Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fortunately it has not snowed yet in Chicago/Peoria region, but unfortunately I have had my Blizzaks ws60 on since Oct 15 with 3000 miles on them already for this season just running on tarmac.

So how long do these tires last? Do I still rotate them every 6000 miles or should I do it every 3000/oil change?

Tirerack does not have a tread life rating mentioned for these.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'd love to know this question too as I fitted BB LM 25s about 2 weeks ago, but I suppose it depends on how you drive and what the weather is like?

We have only seen one day of snow over here in Germany this winter, and when its dry and i boot it!!... i keep forgetting that Im running winter tyres!! they are crap in the dry/wet and hot temps!! but for that snowy day I was ploughing through the snow no problem.

they wont last long in the Dry IMO.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I can't answer to Blizzaks but my Nokians on the Civic has lasted since 2007 and still going... I gather it'll depend on how it's driven.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't have any experience with blizzaks on my evo, but with my old volkswagen I could say that they don't last very long. They are a pretty soft tire, I could physically move the tread. I was advise when I bought them to try and not run too long on dry pavement with them, because they will wear excessively premature. I too live in chicago, and I would get about 1.5 seasons out of a set of two (it was FWD), before I had to rotate. I would have them on from about late November till about mid march or so.

In short, they are soft, wear quickly on pavement.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It barely snowed this winter and I have my Blizzaks on. Just don't drive hard and the tires should last. I probably should have kept the summer tires on.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Something I noticed, most people so far have mentioned their concerns due to a lack of snow. Winter tires are also important in low temperatures, not just snow on the ground. Granted, you'll get longer tread life with snow on the ground than not.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something I noticed, most people so far have mentioned their concerns due to a lack of snow. Winter tires are also important in low temperatures, not just snow on the ground. Granted, you'll get longer tread life with snow on the ground than not.

yeah but for that I could have gotton all seasons with a bit stiffer compound, I got a snow tire and there aint no damn snow!

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
No direct experience with Blizzaks, but the comparable Michelin PA3 which I have, have lasted me 3 winters now and still counting (on their 4th now). I have almost 15K miles on them. I also ran them until June in 2009.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i've had my blizak lm25s for 3 full winters and this "winter", maybe 12,000 miles total minimum, slightly more aggressive alignment than stock and hardly any noticeable wear. i usually wait until last minute to put them on, so usually november, and i think i take them off just before april or when ever it finally starts to warm up. here's a pic from the blizzard we had in february last year..hard to tell but seriously, they look perfectly fine and will last me many more seasons.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
im on my forth season on my Blizzaks. Still have half tread at-least. Probably close to 20,000 mile son them. It all depends on how warm it gets. Not so much the snow. They tear up when it is warm out. Cold they last much longer.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey guys, John83 pinged me to chime in here, i have blizzacks and have had them since the winter of 08 when i got my car. They are on from pretty much just before thanksgiving until early april.

I drive 13k to 15k a year. This is their fourth winter and the tread is perfectly meaty, probably 60-65% left still. Pardon my language but i drive like an ass, i really do. So i brake hard, corner hard (by the way they suck for that type of driving), and everything in between. Hell, i did a "track tour" at Autobahn Country Club with Raytrix last March and my tires were still on lol.

These tire are without a doubt worth the investment, i've stopped on ice before, it was absurd. So as Racer X just mentioned, its not like they require snow to work lol, its just that as the average temps start to get and stay above 45-50 you'll want to start thinking about taking them off, since the warmer it is, the quicker they wear.

Edit: Also, Im lazy and dont bother rotating them at all during that time period. So for those keeping count, i drive hard and dont take care of them and they still wear slowly lol

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
now looking back, i think it's funny how people use to say i was going to ruin my tires doing what i did in the snow...

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I've got Dunlop snow tires (similar quality) and I've driven on them about 12k miles and they've got tons of tread left. I drive like a freaking maniac on them too.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts