Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just thinking that it's possible people could be driving evo XI about this time next year... if the '12 is the last X?... and add about another thirty more "if's" because you never know what we will have for the XI until more information is released from Mits. Keeping that all in mind, and if the next evo is diesel-hybrid, how would you go about making it faster in the under 60mph range? From what I've been reading the electric lithium-ion powered motors are used for low speed power and diesel for high speed... Since electric is used for low speed, I'm thinking most your basic power mods are not going to have the same performance for the cost.. for example, exhaust, intake or drop in filter, pipes, all of these things make a fairly significant difference on a stock evo X... I just don't see basic mods having the same effect on a hybrid. I wonder how long it will take tuning to develop? Probably forever... I'm guessing a year, or more?

Why am I asking, I guess trying to get a feel for what's coming because I have an X with 7 thousand miles on it and if a XI is coming it will effect the price of my car one way or another.. and if the XI is a better car, not just more economical because I care more about performance vs gas cost, I would want to sell my car to upgrade.... and that time is coming closer and closer. If it truly is coming then in theory we could order in Oct 2012.

Just had another thought, imagine seeing an evo cruising down the street at 25-35-45 miles per hour without hearing the engine.. :freak:

·
Registered
865 Posts
even if it does make it out to production i would not get the 1st year of production. iam sure there will be plenty of bugs in it. being in the early group to mod the car would be similar but more costly then the sst failures with bad batteries and such. i love the idea but untill the car is out and a decent amount of miles are put on them i would not worry. i doubt they will effect pricing much either do to the hatters who do not like/understand instant torque.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Generally speaking, messing with an electrical outlet ground is never recommended. A system is built upon certain voltages and electrical pathways and when you add more volt power to a system it is not going to adjust properly, especially if the systems wiring is not meant for more voltage.

I don't know much about diesel engines in vehicles but being an Elevator Technician, I know that if you mess with an electrical system too much.. you are going to be burnt (or electrocuted figuratively speaking of course unless your doing the modding under the hood which is not recommended unless you are familiar with how electricity works).

I see this car as being an awesome DD and I am sure it will be full of power (electricity is far better than gas when it comes to ohm resistance and power (short bursts.. like the others have said 0-60mph range). This will make me assume that the Evo will be in the under 5's when hitting 60mph. I assume the Diesel engine will then kick in .. either way I am interested to see how this plays out.

Mitsubishi knows that the majority of Evo drivers will want to mod the car. So how they play with electrical / hybrid mix will be very interesting.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well hopefully IF this actually goes down it will be a small diesel engine that is just big enough to charge the batteries and the majority of the car would be propelled by an electric motor on each wheel.
I highly doubt it, diesel engines are a lot easier to mod than an electric system. If Mitsubishi is smart the diesel engine will be in place for raw power and torque.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I am hoping the electric part is for take off and then goes away. That way the diesel can still be modded for top end. Of course I am not sure if getting more power out of the diesel will also create more electricity which may be a bad thing by possibly over charging the battery?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Solving overcharging would be 1 of the easy things. i doubt they will do the 4 independent motors again like they did own the older elctric evo since thye thought that car was to expensive to repair after the accident. i am still hoping for a split electric front deisel rear or some system where it may be able to be used similar to the kers system and for taking off from a stop.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I am hoping the electric part is for take off and then goes away. That way the diesel can still be modded for top end. Of course I am not sure if getting more power out of the diesel will also create more electricity which may be a bad thing by possibly over charging the battery?
More than likely the electric configuration will be more for taking off and driving at city and highway speeds (The Electrical configurations should always be active, it should be the Diesel that kicks in off the start to add more torque and then kick in at high end power.. i.e you can mod the vehicle easier).

And that is what I am afraid of too, if you mess with an electrical system generally speaking you're going to have to redo the whole system (which is a nightmare). Add more ohms to a system.. and the system will be sporadic as to how it acts. Overcharging the battery is a possibility.. thats the last thing you want when hitting 100+ on the freeway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking the same thing. I'm sure the electric motors are for take off. I'm guessing you will not be able to change much with these. Whatever the factory 0-60 is I don't see improving it much. Plus, you bring up a good point. Modding the engine will have some effect on charging.

I'm hopeful the 0-60 is going to be crazy fast, but the thing that might suck here is that it will make all evo's basically the same 0-60, and if you want to modify anything that will give you significant change in hp/torque it's going to cost a ton of money... for example, why buy a cobb ap, or exhaust if the car already does 0-60 in 4 seconds. I don't know what the 0-60 is, I guess my point is hybrid sports cars have access to instant torque so they are super quick off the line before the engine starts to kick in.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I highly doubt it, diesel engines are a lot easier to mod than an electric system. If Mitsubishi is smart the diesel engine will be in place for raw power and torque.
Raw torque goes to the electric motor hands down....instant torque. I have no idea how they plan to make the motors work together, but if they do as other have suggested in this thread (electric off the start, and the diesel at higher speeds) that would be perfect.

It would just be a matter of time until someone hacks the code that limits torque (because there has to be some kind of limit, otherwise instant torque would kill the transmission). After that you could easily increase it to as much as the driveline could handle (hopefully this is strong in stock form). And then for top end, people would just mod the diesel in a traditional way.

I see people spending more money (on physical parts/mods) on the transmission and driveline than on the engine. Increasing the electric motor's output will basically be like tuning your X's ecu (once hacked..maybe a year, maybe more). For straight line performance, I don't really see the added weight being a factor, just hope it's not too heavy so that it still handles well.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Raw torque goes to the electric motor hands down....instant torque. I have no idea how they plan to make the motors work together, but if they do as other have suggested in this thread (electric off the start, and the diesel at higher speeds) that would be perfect.

It would just be a matter of time until someone hacks the code that limits torque (because there has to be some kind of limit, otherwise instant torque would kill the transmission). After that you could easily increase it to as much as the driveline could handle (hopefully this is strong in stock form). And then for top end, people would just mod the diesel in a traditional way.

I see people spending more money (on physical parts/mods) on the transmission and driveline than on the engine. Increasing the electric motor's output will basically be like tuning your X's ecu (once hacked..maybe a year, maybe more). For straight line performance, I don't really see the added weight being a factor, just hope it's not too heavy so that it still handles well.
Hmm.. You have raw torque and instant torque mixed up. Instant torque is going to come from the electric motor while raw torque will come from the diesel engine (this is why big trucks have diesel engines and not electric ones). Both of these platforms ; electric with instant torque and diesel with raw torque are going to make the Evo accelerate very quickly. What I was saying is that they might use the Diesel engine to add raw torque to the instant torque to make the car accelerate quicker, the only downfall from that is fuel economy.

Generally speaking, you don't want to test limits on electric platforms. If Mitsubishi is smart, they are going to have the electric configuration simple so it can be serviced easier with less problems. But if people start messing with electrical outputs..they could fry their car.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The tourqe you are talking about, will come from the electric motor/s period. Most hybrids have a very small diesel engine to charge the batteries only. The diesel engine can provide power the car, however because the engines are tiny the performance will be hugely affected and also the range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When the Eclipse concept was being shown in magazines it was a combustion engine powering the front, with two electric motors powering the back. Of course, we never got to see that car. My understanding was this was where the Evo was supposed to go as well.

But the Evo being what it is, and with its reputation, its poised to do something more remarkable if Mitsu wants to.

I think being completely electric driven, with a small constant speed desiel (bio-fuel whatever) generator is what the future truly holds being that what Americans really want-need is a car that can travel long distances.

All four corners or one single motor will work. Two motors, one in the front and one in the rear would work too, but leave less room for a generator etc (obviously).

Either way, being electric driven, with the right transmission, this will be a very strong, and fast car not just 0-60 but top end as well. It should be able to handle just fine assuming they use the right power to weight ratio, good suspension, and computer.

Look at what electric drag bikes are doing. Deseils are at Lemans. And it wont be too long before eletric race cars are competing.

Where theres gray matter theres a way. Mods are in the future right along with hybrids. Youll just void your warranty, just like now! Or catch your car on fire like AMS did!

·
Premium Member
5,995 Posts
Im sure someone could always set it up so the Diesel kicks in off the go in conjunction with the electric motor. Who knows, there will be a ton of variables to look at as options once the final specs are out. I for one am very excited, something new to play with ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HOPEFULLY the Evo will continue as we "know" it and the base Lancer will get the humiliating hybrid crap. Mitsu has to know that the interest for a diesel/battery Evo is practically zero...

Give me my ozone killing Evo!
I don't know about that, there's a few supercars going this route and the instant torque, and off the line acceleration interesting... I just don't see it happening in the price range evo's are at now with the performance we have now.... $45-50 thousand dollar evo's are not good for the market imo... so you either end up with a weak sauce hybrid evo @ 35-40 thousand, or one that's too expensive....

I agree with you tho... they should throw this in the lancer for the first year and test the waters before messing with the x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.