Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forums and relatively recent Evo X owner. I am having issues with my idling when I tried to start it up after installing a new battery after it went dead, I also installed a new alternator with it too (Painful job). Had the battery warning light come on but now thats gone. The car is also completely stock.

When I start it up, the revs surge up to about 2500-3000RPM then it drops to about 1000RPM and almost stalls then surges back up again to ~2500RPM. It does this several times but the engine dies. I took it out for a quick drive hoping that the ECU could re-learn the fuel tables and idle but the engine dies if im not on the throttle. The throttle is also not particularly responsive at idle but responds okay-ish on the quick test-drive. I disconnected the MAF sensor by the intake and it doesnt stall and runs at 3000RPM consistently, so im expecting it to be Throttle/ECU related. The car was running smoothly without any issues prior to the battery and alternator install.

I know this is a common issue with the Evos and have read countless forums and tried their fixes but none have worked for me. What I have tried is:
  1. Idle Re-Teach = Unable to do this successfully without the engine dying after 3mins
  2. Checked the FPR Hose = Secure
  3. MAF Sensor Voltage Check/Clean = Done
  4. Checked for Air intake leaks = Secure
  5. Disconnected battery for ECU to be reset again = No Change
  6. Checked Throttle Body Connection = Clipped in
Im thinking along the lines of the ECU maps are incorrect and it just cant calibrate itself properly, so needs a reflash/re-teach? Probably wrong.

I have really hit a road block and im pretty stuck as to what to do as the car is undriveable essentially. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask for more detail if needed as I might of missed something out.

Thanks, looking forward to your responses!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wouldn't think is the maps. Especially since everything is stock.

Some guys have had serious issues and it just ended up being a dirty throttle plate? Is there anything you could have touched while doing the alternator? If there are any leaks after the MAF, then some air could be escaping/coming in and throw everything off..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts