Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for stupid question, but Ive looked into alot of cars being tuned online. The EVO seems to gain about 15-20hp more than other turbo performance cars out there. What makes it tune so much better. Does the it come from the factory running that rich??

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Well, first of all, 4b11T in the evo is pretty undertuned, I believe the exhaust is pretty restrictive, another thing is that it is running rich, but I am not too sure if it is still running rich after the factory reflash. One more thing is that it can handle pretty high PSI.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
why is this in vanity?

EDIT
my bad lol. I really should pay more attention first.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The stock exhaust blows chunks. The car is so friendly to a tune because its A/F ratio isn't efficient out of factory(even with the dealer flash) and there is a lot of power to open up. You can tell by just looking at the stock dyno powerband. very rough and spikey. Also sometimes tunes and boost controllers will hold boost better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey EvoXRacer, I'm from T-town also and am looking to get an X in a couple months( waiting for the MR to come out!). Did you get your X from Norton? I have a speed3 right now and after COBB came out with the AP I was pretty disappointed in the potential gains. I love how the X has tons of potential

·
Registered
949 Posts
The IX picked up 45 WHP just from a computer tune, so we are not too far off from that number. Once people really start messing with the MIVEC maps, and start understanding the car better, I think we are going to see quite a few extra horses. Its still early enough that no one has really figured out what the limits are yet either! When the big tuning houses get their cars, I am looking forward to hearing their thoughts after several days of "playing".

·
Registered
186 Posts
The car is overbuilt...and "mass market" tuned from the factory. I cannot wait until I tune my car, I'm tired of having the black soot covering my trunk and rear bumper.

Oh...and the factory reflash didn't help with the A/F ratio one bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly. Simply with a TBE, this car would pick up so much power with a tune, as the stock exhaust has 9.5lbs of backpressure. WTF mitsu!

That's pretty exciting news to hear! How do you guys feel about the stock ability to hold boost until high in the rpm band? I hear everyone talking about getting the EvoX tuned to make a lot more power, but I know from previous experience with my SRT-4 that one of the most cost-effective, bang-for-the-buck mods I made was upgrading my wastegate actuator to a unit with a stronger spring so I wouldn't be leaking boost higher in the revs. Before the flames rain down, I know this is a completely different car, but wouldn't the same principles apply, esp if boost is down to 13 lbs by redline in stock configuration?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.