Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my 20 year old Ford Explorer and wanted to see if anyone has experience DD'ing and long distance driving. My commute for work is extremely short and typically I dont drive more than 20 minutes in any direction for anything. But every couple months I take a 5 or 6 hour drive to see family with my wife and our dog. I know the Evo X has a small gas tank, hows the rest of the long distance drive experience? Is it comfortable at all or am I making a wrong decision thinking I can take me and the wife out of state in an Evo? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have an extremely short commute to the train station and it was no problem in the evo. my only concern was leaving it parked there and having some dumbass key it or mash the door in

ended up getting a cheap beater to drive and park. i'd have no concerns driving the evo out of state. the gas tank is small but you can still get a decent distance out of a full tank

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Its a great daily IMO but not so much on long distances at 75 mph. Due to its short gearing youd be at a highish rpm the whole time and higher NVH levels. Having said that I dailyed mine for 50K miles including several 2000 miles texas from texas to michigan.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For many years, the X was the only car I had. I would drive it everywhere. It’s fine for a DD as long as the maintenance is kept up.
As far as long drives go, like mentioned, 5th gear is a little noisy due to the RPMs being so high when going about 75-80. It’s almost at 4K. But besides that, it’s fine. Some people complained about the Recaros seats after a couple hours but I have always loved them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Surprisingly it has been the most reliable car I owned so far (out of 23 cars) As others state if you drive anything above 60mph in the highway the gearing
just feels too short. On my TSX im around 2800rpm at 75mph very quiet Now on the Evo its around 4k+ @75mph. If this might bother you then you should go for the
auto MR version which has an extra gear.
Other then that its very comfortable and enjoyable to drive in the highway

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've have an X MR (6-speed dual clutch) that I bought new in 2011. I've put 55k on it, using it as a daily in addition to three 1500+ mile road trips. The car is amazing: not only does it feel special, but with good maintenance, it's unbelievably reliable. As an aside, I think that it's 4b11 engine is a marvel. But, a road trip car, it is not. The MR has more sound deadening material than the GSR and I found the road/wind noise to be obnoxious. Additionally, even though the MR has one more gear, the final drive ratio is quite close to that of the GSR (the engine is spinning at over 3500rpm at 75mph). Because of all the noise, I resorted to wearing noise-cancelling in-ear headphones on longer journeys. Supposedly, the Touring Package adds even more sound deadening material to the MR. Perhaps consider one of those.

Although I recently purchased a big bimmer to make those longer journeys more enjoyable, I kept the Evo because it's just so fun. If you're just commuting around town (with the occasional longer jaunt) I'd say go find yourself an MR touring). And if you're in CO, message me directly as I'd be happy to let you have a go in the Evo to see if it's the car for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 MR touring. 180 or so miles is no problem. 500 is a long day. Part of that is I'm 70, part of that is I had a 1992 and 1999 3000 VR4. Those spoiled you pretty good as road cars, and frequently went 350 to 500 miles a day. I don't find the noise so bad, but the Recaros are a bit confining for my old body on a long haul. The short wheelbase also contributes to a choppy ride on rough freeways. If your younger, not a problem. Of course, I don't hear so well either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts