches let go.

We had issues with this when tuning my car. But they may have lifted it in the latest firmware?

So my point is, It's doubtful you even went over 30psi. Don't you have a regular boost gauge?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure the Cobb maps have a 30psi limp mode limit on the MRs. It's where the clutches let go.

We had issues with this when tuning my car. But they may have lifted it in the latest firmware?

So my point is, It's doubtful you even went over 30psi. Don't you have a regular boost gauge?
Im custom tuned (i.e. pro tuned I think is the term). No OTS maps for me. No regular gauges at all. I know, I know, I need a wideband at least but I figured the AP was good for at least boost. No?
I believe I was the second MR Cobb tuned with that package and the first 2011 MR they upgraded/tuned. They said there were minor but noticeable differences for the tune.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would this be an easy fix with a manual boost controller and just turning it down or is it beyond that? Right now I just have a 3 port EBCS, not adjustable.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Im custom tuned (i.e. pro tuned I think is the term). No OTS maps for me. No regular gauges at all. I know, I know, I need a wideband at least but I figured the AP was good for at least boost. No?
I believe I was the second MR Cobb tuned with that package and the first 2011 MR they upgraded/tuned. They said there were minor but noticeable differences for the tune.
WHY WOULD ANYONE TUNE WITHOUT INSTALLING GAUGES?!?

RrRrrAaaawrrgggarrrbbbblll¥]£]^.'e

I installed gauges before exhaust (though, afr's o2 sensor wasn't connected until downpipe install).

Beware the timebomb you drive to work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHY WOULD ANYONE TUNE WITHOUT INSTALLING GAUGES?!?

RrRrrAaaawrrgggarrrbbbblll¥]£]^.'e

I installed gauges before exhaust (though, afr's o2 sensor wasn't connected until downpipe install).

Beware the timebomb you drive to work.

Call me stupid but I trusted Cobb when they said gauges are nice but werent 100% necessary at the time. Two years later and I dont "need" gauges to tell me Im over boosting. I am cautious and concerned that I dont light up like a space shuttle but there isnt anything I could about anything currently located where I am. No dyno's, no tuners, nothing.
You installed gauges before an exhaust? Please tell me more about your extensive modifications.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Call me stupid but I trusted Cobb when they said gauges are nice but werent 100% necessary at the time. Two years later and I dont "need" gauges to tell me Im over boosting. I am cautious and concerned that I dont light up like a space shuttle but there isnt anything I could about anything currently located where I am. No dyno's, no tuners, nothing.
You installed gauges before an exhaust? Please tell me more about your extensive modifications.
Don't feel bad. I didn't want any gauges either when I first got my car. That's why I got the cobb. I wanted to set it and forget it. Unfortunately the car game doesn't work that way. The less you know whats going on with the car the easier for something stupid/simple to possible go wrong and take you out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Installing gauges before is never a bad idea... Monitoring afr and boost will NEVER hurt you. On the contrary, without monitoring you could be driving a ticking time bomb. I do not have gauges at the moment either but I know once I'm tuned I will 100% have at least boost and AFR.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Installing gauges before is never a bad idea... Monitoring afr and boost will NEVER hurt you. On the contrary, without monitoring you could be driving a ticking time bomb. I do not have gauges at the moment either but I know once I'm tuned I will 100% have at least boost and AFR.

You know, I might be terribly wrong here, but really, I don't use my gauges at all.

When I was etuned through tactrix, I used them somewhat, but again ,everything happens so quick that you can't even glance at them to see what's where.

Now I just look at my CEL flashing when knock is there, but other than that, the gauges are just there...

How do you guys manage to even monitor anything? (Oil temp and pressure probably works, but boost and AFR is just so quickly changing, that it's impossible to register anything in your brain)

*Edit, my bad, actually boost gauge is useful because mine has alarm in case I overboost and that's what I watch out for.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts