Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right...we all have to ask the question. Some of us look forward to the moment that loud rattling noise surfaces and we are forced to balance our check books and make some hard decisions. Some of us loose sleep at night worrying about how much power we can achieve and when we will cross that undefined border from stock bottom end to fully built. In the end, regardless of the motivation, we ALL think about that moment when we pop the hood, loosen up the motor mounts and start yanking out the motor for a fresh build.

What displacement motor will you build and why?

Nate

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
2.2 but im still on the fence. It seems that most motor builds take a shit after a few hundred miles. Maybe a built 2.0 would be best. Either way, i want to run it with an HTA 3586

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read about a few engine builds that seem to have prematurely let go, but you will find similar trends (new platform that people are learning) with just about any type of engine. We have done several builds here and to date, none have come back here or been reported to us as having failed. These range from Stage 1 builds to sleeved Stage 2's and I cannot think of one instance of failure. That being said, I think the whole community is learning about what these motors like and the resources for accurate information are still being compiled.

I wouldn't be so bold as to call the 4G63 platform more forgiving, but tolerances and clearances and basic assembly information is more readily available after 2 decades of building them which I think has had an impact on the 4B11 development. Simply put, what is good for one, might not be good for another and I think one of the things that has contributed to our success with the 4B11 program is our absolute dedication to not cut corners. We do not put anything into an engine without checking, rechecking, checking again and then documenting.

It seems that most motor builds take a shit after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
^^waiting for it all to be figured out...in the meantime a nice street machine with a green/red size'd turbo (ef2/ef3???), e85 and bolt ons and call it a day.

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a nice plan to me! Shoot me a PM when you have a moment. Let's talk turbo =)

Nate

^^waiting for it all to be figured out...in the meantime a nice street machine with a green/red size'd turbo (ef2/ef3???), e85 and bolt ons and call it a day.

·
Registered
995 Posts
if im going to build it, i want more displacement, so i picked 2.2, but i'd go bigger if i could get reliability for street use

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I mentioned earlier, I think that true reliability can be achieved with virtually any motor design when assembled properly. That being said, there are combinations that lend themselves to longevity more inherently than others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts