Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just hit 20k miles so I'm doing basic maintenance checking plugs and fluid blah blah blah. I also had my friend do a compression test.

Cyl 1: 125
Cyl 2: 125
Cyl 3: 125
Cyl 4: 130

Can anyone tell me if those numbers seem healthy.

Closest thing I found for ref was.

"Standard value (at engine speed of 200 r/min): 1,090 kPa (158 psi)
Limit (at engine speed of 200 r/min): Minimum 650 kPa (95 psi)"

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Numbers look fine.

Question: was the throttle plate wide open during the test (not throttle pedal)?
Can't tell you. My boy did it while I ran out to pick up something.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
as long as they don't vary much from cylinder to cylinder, they're usually fine. and they're not below the lower limit... so I'd call that acceptable, though I've seen other post 140-150ish, but that could have been due to throttle plate not being fully open.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as long as they don't vary much from cylinder to cylinder, they're usually fine. and they're not below the lower limit... so I'd call that acceptable, though I've seen other post 140-150ish, but that could have been due to throttle plate not being fully open.
Thanks. the motor might not have been all the way up to temp either. When I left it was cool so that I could pull the spark plug's with out striping them. Not sure if he let it idle till up to temp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
this is what i got 3900 miles...140..140...148...140..motor was little warm closes plate one plug removed at a time maybe i should have all plugs removed

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
numbers are low, but lots of things could cause that. The numbers all being about the same is what you're looking for, so you're good.

·
Registered
580 Posts
when you have a variance of 25 or more between cylinders is when you have a problem. also, was this done wet or dry is just as important as warm or cold? you probably dont know...

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when you have a variance of 25 or more between cylinders is when you have a problem. also, was this done wet or dry is just as important as warm or cold? you probably dont know...
I don't sorry. an you explain the difference though.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
... one plug removed at a time maybe i should have all plugs removed
It's best to remove all plugs. The engine will crank faster that way and there is less load on the starter and battery.

Ideally the engine should be stinking hot (like after a 10+ mile drive - but sometimes that's not possible) and the throttle plate MUST be wide open (not throttle pedal).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts