Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's the wrong thread, but I'm hoping someone who can help sees this.

As the topic states, can someone put up a "how to" for cv boot replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
this is going to sound shitty, but replace the whole axle shaft. Cv boot repair is only a short term fix. If you must repair, a good sealant ( not necessarily silicone) to fill in the broken gap is recomended. make sure the boot is stretched when you apply the silicone (i.e. you jave car lifted and apply sealant with crack facing up). The repair will live longer being compressed, than being stretched every revolution. This is a temporary repair, it will only buy time.
hope this helps.

This brings back memories of trying to do VW beetle CV boot replacements...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I am dropping mine off for a boot repair kit next week at my local Evo shop. Much cheaper than the shaft...unless you get the shafted with the kit.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
order new boots from mitsu, you have to take them both off. To get to the outside boot that connects to the knuckle, you have to remove the end that goes into the trans and pull both boots off. Then pack the boot full of grease, use the hardware they give you and put them both back on.

Its a very, very messy job.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I guess i should have taken pics when my friend and i replaced my boot, but he did it so fast, it took only like 30 minutes lol
My time is worth more than 1H mech fee. Besides, I also have a couple seals leaking too from my clutch install that needs fixin.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
He works on a wide range of cars, so i guess thats why it was so fast. We were installing an RCA kit in the process so everything was all taken apart. Remove strut, remove caliper, hang it on some wire, remove the "crown nut" thing - i don't know what its called.. then he removed several other bolts back there ( i went on a beer run at this point) then literally yanked it out lol - oil all over the fucking place - but he did it pretty fast. At first he was like "Man, this is a 3 hour job.. if youre a pussy."

So the removal of the joint took like 10 minutes, 15 min for other stuff around it in the way.

But yea, 5 minutes later we carefully took off the boot, cleaned it up, got a new boot on - squeezed in the grease while holding the rubber boot in such a way that it created a suction effect - then clamped it back on with the supplied clamps it came with - took another 15-20 min to get everything completely put back together (cv joint, caliper, strut, wheel, off stands and on the way to the rack to get it re-aligned.)

·
[E-Tuner]
15,918 Posts
He works on a wide range of cars, so i guess thats why it was so fast. We were installing an RCA kit in the process so everything was all taken apart. Remove strut, remove caliper, hang it on some wire, remove the "crown nut" thing - i don't know what its called.. then he removed several other bolts back there ( i went on a beer run at this point) then literally yanked it out lol - oil all over the fucking place - but he did it pretty fast. At first he was like "Man, this is a 3 hour job.. if youre a pussy."

So the removal of the joint took like 10 minutes, 15 min for other stuff around it in the way.

But yea, 5 minutes later we carefully took off the boot, cleaned it up, got a new boot on - squeezed in the grease while holding the rubber boot in such a way that it created a suction effect - then clamped it back on with the supplied clamps it came with - took another 15-20 min to get everything completely put back together (cv joint, caliper, strut, wheel, off stands and on the way to the rack to get it re-aligned.)
Damn, that guy is a machine.

Did he pull the axle out of the diff?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had a small slit on my boot...just bought a used axle from a part out for 145$
installed in the car by a mech and called it a day! I'm gonna try to experiment
on the old one and see if it's easy to replace the boot

·
[E-Tuner]
15,918 Posts
Yeah he removed it, just yanked it out lol - you have to cause you have to put on the new boot + grease and clamps etc.
Ok. I'm guessing when he yanked it out is when the fluids went everywhere?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
hey guys, bumping the thread- anybody learned how to remove the cv shaft from the t case? I tried gently tapping it and prying on the black (rusted in my case) part of the shaft with dimples and it won't budge. If I were to yank it out it would rip the boot, and that's a no go. Should I get a pry bar and pry it with that?

·
Administrator
3,314 Posts
hey guys, bumping the thread- anybody learned how to remove the cv shaft from the t case? I tried gently tapping it and prying on the black (rusted in my case) part of the shaft with dimples and it won't budge. If I were to yank it out it would rip the boot, and that's a no go. Should I get a pry bar and pry it with that?
I think you'll find some pictures and help in here:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20757

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.