Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Programming Mitsubishi Keyless Remote Instructions (on my '08 Evo X; yours may be slightly different):

PROGRAMMING:
(Note: Entering new remote transmitter codes will erase all old codes so all remote transmitters must be programmed together.)

- Ensure ignition switched OFF.

- Locate and access your ODBII connector (aka DLC terminal) under dash (driver side by left knee).

- Jump DLC terminal's PIN 1 and 4 (which is ground). BTW, if you feel the ODBII connector under the dash, you can tell that it's a "D" shaped connector with the widest side towards the driver and not the firewall. The connector consists of 2 rows of contacts with 8 pin connectors on the wide side and 7 on the narrow side. PIN 1 is on the wide side (which is closest to the driver) and is the most left PIN (closest to the driver side door).
(Note: To do this, I used a piece of wire that's used as ties from a grocery store, stripped the ends and made a loop on both ends by wrapping it around a toothpick, then I got out my ODBII cable from my (Correction: COBB AccessPORT cable and NOT my ODBII meter cable because PIN 1 was missing from that. Cable only; do NOT have your AccessPORT connected) and shorted pins 1 and 4 by placing the loops of my newly made wire on both of those pins, and lastly you can connect the ODBII cable onto the vehicle to short the two pins)

- Within 10 seconds: Press hazard switch six times.

- My doors did NOT lock and unlock as many other Mitsubishi instructions have stated.

- Immediately within 10 seconds: Press remote transmitter LOCK button a couple times until your door locks respond (other instructions say 2 or 3 times but when it registers and your door locks respond, you are good).

- If registering additional remote transmitters, within 1 minute (I did it within 10 seconds): Repeat the previous step and proceed to each additional new remote transmitter until all are done.

Note: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed.

Note: To exit programming mode: Remove ODBII connector or remove jump lead.

- Test each remote again to verify that each has been programmed correctly.

Yesterday, my battery was low on one of my keyless remotes as noted on my dash when I tried to start the car. Since you get 2 from the dealer, I went into the house to swap keyless remotes and to my surprise after not using the second remote for almost a year, it failed to work. Hence the reason why I've put this DIY tutorial together for you to program your own keyless remote.

This is so easy to do that it begs the question, can I go to someone else's EVO with my keyless remote, and armed with a piece of wire program my keyless remote to start their car, LOL......hmmm.

--GeeDubz

· Registered
6,209 Posts
Very cool. Good post.

· Registered
3,470 Posts
I was under the impression that at least one remote has to already be programmed to the car for this type of self-program procedure to work.

The other question is, why didn't you just put a $2 battery in your remote instead?

· Registered
274 Posts
This is great news... I thought I needed the MUT3 or pay top $$$ to do this with a stealership.

Programming Mitsubishi Keyless Remote Instructions (on my '08 Evo X; yours may be slightly different):

PROGRAMMING:
(Note: Entering new remote transmitter codes will erase all old codes so all remote transmitters must be programmed together.)

- Ensure ignition switched OFF.

- Locate and access your ODBII connector (aka DLC terminal) under dash (driver side by left knee).

- Jump DLC terminal's PIN 1 and 4 (which is ground).
(Note: To do this, I used a piece of wire that's used as ties from a grocery store, stripped the ends and made a loop on both ends by wrapping it around a toothpick, then I got out my ODBII cable from my ODBII meter and shorted pins 1 and 4 by placing the loops of my newly made wire on both of those pins, and lastly you can connect the ODBII cable onto the vehicle to short the two pins)

- Within 10 seconds: Press hazard switch six times.

- My doors did NOT lock and unlock as many other Mitsubishi instructions have stated.

- Immediately within 10 seconds: Press remote transmitter LOCK button a couple times until your door locks respond (other instructions say 2 or 3 times but when it registers and your door locks respond, you are good).

- If registering additional remote transmitters, within 1 minute (I did it within 10 seconds): Repeat the previous step and proceed to each additional new remote transmitter until all are done.

Note: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed.

Note: To exit programming mode: Remove ODBII connector or remove jump lead.

- Test each remote again to verify that each has been programmed correctly.

Yesterday, my battery was low on one of my keyless remotes as noted on my dash when I tried to start the car. Since you get 2 from the dealer, I went into the house to swap keyless remotes and to my surprise after not using the second remote for almost a year, it failed to work. Hence the reason why I've put this DIY tutorial together for you to program your own keyless remote.

This is so easy to do that it begs the question, can I go to someone else's EVO with my keyless remote, and armed with a piece of wire program my keyless remote to start their car, LOL......hmmm.

--GeeDubz

· Registered
644 Posts
Question. I had a problem before. I have an extra fast key and the key fits and work but the transmitter can't be detected to start the car. The transmitter lights up but doesn't lock or any thing. Will this help with my problem?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other question is, why didn't you just put a $2 battery in your remote instead?
I did get new batteries but before installing them, I swapped batteries on both remotes to verify if it the other battery was still good. Well it was so both batteries apparently was okay even though one was a little weak. And the old one still didn't work; but both keyless remotes used to work.

You know how sometimes your car does random security/verification checks; well I wonder if after so many of those if it eventually loses connection to the other remotes not being used. Or perhaps one of my mechanics had to do the reprogramming of the keyless remote and I didn't know he did that and therefore the second remote no longer works. Regardless, at least I know the fix to do it myself :godance:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
CORRECTION: I used my COBB AccessPORT Cable instead of the cable from my ODBII meter because that doesn't have a PIN 1. (Just make sure you do NOT have your AccessPORT connected also, use the cable only) This being said, I guess you can use any connector from any device provided you have both pins 1 and 4 and also that you do not have the actual device connected to the cable; cable only!

· Registered
274 Posts
So what does this method program exactly? just the door locking function on a keyless remote but not it being able to start the car? i.e. back to stealership??? damn.

200 to program is bs but try programing a key to start that way. to program remotes that is how you do it on non fastkey cars. to program the imobilzer to start the car tho you need to enter a code for it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So what does this method program exactly? just the door locking function on a keyless remote but not it being able to start the car? i.e. back to stealership??? damn.
LOL, that would suck. I can't speak for others but my keyless remote *starts my car keylessly too =D
*on my EVO, you still have to turn the lock on the steering column but without having to put a physical key in.
Oh, my keyless remote does also open the trunk, deactivates the alarm, has a panic alarm on it, and includes a physical key in it should you need it.

· Registered
274 Posts
Appreciated if you can show some pics on this.

- Jump DLC terminal's PIN 1 and 4 (which is ground). BTW, if you feel the ODBII connector under the dash, you can tell that it's a "D" shaped connector with the widest side towards the driver and not the firewall. The connector consists of 2 rows of contacts with 8 pin connectors on the wide side and 7 on the narrow side. PIN 1 is on the wide side (which is closest to the driver) and is the most left PIN (closest to the driver side door).
(Note: To do this, I used a piece of wire that's used as ties from a grocery store, stripped the ends and made a loop on both ends by wrapping it around a toothpick, then I got out my ODBII cable from my (Correction: COBB AccessPORT cable and NOT my ODBII meter cable because PIN 1 was missing from that. Cable only; do NOT have your AccessPORT connected) and shorted pins 1 and 4 by placing the loops of my newly made wire on both of those pins, and lastly you can connect the ODBII cable onto the vehicle to short the two pins)

· Registered
120 Posts
Bump for pictures.. 10 month old post =\ oh well.. has anyone else done this with success? i'm about to do it today.. 100 bucks for the key.. 100 for the programming... screw that.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I had mitsu program my 2 keys, because both of them magically no longer opened/unlocked doors using the buttons (I had to manually open / lock / unlock / etc everything with the key) ... they charged $110 to reprogram all of my keys that I brought with me (I only have 2 keys, but the price is the same regardless of how many keys you have to reprogram). Once they reprogram your keys, any keys that may have been working before will no longer work unless they are reprogrammed together in this latest programming process.

FYI: I have the Single Combined Key + Remote (not a push-to-start)

:tmyk:

· Registered
13 Posts
I want to try this soon. I bought my Evo used and it only came with one remote. I just got a second one off ebay. I don't like the idea of having just one remote. I got a new second key cut from the stealership for $20. They want $110 to program the remote. Psssh.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I think there's a process for programming a second remote if you already have one working -- check out the Owners' Manual .. or do some google searching.. I know it's out there somewhere. You definitely don't need to go through this process if you have one working remote

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.