Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mods would be needed to do this on pump 94. I am okay with turning the boost up but not sure what is a safe number.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am on stock turbo using 1000cc injectors, divided downpipe, hks catback exhaust. MR making 360whp on a dynapak. When i tuned using E85 make 403whp. Only pushing 21psi. Its all in being able to increase your timing in the higher load ranges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am on stock turbo using 1000cc injectors, divided downpipe, hks catback exhaust. MR making 360whp on a dynapak. When i tuned using E85 make 403whp. Only pushing 21psi. Its all in being able to increase your timing in the higher load ranges.
Is it a bad idea to turn up the boost to hit 400whp or very close on pump? I know a guy who is on a stock turbo running 29 PSI and is at 400whp.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You won’t hit 400whp on 94 with stock turbo. You will need meth at least. Only way to hit 400 or close on 94 is if the dyno reads really high or the dyno guy is changing parameters on dyno.

I could be wrong though so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you keep turning up boost on 94 you will start knocking and blow up your engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you keep turning up boost on 94 you will start knocking and blow up your engine.
Odd... someone I know says hes on FBO running 94 stock turbo 29 PSI... idk what or who to believe at this point and im kinda stuck on what to do or where to go with modding.

·
Registered
128 Posts
29 psi is definetly possible on 93 with stock turbo. But there’s more to it than just boost. Fuel and timing is very important as well.

You have to keep in mind that turbos also have a range where they are more efficient. If you are out of those ranges the turbos create more heat. A big advantage of meth or e85 is that it has cooling properties that pump gas doesn’t.

I’m no tuner so I don’t know too much. I suggest you speak to different tuners and see what they think. Also search the forums and see what others have made on pump gas with stock turbo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
29 psi is definetly possible on 93 with stock turbo. But there’s more to it than just boost. Fuel and timing is very important as well.

You have to keep in mind that turbos also have a range where they are more efficient. If you are out of those ranges the turbos create more heat. A big advantage of meth or e85 is that it has cooling properties that pump gas doesn’t.

I’m no tuner so I don’t know too much. I suggest you speak to different tuners and see what they think. Also search the forums and see what others have made on pump gas with stock turbo.
Alright, still not sure whether I should get a evo 8 for 25k or a evo x for 15k

·
Registered
128 Posts
Evo X is a better daily and has more creture comforts. Evo 8 is cheaper to make power on because of the iron block which means you don’t need to sleeve it later on. USDM evo 8s also have a stronger rear diff than the X. The evo 8 is also lighter but lacks ayc. The 8 will also hold value better.

If power was my main goal though, I would not pick an evo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evo X is a better daily and has more creture comforts. Evo 8 is cheaper to make power on because of the iron block which means you don’t need to sleeve it later on. USDM evo 8s also have a stronger rear diff than the X. The evo 8 is also lighter but lacks ayc. The 8 will also hold value better.

If power was my main goal though, I would not pick an evo.
What platform would you pick? I am looking to make 800whp for a good price. Preferably an awd car to actually put the power down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are looking for 800whp on 94 octane and meth a lot of motors can make that on stock block(LS3, coyote, 2JZ, B58 possibly and more). Though most of those are on RWD cars. If you want an AWD car for a reasonable price the Evo 8 is probably your best bet. You can get GTRs too but those are rather expensive.

If your end goal is 800whp on the X or 8 it will be hard even with meth injection. I haven’t seen an 800whp evo on pump gas before even with meth. It’s doable but probably not safe to drive around like that all the time.

A local shop that specializes in supras and 2jz have made multiple 700-800+ whp with 94+meth on stock block 2JZs and the cars are haven’t blown up yet. Albeit they are not dailies. LS motors are also known to make a lot of power on stock block. 800+whp on pump gas + meth is not too hard to find in vettes and camaros.

I like evos though. They are nice to drive in winter and have 4 doors which is a big plus for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are looking for 800whp on 94 octane and meth a lot of motors can make that on stock block(LS3, coyote, 2JZ, B58 possibly and more). Though most of those are on RWD cars. If you want an AWD car for a reasonable price the Evo 8 is probably your best bet. You can get GTRs too but those are rather expensive.

If your end goal is 800whp on the X or 8 it will be hard even with meth injection. I haven’t seen an 800whp evo on pump gas before even with meth. It’s doable but probably not safe to drive around like that all the time.

A local shop that specializes in supras and 2jz have made multiple 700-800+ whp with 94+meth on stock block 2JZs and the cars are haven’t blown up yet. Albeit they are not dailies. LS motors are also known to make a lot of power on stock block. 800+whp on pump gas + meth is not too hard to find in vettes and camaros.

I like evos though. They are nice to drive in winter and have 4 doors which is a big plus for me.
I mean yea I see what ur saying with vettes and bigger motors and what not but vettes are 30k + where I am plus the mods to get it to 800whp it seems like there’s just better options. I would like awd to actually put the power down. I have a buddy who is building his evo x to 800whp on 94 not sure if he’s going meth or not. I get what you are saying where it’s cheaper to make that power on other motors but I have to factor in the cost of the car and honestly I’m not sure where to go from here 😭😭😭.

·
Registered
128 Posts
800whp on 94 will require meth for sure and will be pretty sketchy. The thing is you will have to get the 4b11 built if you want to go any where near 800whp. A sleeved 4b11 short block easily runs 7-8k CAD. And is that 15k evo x older than 2011? If it is you will likely have to address the diff pin issues before you start launching or beating on it. Thats another 4k+ CAD to havr someone do it for you. You will likely have to go through the rear diff or change it to a ralliart one which can be found for like 500$ and might not include the axle shafts another 200 used. So basically:

-15k for car
-8k for motor
-4k to go through trans for the center diff (unless you do it yourself)
-500 for the rear diff
Total: 27500CAD for a car that doesn’t have any power mods through it. Add another 7-8k for turbo kit, 2k for fueling, 3-4k for misc stuff(gauges, catch cans, intercooler, meth, tune etc) to get 800whp
I also suspect the 15k evo x is high mileage. Also keep in mind a built 4b11 will require more attention and periodic maintenance than a stock block 2jz or ls3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
800whp on 94 will require meth for sure and will be pretty sketchy. The thing is you will have to get the 4b11 built if you want to go any where near 800whp. A sleeved 4b11 short block easily runs 7-8k CAD. And is that 15k evo x older than 2011? If it is you will likely have to address the diff pin issues before you start launching or beating on it. Thats another 4k+ CAD to havr someone do it for you. You will likely have to go through the rear diff or change it to a ralliart one which can be found for like 500$ and might not include the axle shafts another 200 used. So basically:

-15k for car
-8k for motor
-4k to go through trans for the center diff (unless you do it yourself)
-500 for the rear diff
Total: 27500CAD for a car that doesn’t have any power mods through it. Add another 7-8k for turbo kit, 2k for fueling, 3-4k for misc stuff(gauges, catch cans, intercooler, meth, tune etc) to get 800whp
I also suspect the 15k evo x is high mileage. Also keep in mind a built 4b11 will require more attention and periodic maintenance than a stock block 2jz or ls3.
yea that’s a lot of money but where am I supposed to get a far with a 2jz in it? Or are you saying to swap it? La3 can be found in a Bette but those r 30k. Another car i have had my eyes on for the longest time was a 370z im not sure if you know anything about that Motor but might aswell ask how good it is at 800whp... Honestly not sure what car to pick up now I’m not into American v8’s imo don’t like the sound and most muscle cars are heavy. I want something light and fast that can meet my power goals. And thanks for helping me with this.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't mean do a 2jz swap but rather get a car with a 2Jz already like the Gen 1 IS300, gen 1 SC300, GS300 or even MK4 supras. You can find those cars except the supra for cheap. If you don't live in quebec JDM supras are relatively good to buy. You can probably import a Turbo 6 speed supra from japan for 30-40k. The motor, trans and diff will take 800whp easily stock. You also won't lose a cent if you ever decide to sell them. They won't depreciate like the Evo X.

As for the VQ motors in the 370z I know they can probably take 6-700whp but other than that I don't know the specifics. Best you search the 370z forums for more info.

As for american cars like the vette people think they can't handle well but it's the opposite. A c6 vette will destroy an evo on the track. It helps that they are 400lbs lighter too. If you like roll racing a vette will almost always beat an evo x of the same power. They have crazy top end. IMO best go test drive a bunch of cars and see what you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't mean do a 2jz swap but rather get a car with a 2Jz already like the Gen 1 IS300, gen 1 SC300, GS300 or even MK4 supras. You can find those cars except the supra for cheap. If you don't live in quebec JDM supras are relatively good to buy. You can probably import a Turbo 6 speed supra from japan for 30-40k. The motor, trans and diff will take 800whp easily stock. You also won't lose a cent if you ever decide to sell them. They won't depreciate like the Evo X.

As for the VQ motors in the 370z I know they can probably take 6-700whp but other than that I don't know the specifics. Best you search the 370z forums for more info.

As for american cars like the vette people think they can't handle well but it's the opposite. A c6 vette will destroy an evo on the track. It helps that they are 400lbs lighter too. If you like roll racing a vette will almost always beat an evo x of the same power. They have crazy top end. IMO best go test drive a bunch of cars and see what you like.
Thanks man

·
Registered
910 Posts
400whp on a stock turbo using 94 isn't going to happen on any legitimate dyno. Even 350whp on an accurate dyno is going to take some work.

If you're dead set on 400whp on pump gas, use an MHI Turbo or something.
Agreed. 350-360 is about the max you can arguably make with a stock turbo and stock block.

If you max it well past efficiency on a built engine, sure, 400+ is possible, as an exercise in doing it. But other than bragging rights, a MHI18k is the best choice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts