Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Parts required: Styrofoam for making wreathes. Commonly found at craft shops like Michael's. Roughly you will need enough rings to make a height of about 6.5 inches.I used 3 rings that were 1-15/16ths thick and 1 solid disk that was just 15/16ths thick.
\

Here are to product labels:

3 of these:

1 of these:

Tools required : Caulk gun if using my method of gluing things together.

Number of people : 1

Difficulty : 2. Simply because it is more difficult that installing floor mats.

Time to complete 10-15 minutes.

Step 1 : Glue the rings together and disk together using a glue that is safe for foam board. Can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Step 2 : Remove rear trunk cover Jack, tire wrench and spare tire.

Step 3 : Remove the two foam pads. The one I'm pointing to as well as tje on directly to it's 6 o'clock.

Step 4 : Set the "trunk-tire" spacer in the center of the vacant space. You can choose to glue it down, but I just left if free. I will update if it shifts too much. Then reinstall everything in the same order that you removed it.

Thanks!

-Jeff

·
Registered
2011 Evolution X GSR (SSS)
1,628 Posts
Cool little write up.

But I find that removing the spare wheel assembly (tire, jack, tools, boards, etc.) and just laying the carpet at the bottom of the trunk yields the best result.

For one, there is much more room in the trunk and two, the weight savings!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course, and you can still easily do this once this is done. If you need more room, then just pull the panel and the foam wheel, and you are all set. For me though, I just need a nice flat area in the back.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
And what happens if a tire goes boom? Styro foam time yaaaayyy, unless this is for track purposes only
I prefer not to take that chance. I still have my spare and traced the top pattern to cut out plywood. Much stronger for a trunk full of groceries.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course, if you are scared of the prospect of having a blowout then don't do it. This is just another in a long line of options someone can do. I've never kept a spare in any of my "toy cars" if I get a flat, then it's time for a tow or fix a flat. That is a safer alternative than getting hit by another car while changing a tire on the side of the road. This is just my preference. I'm not suggesting or dictating what others should or will do.

-Jeff

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've used it on my BMW with the TPMS, as well as my wrangler unlimited many times. I've never had a problem. Are the TPMS sensors in the EVO not sealed against moisture?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.