Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

how many bolts have you broken

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, im talking to the gf about ordering a new bolt for the o2 housing to turbo. My buddy snapped one of mine while removing the stock o2 housing to install the ams dp. She said we were to rough but my buddy barely put any force into it. So how many did u break?

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
On the stock O2 housing I've seen plenty snap off if PB Blaster isn't used.
Same goes for the stock O2 sensor and messing the threads up if not don'e right.

Anything on the hot side of the turbo is kind of expected depending on use and miles.
The ones you really have to watch out for are the stock cam cap bolts, those little fuckers break off if you look at them funny.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Depends if we are counting on how many I break every time I work on the car or total. ;) Seriously, it is just part of working on the cars.

I had the o2 housing bolts break in the turbo housing within the same season. Luckily I have a friend who is over ambitious and sees them as a challenge to see how fast he can get them out.
http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/2012/02/seized-bolt-removal-with-jolly-ranchers/

Stephen

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
i snapped off every damn bolt on the heat shield on my exhaust manifold, it was the after market JNZ tuning one, anyone interested in a Heat shield...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
i snapped off every damn bolt on the heat shield on my exhaust manifold, it was the after market JNZ tuning one, anyone interested in a Heat shield...
How much shipped. 80922

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
On the stock O2 housing I've seen plenty snap off if PB Blaster isn't used.
Same goes for the stock O2 sensor and messing the threads up if not don'e right.

Anything on the hot side of the turbo is kind of expected depending on use and miles.
The ones you really have to watch out for are the stock cam cap bolts, those little fuckers break off if you look at them funny.
I used pb blaster for about 1 hour and still broke a bolt. Pb blaster won't stop a bolt from breaking

I have fucked up 2 bolts in that damn thing but only voted one as only one has snapped

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The stock bolts from factory have very little anti seize. Definitely need to use a penetrant and also try to remove them when warm. I don't recommend hot.

I've had mine of 4 times now and numerous other times on other cars.
Patience is key.
When you re install, use antiseize. No exceptions. And when you torque, since they are
Wet bolts now. Reduce the torque rating by 5 Lb -ft to prevent over torquing.

If one breaks off, drilling it out is a bitch. They are hardened bolts. I replaced all mine with grade 8 stainless steel. It really helps to prevent seizing especially under high heat applications.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Copper or Nickle anti-seize is key. I do it with every removal and I wire brush the them on grinder to get any rust build up off. Works just fine. I never broke any turbo, manifold, etc... bolts off. I don't use PB Blaster or Any penetrating oil either. I just find it makes everything slick and mess to work on.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Copper or Nickle anti-seize is key. I do it with every removal and I wire brush the them on grinder to get any rust build up off. Works just fine. I never broke any turbo, manifold, etc... bolts off. I don't use PB Blaster or Any penetrating oil either. I just find it makes everything slick and mess to work on.
I use anti-seize on everything, even thought about brushing my goddamn teeth with it, since it works so well!

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I use anti-seize on everything, even thought about brushing my goddamn teeth with it, since it works so well!
Same here. Everything gets the treatment unless is a component I don't want to get loose like steering or suspension stuff. Otherwise it get's the anti-seize on it.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Same here. Everything gets the treatment unless is a component I don't want to get loose like steering or suspension stuff. Otherwise it get's the anti-seize on it.
Same, I draw the line at rotating/moving parts. Some use it on lug nuts but that just seems like a bad idea to me. I remove my wheels almost weekly so they aren't ever on the verge of seizing anyhow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.