Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have an after market clutch in your car? I just drove from Nashville to Florida to get my Evo and noticed in the AM and sometimes on a weirdly uneven surface under load my clutch makes a noise(sounds similar to a bearing?) that has to be coming from somewhere in there. It is a very stiff clutch(hard to hold my foot on it during traffic so I have to keep it in neutral) and when it engages as your letting out the pedal it grabs really quick. There is almost no slip at all, when it engages it really engages. I'm a noobie obviously to this Evo so anything will be helpful. I don't remember the Evo that I test drove having a clutch this serious. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like you have an aftermarket clutch from that description. My stock clutch is pretty soft doesn't grab super quick, and thats also because the clutch pill is still there. Not sure what that noise is you're talking about...does it sound like a chatter?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so much a chatter, more like a whine. Note, the clutch performs well, it doesn't feel as if there is a serious problem just a really annoying noise. It goes away as I drive it more for the day and in the afternoon when I leave work it barely does it at all. Another note is that there are no other modifications to the car... weird huh?

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
Aftermarket clutch is a good thing to have in the car. Consider it a nice little bonus.

It might destroy the Clutch Master Cylinder (they don't like the added pressure). So be aware that eventually you might have to replace that. When you do there are kits from magnus or AMS that replace it with the Evo IX CMC which is made out of metal and withstands aftermarket clutches without any problems.

As far as the noise, take it to the dealership or somewhere and ask them if they think it's an issue or now. Also see if you can't figure out the previous owner to see if he can't tell you what clutch is in there. You might also be able to look through the inspection port on the underside of the transmission and see what the clutch looks like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks! Also, the noise it makes seems to completely change when it's wet. It sounds worse and you can actually feel it much more... Getting a bit nervous. The Stealership in Nashville is a joke, I refuse to take my car to them. I need to find a solid shop to take it to around here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts