Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know if this is the right section if not, please move this topic.

I came home today from work and i discovered this very upsetting sight... what appears to be 2 dents and 3 marks into the alluminum of the hood. i have no idea how i got these, i can only suspect rocks or somthing on the highway. I just got my evo 4 weeks ago and it is brand freakin new. Im sick to my stomach because i realize im going to have to drop a ton of $ on getting this fixed now. are there any options and things i should expect on getting this fixed? anyone.

Attachments

· Registered
1,596 Posts
Aluminum = Hardly repairable. Anyone is welcome to challenge me on that. Very, very, very, minor stuff can be removed. Hood, center mass = not good. Double-walled panel so no underside access. Shop tries to pull it out and they'll be chasing a buckle over the whole hood.

Cheap repair: Aluminum filler, spot refinish (paint)
Correct repair: Replace hood, blend to fenders.

It's up to you. I'm an insurance adjuster and have looked at this stuff 10 times a day for the past 5 years; Also in SoCal where half the cars around here are aluminum. There's cheap ways, and correct ones. Take it to a body shop (that is aluminum CERTIFIED) and see what they have to say. If you need to replace the hood, insurance all day long. Not cheap. Word.

· Registered
538 Posts
Rotten luck man, sorry.

Bets of luck getting that repaired.

· Registered
262 Posts
Its normal on evos I got like 20 rock chips on my hood..I'm thinking about either carbon or getting the stock white hood again. Luckily mine are chips and not dents..easy to paint

Sent from my SGH-T959 using AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1fst was.it a construction zone? I've heard of people contacting department of transportation for pot hole damage..

Sent from my SGH-T959 using AutoGuide.com App
i honestly have no idea, i got in it this morning didn't look at the hood, drove to work, got out and then got done, went to the store and drove home, saw some bugs thought it was ya know, dead bugs, then i saw the dents in the light and sat there telling myself, what in the hell. i mean how could rocks do this, it seems like 1 rock could not do all this damage and i was never behind a truck or construction vehical in which i could see crap flying from behind it. this is still baffling my mind how the paint could just go right to bare minimum.

· Registered
964 Posts
Yea the weird thing about aluminum is you don't really hear shit bounce off of it like steal. I had a z and I thought a box hit my hood and when I got to work my whole hood was destroyed. BTW I got the same stuff on my evo hood in 3000 miles. Sucks.

· Registered
509 Posts
Same happened to mines right after driving it off the lot of the dealership, on the interstate, then home. Although my hood isn't as bad as yours, I just went ahead and used touch-up paint. If you look close, you'll notice it.

After that, I usually avoid driving on the interstate. There's no reason to drive on the interstate if you're just traveling around locally. There's always flying sand and rock debris on the interstate, especially if you're right behind a large pick-up truck. If you're worried about it, clear bra it or buy some automotive vinyl wrapping and wrap your car in it.

· Registered
3,867 Posts
I had at least 20 deep dents in my hood from hail. They came out fine with dent wizard. If the paint is jacked then try some Dr. Colorchip and then cover it with Venture Shield and you will have a hard time seeing it.

Rule #1. Get Venture Shield on the front of your car ASAP. You would have still had the dent but no paint damage. Dent Wizard can fix that. It is not that deep.

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well got my oil changed today and also used my "paintless dent warranty" on a door ding i found... the guy doing it there told me he could get the hood dents out and then when he realized the hood was double shielded, he was like "uh im going to have to drill some holes to get to the hood ding" umm no thanks. i really didn't realize that paintless dent involved just sticking a metal rod between the panels and pushing the metal back out. still debating on whether or not to get everything repainted, i like the factory quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.