Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are so many conflicting ideas on this transmission. one seems to remain the same though. this transmission is not serviceable. yes its built by getrag, but ultimately its in a mitsubishi, thats who warranties it. im so scared of it breaking since my warranty will be voided in a second, i dont have $10-$12k for a new one, especially on a car thats only $37k. this is bullshit, there must be something we can do. i was just curious if anyone has more than 27k miles on stock SST everything?

·
Deliverer of threads
2,998 Posts
jeremy's sst has over 40k on it, steel's has over 50k on his. kozmic has close to 30k on his.

i think the actual sst will last a long time as long as your tcu doesn't randomly fail.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm pushing 30k with ap turbo-back exhaust, cobb inlet, aem intake (K&N filter) ETS 3.5 FMIC w/UICP/LICP, Cobb AP stage 2 tune. Drive it like I stole it enough to have a 106/65. Had it up to 165mph (don't ask) and I've ran it plenty of times. Tranny is fine. From what I know until I go huge power and torque there is little problem.

Hope this is helpful.

But if money is that big an option you really might wanna trade it in for a GSR. At least think about it.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope it does, ill have to sell car if mine breaks. afraid to ever go past 321lb-ft since i cant afford new clutches. as soon as my check from my old 401k comes in the mail ill have money to get SSP's inline filter and 8 liters of their gold fluid.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I'm of the opinion that even though Mitsubishi services the warranty claims, you're better of investing in avoiding that route, even if it voids the warranty. You care has obviously been raced, and even if its stock, they'll have no problems telling you to piss off and file any failure under the 'abuse' category. Modifying to improve durability will void the warranty, but its the best option imo.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm at 31k on my SST. Car has slowly been modified since 5k miles. Driven semi-roughly almost daily and the tranny seams to be doing fine.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why do you have an aem intake with a k&n filter? ill only use aem, ill never use k&n filters again.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm of the opinion that even though Mitsubishi services the warranty claims, you're better of investing in avoiding that route, even if it voids the warranty. You care has obviously been raced, and even if its stock, they'll have no problems telling you to piss off and file any failure under the 'abuse' category. Modifying to improve durability will void the warranty, but its the best option imo.
like the last sentence says, thats exactly why i made most of my modifications.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
why do you have an aem intake with a k&n filter? ill only use aem, ill never use k&n filters again.
My buddy gave me a huge hook up on it but the filter was trashed so I just got an K&N because I have never personally had issues with it. I didn't really think about the fact that I could have got an AEM filter til now. lol

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a spare aem filter that i had on my car for like 5k miles, i paid $38 for it, you can have it for $45shipped.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i have a spare aem filter that i had on my car for like 5k miles, i paid $38 for it, you can have it for $45shipped.
I'm good I've had no problems with the K&N and it's been on my current EVO for a good 15k and my last EVO (Rip) for about 11k. Thanks tho.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, cool, id put it on the wife's lesbaru but its too much work because of the shape of that airbox

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have about 54k on a mostly stock regularly abused one and other than confusion a couple times no issues.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn, that many launches, so i guess ill try 1 drag race. yes, you heard correct, if a bunch of locals go, i will also.

·
Most likely in chat
2,525 Posts
I just hit the 80000km mark on my SST, transmission is bone stock aside from the SSP oil cooler, deep pan and inline filter. Had a run of Willall fluid which ive swapped out for SSTF for the time being.
Car had stock turbo for just over a year, FP Green for just under a year, and now has the AMS turbo kit.
YMMV but my rear diff was the first thing to go. I would say the car has spent roughly 10-15 hours on track in its lifetime.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just blew my sst in my 2010 and it only had 10000 on it exactly. I haven't tracked it just driven spirited but don't beat too bad on it. And when it happened I was letting off the gas getting off the highway. Mitsubishi covered it after haveing it for 3 days looking at it. But got it back in 12 days. I have put only like 200 miles on it since but am still kind of nervous. Forgot to mention no mods except k&n drop in.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im thinking of switching to SSP gold fluid, some say stick with diaqueen, of course vendors will say their's is better, i dont know.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts