Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m finally getting around to writing some guides for everyone and figured I’d start from the very beginning…a very good place to start! By way of introduction, I am an electrical engineer, a computer geek and a proud Evo X owner. I have NO, I repeat NO formal education in automotive mechanics and am writing these guides to benefit the community as a whole. That said, I am NOT in ANY way responsible or liable for any mishaps that may occur. ALWAYS take it upon yourself to verify and re-verify information…especially information found on the Internet. Ok, now that the CYA (cover you’re a$$) clause is out of the way....onward!

As most of you know, (or else you wouldn’t be visiting the ECUFlash subforum), ECUFlash is, and I quote “…a general-purpose ECU reflashing and editing tool…uses the OpenPort vehicle interface to reflash vehicles via the OBDII port. ECUFlash also allow you to edit ECU data (known as ‘maps’ or ‘tables’) in a human-redable format using an XML-based definition system to translate the data.” (excerpt from OpenECU.org’s ECUFlash page.)

What does this mean to us, the proud owners of Mitsubishi’s EVO X? It means that, given a little patience and a healthy dose of study, we can self-tune our cars, enhancing performance, drivability and even gas mileage while maintaining very safe thresholds. Excited? Good…you should be!

So, how do you get started? First, order your OpenPort 2.0 cable/dongle from Tactrix. You do NOT need the OpenPort 2.0 with Full Adapter Set if you plan on just tuning your EVO X. While you are waiting for your cable, download the latest version of ECUFlash. It will install on XP and Vista 32bit or 64bit editions of both. Please note that for XP users, SP3 is HIGHLY recommended by the developer Colby Boles. (Incidentally, please note that this whole effort is funded by donations and purchases of hardware from Tactrix!)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now that you have ECUFlash installed, I would highly recommend looking at and comparing the stock ROMs to modified ROMs that have been posted in this forum. While I understand you want to get to the "more power" part, a GOOD understanding of what the maps do certainly helps. I must admit, I don't know off the top of my head what each map is for, however, a good guide has been posted in the Evolutionm.net forums regarding the purpose of each map. In addition, it is important to understand to some degree, the basic theory behind how engines work, as well as specifics to do with turbo-charged cars.

So you've looked at the maps and have seen the pretty colored graphs...now what? Study some more, ask questions until your cable comes since you can't do much else. :p As soon as I, (or anyone else care to volunteer?), get a chance, I'll begin posting what each map does, what it controls and how to tweak them.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
FAQ:

How do I connect to my EVO X with ECUFlash?

With the car off, plug in the OpenPort 2.0 cable into the OBDII connector on the underside of the driver's side panel. Be careful not to kick it/hit it/yank out the cable! Plug in the USB cable end into your computer (hopefully a laptop that's in your car), that has ECUFlash installed on it. *IMPORTANT* Ensure that sleep or hibernation will NOT kick by changing your power options.
Turn the ignition 2 clicks, just short of cranking it. A menu will pop up asking how you want to connect to your vehicle. Select 2006+ Mitsubishi and hit ok. The status bar at the bottom should indicate that you are connected.

How do I flash a new ROM?

After completing the aforementioned steps, click on the "Read from ECU" button in the taskbar, or select it from the ECU dropdown menu. A new status bar with the read progress will be shown. At this point, fans will start running and the multi-function display will start cycling through a whole lot of error messages. DON'T PANIC! This is completely normal! After the read is complete, a new message window will appear basically saying that if you are done, you can turn off the ignition. Well, we are NOT done yet...before flashing anything new, SAVE your stock ROM! Click the save button, (or File > Save). AFTER you have saved, open the new ROM. It will appear/be listed in "Open ROM Documents" window. Select the ROM, (click it/highlight it), and click on the "Write to ECU" button, or select it from the ECU dropdown menu. Your car will go through the crazy routine again. After the ROM is written, a notification window will appear once again saying you can turn off the ignition if you are done. I recommend leaving it ON and then clicking on "Exit Programming State" under the ECU dropdown menu. When the notification window appears again, THEN turn off your ignition to the full off position. IF you have an MR/SST model, you will probably have a CEL. (I'm not sure about the GSR/5MT). Again, turn the car back into the "full on" position, but don't crank your car. Now, click on "Clear DTC" in the ECU dropdown menu. You'll see the CEL disappear completely. The notification window will appear again at which point, you can turn off your car. Do one final check to verify the CEL is gone by turning the ignition back to the on position.

How come I have a CEL after using ECUFlash?

You need to clear the CEL. Please follow the procedures listed above MINUS the "Write to ROM" part.

Do I REALLY need to read the ROM before I write a new ROM to my car?

The answer is no...but double-check, actually TRIPLE CHECK that you have a copy of the stock ROM saved, preferably in more than one place! Better safe then sorry yes? Connect the OpenPort to your car, open the ROM you wish to flash in ECUFlash and click on "Write to ECU". It'll go through the same write process. Don't forget to "Exit Programming State" and to clear an codes if necessary.

·
Registered
361 Posts
verkion, since your going at it anyway, you should use this as a template: http://www.boostedimports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222

should be able to use the bulk of that write up as is with only a few updates for the X (tables and values and examples will have to change or be taken out, as well as things like target AFR, I doubt the X and IX have the same target AFR)

anyway, good start on the How To!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx...yeah, I know there's a 9 tuning guide/the same one floating around. It's over at EvoM too. Grr...just haven't had any time to work on this. Sorry guys. I'll get back to the FAQ/How-to really soon.

verkion

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
hey congrats and good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts