Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my RR GSR for about a month now (1200 miles). I got a great deal on the car from eric at Schumacher in WPB FL. I traded in an 02 Boxster S for the car, because new kid ='s need back seat.

The bad news
The quality of materials and build are, obviously, no where near the Porsche. The plastics, vinyls etc look and feel cheap. Still getting used to the size of the car. The Boxster seems tiny compared to the Evo's cockpit. Brakes don't seem as good as the Porsche (but that can be fixed easily). Car is a LOT thirstier than the Porsche and has a lot less trunk space (2 trunks in the boxster).

The good news
Car is a bunch quicker than the Boxster. I find the recaros more comfortable than the sport seats on the Box. The car's handling is amazing and MUCH easier to drive near the limits than the Porsche. I like having storage in the cockpit and real cup holders, which the Porsche lacks.

The Evo isn't as involving to drive, but I still think I am really going to like it. I am amazed how much car this is for less than $30K. Once I get the brakes sorted and get some springs, I will start looking at HP. For now I would like to take it to the track and some auto crosses before going crazy with adding power. The car has plenty off the shelf and is capable of a lot with out modding.

Another funny thing - this car gets a lot more atention than the Porsche. In the month since I have owned it, I have been stopped 10X more times and asked questions than the years I owned the Porsche. The other night at the local Pizza place, I was picking up an order. The kid running the lot gave me the VIP spot because the Evo is his favorite car. The guy in the Maserati Gran Tourismo who pulled in at the same time was pissed!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Haha I'm glad it's turning out to be a good time for you! The attention that it get's really is phenominal, I am still suprised by some of the people that want to know about my car. Guys in Maserati's and Porsche's come up to me consistantly inquiring. I did try to get one of the guy's driving a Maserati to trade me cars, I think I almost had him! Well, at least in my mind it was close lol.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I just had an old man with a nice mercedes stop and tell me how nice my car was while at walmart. He seems to have known a lot about Evo's. Right after him I had another old man in a civic go nuts once he saw my car. Once at the stop light he proceeded to tell me how nice it looks and how aggressive and scary it looks when it comes up behind you.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You should look into getting a tune before adding more power also. Well, I mean getting a tune will net you more power but to make the car less thirsty. Its a simple mod that nets nice gains across the powerband and you dont have to really add any parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should look into getting a tune before adding more power also. Well, I mean getting a tune will net you more power but to make the car less thirsty. Its a simple mod that nets nice gains across the powerband and you dont have to really add any parts.
I was thinking it was so thirsty because it was still in the break-in period.

I haven't serched and I am sure there are lots of threads about it - but which tunes can use with stock parts that won't screw the warranty?

One of my buddies bought the Vishnu tune and his car pukes every time he takes it to the track.

·
aka gg09gts
1,405 Posts
tune will void the warranty, sucks, wish i could get a tune, oh well K&N filter gives me 1-2mpg better in city and highway

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Personally I'd look into either getting the Cobb AcessPort or doing something like SpeedCircuit's mail in tune. They both accomodate stock cars very well.

Or if you are close to a good tuning shop, stop by and pay them a visit, as getting a custom tune on your individual car is always going to be best.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
tune will void the warranty, sucks, wish i could get a tune, oh well K&N filter gives me 1-2mpg better in city and highway
It only voids it if you get warranty work and forget to flash it back, that is granted they search for it. Driving off the lot usually takes care of any warranty you might have had, depending on the dealership.

·
Vendor
1,270 Posts
The quality of materials and build are, obviously, no where near the Porsche.
Go figure....:$::$::$:
Another funny thing - this car gets a lot more atention than the Porsche. In the month since I have owned it, I have been stopped 10X more times and asked questions than the years I owned the Porsche.
This because the Evo is not a car. It's a religion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^:mswerd: I can honestly say that even though I have only had my evo for about 2 weeks, I can't see ever driving anything else. AWD, Tons of Torque and Power, 4 doors (for practicality), looks great, I mean is there anything else? Gonna pay it off by next year then its mod time!!!!Can't wait!!!! I agree with the OP, its still tons of fun out of the box!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Glad you like your new car, autox will be fun, but wait until you get on a road course..... Let the new addiction begin!!!! You will find out why so many Porsche and BMW guys don't like our cars, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can't wait to get it out on a road course. The Box was a ton of fun on the track. This car should be awesome!! Just had my first kid (reason Box had to go) so I have to let the dust settle a bit before spending a weekend at the track. I really like Homestead, but I think driving the X at Sebring would be a dream come true. Turn 17 with an AWD drive car and all the electronic nannies you can stand? I am giggling just thinking about it. Beats wheel hopping a 993 through the turn!

As to good custom tune shops - any recomendations for Ft. Lauderdale?

·
Evos before hoes
2,599 Posts
Nice pick up man I hope you love the car and show some pics.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i almost bought my evo from that dealer in west palm, worst dealer ive ever been to, we gave him a really good deal, he wouldn't budge one dime from the window sticker on the car, we walked and i got a car on the west coast of florida at Tamiyami in naples

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't judge the car before you get it tuned, preferrably with a boost pill so you can hold some boost. Mitsu really went conservative with the OEM tune and the car is night and day difference once you get it running like it was designed to. It's cheap and you have some good tuners in FL so don't hesitate.

My dealership always checks with me before they reflash the car because they don't want to screw up my tune. They are very tolerant of mods unless someone does something very stupid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts