Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, got a problem, I've been having jumpy idling issue's lately, I recently got my Act Streetdisc clutch, and ssp ms installed at a performance shop, and for the past 2 weeks since I got it back, my idle has been jumping from 500 - 1000k, and 3-4 times out of the 2 weeks it went down to 0 jumped up to 500 and stalled. I took it back to them today, and was told I needed a tune and that's the only way to eliminate said problem, so I knew I was going to get one in the future, so we went ahead with a tune. As the tuning was happening the tuner told/showed me my oxygen levels were just at a halt unless gas was given, after gas was given then it would get jumpy, the tuner did a few runs, and figured it was my fuel pump. I only have 16k miles on the car and a catback exhaust with a test pipe, and 02 spacer, and a cone filter on the stock tip. I can't seem to manage why my fuel pump would fail out of nowhere, also they replaced the fuel pump relay during tune, because I was told the old ones would eventually fail, can anyone chime in??

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
the stock relays on 08s were crap, they need to be replaced. As for the pump failing... idk. It could be, but that should be an easy thing to check. What shop are you at? I think there's a shop near NY that ppl like, not sure which though. Not DG

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Are we sure it's not the MAF? Isn't a jumpy idle indicative of a dirty MAF? I may be wrong don't quote me on it!

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
^ I was also thinking MAF, if fuel pump thats an easy warranty, but its very early and what color Relays did you switch too?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My evo is a 2010, also they did zip tie fuel pressure hose, it was popped off when I arrived there, and he put it back in and said, that should stop the idling, but he said you still need a tune, so we went ahead with it, and that's when he said my oxygen levels, were at 0.03*****, and when you step on the gas, it would jump around to 0.9*****. How can I go to the dealer without telling them I was at a shop, and my fuel pump might be gone? The relay was a blue one, like a baby blueish color. I'm going back to them tomorrow to get another fuel pump installed, but I just don't know if that's really the issue, it's gonna cost me $200 bucks, 150 for install and 50 bucks for a used fuel pump. Also so I wouldn't have the annoying idling, the tuner shut off the oxygen sensor, so If I were to show the car to someone else, I can't show the problem, it just sounds like the car is fine.

This is a different issue, but could the o2 spacer be doing the weird idling?

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=204634&postcount=6

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
woah woah get more insight to make sure it is actually the fuel pump first before you go buying

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could, but I don't know anybody that could check out the car, they also shut off the o2 sensor, so if I wanted to show the problem to someone else, they wouldn't understand. I also asked him if they could check the fuel pump, and he said he wouldn't waste his guys time to check it because of the math that his computer is showing him and all the signs given it is the fuel pump. I have a feeling they're going to replace it, and then the problem is still going to consist, and then I'm fucked.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
take your car back, and take it to another shop. get more opinions

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to do exactly that, but I don't wanna deal with the headaches of traveling, and spending more money at a different shop just to have it looked at. Also ruining a relationship with this shop, I just want the car to run like it did 2 weeks ago before the clutch install. I guess my best bet is to go back tomorrow tell him to turn on the o2 sensor, and then check the maf to see if it's really dirty, and if that's not the case, then to check my o2 sensor. I rather keep my stock fuel pump, then another used one, I like to keep my car as oem as possible, so I don't deal with headaches of bullshit parts in the future.

Also could the odd idling come from the new Master Cylinder that was installed???? or a mishap install with that?

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Ok slow down, there is so not enough info here.

1) What modifications are made to your car?
2) Are you tuned at all?
3) Was anything else installed at the time the clutch was?

Also relay issue ONLY effect WOT pulls if they were completely dead the car would run at all.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Hey everyone, got a problem, I've been having jumpy idling issue's lately, I recently got my Act Streetdisc clutch, and ssp ms installed at a performance shop, and for the past 2 weeks since I got it back, my idle has been jumping from 500 - 1000k, and 3-4 times out of the 2 weeks it went down to 0 jumped up to 500 and stalled. I took it back to them today, and was told I needed a tune and that's the only way to eliminate said problem, so I knew I was going to get one in the future, so we went ahead with a tune. As the tuning was happening the tuner told/showed me my oxygen levels were just at a halt unless gas was given, after gas was given then it would get jumpy, the tuner did a few runs, and figured it was my fuel pump. I only have 16k miles on the car and a catback exhaust with a test pipe, and 02 spacer, and a cone filter on the stock tip. I can't seem to manage why my fuel pump would fail out of nowhere, also they replaced the fuel pump relay during tune, because I was told the old ones would eventually fail, can anyone chime in??
Did the shop pull the brake booster when installing the SSP MC?
Is the O2 spacer installed on the rear or front sensor?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Tsudo catback exhaust w/ test pipe & o2 spacer
Spectre Cone filter, and stock turbo inlet pipe
Act clutch, and SSP clutch master cylinder

I was getting a tune, but that's when he realized the idling wasn't a simple fuel pressure hose being reconnected. It was a different problem.

Here's my baseline, I was able to take a shot of...
He said a few run's later, which I forgot to take a shot of, that he added more fuel to the car, and that's when there were a bunch of red scribbles on the sheet at high rpms, and less power, around 273.

Did the shop pull the brake booster when installing the SSP MC?
Is the O2 spacer installed on the rear or front sensor?

Not sure what a brake booster is I wasn't at the shop when it was all being installed, and the o2 spacer is on my test pipe, just no sure rear or front.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
This thread is kind of a train wreck of mixed issues and missing information.

What is the actual problem as of today and what was fixed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I can't see what information I'm missing out on, what else is needed to know. I had my clutch, and master cylinder installed 2 weeks ago, and the day I picked it up my idle was the way I described it in my first post, and has been like that till yesterday. I went to them to check it out, and they said I needed a tune to eliminate the problem, but right before I took it into the shop, he noticed my fuel pressure hose removed, he put it back in and said that was your problem, but you still need a tune, so we went ahead with it, as he was tuning my car he showed me that my oxygen levels weren't moving at all, unless gas was given, then he did a few runs with adding fuel to the car, and he told me that my fuel pump is gone. As I left the shop, he said he shut off the o2 sensor so my idle wasn't jumpy, and going crazy, and he told me to stay out of boost, till I come back tomorrow(Wed), and install the fuel pump he has laying around.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
I can't see what information I'm missing out on, what else is needed to know. I had my clutch, and master cylinder installed 2 weeks ago, and the day I picked it up my idle was the way I described it in my first post, and has been like that till yesterday. I went to them to check it out, and they said I needed a tune to eliminate the problem, but right before I took it into the shop, he noticed my fuel pressure hose removed, he put it back in and said that was your problem, but you still need a tune, so we went ahead with it, as he was tuning my car he showed me that my oxygen levels weren't moving at all, unless gas was given, then he did a few runs with adding fuel to the car, and he told me that my fuel pump is gone. As I left the shop, he said he shut off the o2 sensor so my idle wasn't jumpy, and going crazy, and he told me to stay out of boost.
So the idle wasn't fixed by putting the FPR hose back on?
Does your tuner know what lean spool is?
What is he using to tune with?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No it was not fixed.
Don't know if sarcasm, but I don't know lol.
No clue, all I know is that they use a dynojet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to add anything stupid but i wanted to throw it out there.... There is a TSB out for idling issues, just had mine into the dealership for that. As far as I know mods don't effect eligibility for the TSB. Issues can appear at anytime and very well having the tranny dropped for clutch replacement caused something to move.

I'd at least shoot the dealership a call and check...Never hurts to check it out if its free for you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts