Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if you guys are willing to share some stats so we can all get a better idea of the strength of these engines. Looking to see the longevity of these engines after holding increased boost and power. Mostly concerned with cars that are sometimes driven hard but are DD and not continuously beat on. We can all expect engine failure after repetitive abuse.

Mods? (to exclude rods, pistons, crank, etc)
Power/torque #'s?
Amount of time it has seen the increased power?
Miles driven with the increased power?
Longest trip without a break?
Problems that have arose; how long after seeing the increased power?

Looking forward to any input! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
BLACK HELICOPTER THREAD. This is a trick corporate sucker thread. Any divulged info is going to be used against you in warranty court. License plates, screen names, avatars, VIN's should all be redacted. You have been warned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BLACK HELICOPTER THREAD. This is a trick corporate sucker thread. Any divulged info is going to be used against you in warranty court. License plates, screen names, avatars, VIN's should all be redacted. You have been warned.
Uhhh, wtf are you talking about?

I'm def a regular dude who's about to have a BB FP Black installed and aiming for 430hp/sub400tq.

Just seeing what the general consensus is.

I dont even know wtf a "BLACK HELICOPTER THREAD" is. So go ahead and take that warning back.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Uhhh, wtf are you talking about?

I'm def a regular dude who's about to have a BB FP Black installed and aiming for 430hp/sub400tq.

Just seeing what the general consensus is.

I dont even know wtf a "BLACK HELICOPTER THREAD" is. So go ahead and take that warning back.

DUDE, you need to relax.

OK, it's all clear, this guy is legit.:thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't need fp black for that. Get a red.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I know that I don't need a Black for that. I tried to get a Red. There aren't anymore new ones and I can't send in my turbo for them to convert it. I'm going to want more power later anyway, so I went with a Black.

I'm just trying to figure out how long I can drive at these power levels before I'm putting myself at a greater risk than I already am going to be at.

Sooooo, now that we've covered the reason for me purchasing a Black and not a Red because apparently you have to explain yourself anytime you do something that somebody else doesn't agree with, can we get back on topic?

Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
No one can answer this question from the OP. Guys running stock everything have blown engines. Anything over 400/400 on stock internals is a grenade waiting to happen. Some run it and no issues, others blow theirs up. There are so many factors. If you are worried about it blowing up, you should not go that route. It is certainly possible.

Several have blown multiple engines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No one can answer this question from the OP. Guys running stock everything have blown engines. Anything over 400/400 on stock internals is a grenade waiting to happen. Some run it and no issues, others blow theirs up. There are so many factors. If you are worried about it blowing up, you should not go that route. It is certainly possible.

Several have blown multiple engines.
Thanks for wrapping up my entire search quest. I already know everything that you just stated. I am asking for details about cars that HAVE NOT blown up.

Go troll facebook or something.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
I'll take a stab, I had 2 mod phases, pre turbo and post turbo upgrade:

Mods? BBX Lite, full race mani, full ETS bolt-ons, wally 255, FIC1100. tephramod mapswitching tune at CBRD
Power/torque #'s? 410/350 on E85, 375/310 on 93
Amount of time it has seen the increased power? since 09/2011
Miles driven with the increased power? About 5K, Did 2 track days
Longest trip without a break? Probably to and from CBRD, about 100 mins
Problems that have arose; how long after seeing the increased power? melting cam sensor plug due to heat from Manifold, cracked turbo to UICP coupler due to heat-cycling from Exh Mani. Just discovered this week.

Mods? Same as above, but stock turbo, manifold and DP
Power/torque #'s? 303/291 on 93
Amount of time it has seen the increased power? since 06/2010
Miles driven with the increased power? about 15K
Longest trip without a break? don't remember, but probably around 4 hours.
Problems that have arose; how long after seeing the increased power? None.

I was 100% stock before that. Car is an 08GSR with 62K miles on the odo right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll take a stab, I had 2 mod phases, pre turbo and post turbo upgrade:

Mods? BBX Lite, full race mani, full ETS bolt-ons, wally 255, FIC1100. tephramod mapswitching tune at CBRD
Power/torque #'s? 410/350 on E85, 375/310 on 93
Amount of time it has seen the increased power? since 09/2011
Miles driven with the increased power? About 5K, Did 2 track days
Longest trip without a break? Probably to and from CBRD, about 100 mins
Problems that have arose; how long after seeing the increased power? melting cam sensor plug due to heat from Manifold, cracked turbo to UICP coupler due to heat-cycling from Exh Mani. Just discovered this week.

Mods? Same as above, but stock turbo, manifold and DP
Power/torque #'s? 303/291 on 93
Amount of time it has seen the increased power? since 06/2010
Miles driven with the increased power? about 15K
Longest trip without a break? don't remember, but probably around 4 hours.

I was 100% stock before that. Car is an 08GSR with 62K miles on the odo right now.

Good Info!! These are exactly the details that I think will help people!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mods: AMS 750R /stock block/stock clutch/ stock cams
hp/tq: 418/318 on AMS mustang dyno
Amount of time it has seen the increased power: 7k with spirited driving/track use. Will be tracking this year.
Miles driven with the increased power: 7k
Longest trip without a break: so far so good. no problems at all.

Car has been modded since day one. The only time it was stock was when i was breaking in the motor. maybe for 400 miles or so. Its been driven hard, and to be honest with you, as long as you are informed about your car, and you know how to avoid being stupid than you have just relieved 50% of any issues that might come up. The other 50% being a good tune. And by good tune i don't mean your cousins friends neighbors former roommate kinda tune. I mean a reputable tuner that knows the evo x platform. Nothing is perfect though, failures happen.

·
Registered
527 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.