Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WARNING! Do this under your own discretion.

Our MMCS uses the VSS wire (white with blue stripes) and the navi antenna to disable the Aux, while its in motion. I constantly use my iPod for music, so why not use the screen for something useful like a constant rear view.

Parts Required:
- Mitsubishi Camera - MZ380462EX
- Camera harness - MZ607384EX
- Camera cover - MZ607432EX
*if you already have the MMCS but do not have the backup camera there is already a connector for you to use* photo can be found below. I purchased a 15$ universal camera on amazon and used the existing connector. It works great for the price!
- Mitsubishi Aux input PN#8750A145

- Double throw, double poll switch (DPDT switch)
- 20 gauge wire
- splices
- if you don't want splices you can solder them but make sure you protect them afterwords
- RCA cables to splice/solder on to

Tools Required:
- crimps
- screw driver
- solder iron + solder w/flux
- electrical tape
- tie wraps

Recommended Number of People
- 1 person to work, another person to fetch beer

Difficulty
- 5/10 - difficulty parts was fishing the wires through

Time to complete
- 4 hours

If you do not already have the camera installed, you'll first need to install your wires and rear view camera of course. The backup camera from mitsubishi will already come with instructions on how to route the wires. Once you've done that, up front behind your MMCS splice your backup video input into an RCA cable and to your aux. I made a little drawing. So you should have 1 wire coming from the back and splice it to 2 wires (one wire for your MMCS the other will be an RCA) don't worry about cutting off the connector and using it strictly for the camera.

*IMPORTANT - Remember when you cut off the connector leave about 3 inches so you can work with the wires*
Here is the connetor you need

Once you have finished splicing your video cables you will be able to view your rear view camera when you REVERSE and in AUX (while stopped). But if you're in AUX and you start moving, the car will sense this and throw up that annoying "AUX IN MOTION". To disable this you need to unplug these wires permanently OR have a switch. The reason for the switch is for you to use the Navigation if you need it. The navi uses the VSS to quickly know you're moving and grab a GPS signal. But you'll have to remember switch it on or off.

find these wires here

*IMPORTANT - Remember when you splice the wires leave about 3 inches from the connector so if you screw up, you have a bit to play with*

once you find them and splice them, get a DPDT switch - I also made another drawing

Here is the wire for backup video and my ipod for music

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sorry, off-topic! What year Evo do you have? My 08 doesn't have those awesome "backup guide lines" although the rear camera works. Did you have to do anything else to get them to show?

Thanks!
verkion

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guidelines come standard on this universal backup camera (amazon 15$) I'm not sure if there is a way to turn off and on the stock camera mitsu sells. I had mine stolen so i purchased this15$ universal camera, it works exactly the same, if not better nightvision than the stock camera.

edit, does anyone know how i can move this to the HOW TO section???

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
the guidelines come standard on this universal backup camera (amazon 15$) I'm not sure if there is a way to turn off and on the stock camera mitsu sells. I had mine stolen so i purchased this15$ universal camera, it works exactly the same, if not better nightvision than the stock camera.

edit, does anyone know how i can move this to the HOW TO section???
the moderator will probably move it for you.

anyways that is pretty neat. i kinda wish i have the navi screen just for this for the contant rearview screen.

made me remember when i had my accord and i was really into sound system. i had the back of my car walled off and ported with an 18inch sundown nightshade. i used my after market screen unit as a constant rearview. then near the bottom of the center console i fabbed a mount for a normal headunit to control my music.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmm. My 2011 currently has the auxiliary port, but not the one with video. If I were to replace the port with the one which has video, and then I built a switch to turn off the VSS and nav wires, would this work without any extra wiring?

Specifically, is it just a straight swap of the two ports?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. My 2011 currently has the auxiliary port, but not the one with video. If I were to replace the port with the one which has video, and then I built a switch to turn off the VSS and nav wires, would this work without any extra wiring?

Specifically, is it just a straight swap of the two ports?
Yup. My lancer only had the 2 ports. I purchased the new aux inputs and it was just plug and play. After that everything works as per the "how to"

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup. My lancer only had the 2 ports. I purchased the new aux inputs and it was just plug and play. After that everything works as per the "how to"
Cool. Thanks for the info.

I think what I would like to do is modify your setup slightly. I'd like to add a second switch...one that would control whether the signal from the rearview makes it to the aux port.

To accomplish this, I would splice the rearview signal to both the MMCS and then a separate switch...which would engage or disengage the signal to the back of the aux port. That way I can keep the aux port input free for an iPod, iPad, etc.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the Top Gun toggle switch, just disable the GPS altogether. It's not like it's worth a shit with 2 year old maps being the newest unless you live in Mayberry. I use my smartphone with Google Navigation almost exclusively.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't bother with the Top Gun toggle switch, just disable the GPS altogether. It's not like it's worth a shit with 2 year old maps being the newest unless you live in Mayberry. I use my smartphone with Google Navigation almost exclusively.
Do what ever you like bro, this is an option for people who want to keep their navi up and running. Its not like these old maps are that bad. Even if they are outdated, just use what you have, you'll be glad you have it when you forget that smartphone at home ;)

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Do what ever you like bro, this is an option for people who want to keep their navi up and running. Its not like these old maps are that bad. Even if they are outdated, just use what you have, you'll be glad you have it when you forget that smartphone at home ;)
First off, I am not your bro. Second, who forgets their smartphone and doesn't make a u-turn to go back and get it?

My stock nav gets me lost all the freakin time, our roads here change monthly, roads are added that don't even exist in the newest database files and I end up seeing myself driving through either a lake or a nice flock of trees, while constantly hearing "Make a U-turn".

How about watching movies while running could it work?
You can all ready do the DVD-in-Motion hack, just a software fix.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
^ on a lot of the newer MMCS units you will have to downgrade in order to use the patches out there though. I ended up just doing the switch and calling it good.

OP - Great write up. Thanks for the detailed descriptions and pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about watching movies while running could it work?
Of course! The aux bypass will allow anything to be used for video input, as long as its RCA. Though driving and watching a movie isn't advisable, but I guess it entertains the passengers then go or it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if there is a way to connect an iPhone or Android device to the Navi screen (much like the OP has done with the reverse camera). In theory, you could mirror your phone's image to the screen which would allow you to use Google Maps Nav instead of the stock Mitsu Nav. Heck, you could even play Angry birds or read a book, idk?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if there is a way to connect an iPhone or Android device to the Navi screen (much like the OP has done with the reverse camera). In theory, you could mirror your phone's image to the screen which would allow you to use Google Maps Nav instead of the stock Mitsu Nav. Heck, you could even play Angry birds or read a book, idk?

I play angry birds on the MMCS with my iPhone when I have to wait for people! All you need is to get your iPhone jail broken. google how to get video out of the iPhone :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off, I am not your bro. Second, who forgets their smartphone and doesn't make a u-turn to go back and get it?

My stock nav gets me lost all the freakin time
If you don't want to use your MMCS then don't bother ruining it for everyone. Who cares if people want to use something they already have. And relax and take a pill. I'm only trying to help out. No need for attitude. We're all friends here.

·
Premium Member
8,500 Posts
I played my PS3 when i was in stand still traffic for 3 hours on the interstate, I have the hack for the driving and video at the same time. its awesome

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will this disable the reverse function?

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread...

I'm trying to help set up the MMCS to help my inlaws with towing a caravan (it's a Pajero) it seems that you guys have the knowledge so I wondered if you could help.

If I install this switch will it disable the existing reverse camera so I can use the aux input when in reverse? At the moment as soon as they stick the car in reverse it switches to the built in camera on the back of the car. This is not particularly helpful in backing a caravan.

I'm not sure which control wire would signal that the vehicle is in reverse so I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts