Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
24,197 Posts
Q: I'd like to join the forum staff and/or help out the community in some way. How do I apply?

A: Read on...

What I'm looking for in a moderator:

-Has genuine interest and a good knowledge of the particular forum he or she moderates.

-Must be a frequent visitor and poster on these forums.

-Actively tries to recruit new members.

-Strives to be involved with the community in general, developing bonds with other forum members and attending meets if applicable.

-Stable and level headed. We can't have staff members who have a history of flying off the handle and/or overreacting to things.

-Drama free. Because no one wants to deal with a drama queen, and I'd like to keep this forum a drama-free zone.

-Tough yet fair. Moderators have to have empathy. They need to see both sides of a given issue. However, they need to be able to stick to their guns and follow through when it's time to deal with someone who is in the wrong.

-Unbiased. We're all friendly here, and I'm happy about that. However, there are times when some of our best friends can be the bad guy. If and when that is the case, moderators need to recognize that, and deal with their friend the same way they'd deal with anyone else. It would be unfair to go easy on your friends.

-Positive Attitude. Moderators should promote a positive attitude in general, and keep negative remarks to a minimum.

-Trustworthy. In time, staff issues may arise that will be gossip worthy. If that's the case, I'd need moderators who would only discuss staff issues with other staff members (unless otherwise noted). In other words, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

-Follows and enforces the rules. Obviously, we can't have staff members who aren't following the rules themselves. When it comes to enforcing a given rule, staff members have to understand that while they will have input into making the rules, there may be some rules that they don't agree with. A moderator needs to be able to enforce all rules, not just the ones that he or she agrees with.

-Computer literate. Since this is an online forum, afterall, you do need to be computer literate and have a decent understanding of how the web works. If you don't know a gif from a pdf, you'd better educate yourself if you want to be on staff.

-Literate. 99% of communication and collaboration related to this forum is via posts, private messages, and online chat. You have to be able to communicate effectively. If your posts are hard to read, have frequent typos, misspelled words, bad grammar, poor punctuation, etc, it's going to be hard to communicate with you. You also need to be able to understand what other forum members are saying (assuming they post clearly), since that's the mode of communication here. A moderator needs to be able to write and read clearly and effectively.

So until I can think of more, that's it, in a nutshell. I have pretty high expectations of my staff, as I feel that a great staff is key to building a top-notch community.

If you feel you meet the above criteria, please copy and paste the form in the following post, fill it out, and PM it to me, InfantryMP, or ripnet with the title "[forum you'd like to moderate] Moderator Application".

Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Full name:

Date of Birth:

AIM/ICQ/MSN/Yahoo screen name(s):

Home Address:

Mobile Phone Number:

Alternate Phone Number:

Forum applying to moderate:

Why do you think you would be a good moderator for the above forum?

Have you read and understood "What I'm looking for in a moderator"?

Of the things listed in "What I'm looking for in a moderator", which items could you potentially have trouble with? Be honest.

Are you, or have you been a staff member of another web forum? If yes, please list and explain. Be sure to give your forum name on those forums where your name differs from here.

Describe yourself:

Tell us about a time that you showed yourself as a leader:

Tell us about a time where you had to enforce a rule or regulation with someone that is a friend:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.