Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new in here i need a little of help im currently stuck on my downpipe all the bolts are out excect the stud nut. its so uncomfortable to get a hand back there or to even use a ratchet because it wont fit the hot side of the turbo doesnt allow much other than a 14mm wrench but theres no leverage to move much, has anyone of you guys done a downpipe removal and was able to take out that nut and how with what tools?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe spray some penetrant on there and let it sit for an hour. I used a stubby wrench with another one on the end for leverage since a normal sized wrench was too long to fit back there. Try pulling at it hard with a quick jolt so it can act like an impact wrench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe spray some penetrant on there and let it sit for an hour. I used a stubby wrench with another one on the end for leverage since a normal sized wrench was too long to fit back there. Try pulling at it hard with a quick jolt so it can act like an impact wrench.
i did i showered it for the last 4 days ive been stuck on it lol ill probably run to grab some stubby wrenches do you know if the install of the new one is as bad as removing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Installing was a bit easier since you didn't have to deal with the rust. Torquing some of the bolts and nuts to spec was near impossible with the space you have though. So just good n tight for some of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installing was a bit easier since you didn't have to deal with the rust. Torquing some of the bolts and nuts to spec was near impossible with the space you have though. So just good n tight for some of them.
i ran to the store grabbed new wrenches and somehow got it today thanks for the advice now tomorrow new one goes back in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was going to suggest removing the wheel and liner for more clearance but you got it already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those that are really having a problem with that nut or even any of the other bolts, as long as you can unbolt the turbo, you can move the turbo with the O2 housing (cast down-pipe) still attached so you can reach the bolts easier. As well, once the studs that hold the manifold to the turbo are out, the manifold can be removed for much easier access. Of course, the first removal requires the turbo "dropped" to get the manifold off as those 2 studs may not budge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts