Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my navigation screen, I was thinking of installing some kind of game system into the car.

Not sure where I'd mount it, but I'd want it to be small and have a low power requirement. I'd also want it to have wireless remotes. I'd also want it to be easy to swap in and out games.

I was thinking wii, but playing games with the pointer would be odd so close to the screen.

I was also thinking of getting one of those little boxes that have a million nes/snes games built in, but then the controller must be wired.

I could do a slimline ps2, but i kind of hate sony.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Xbox 360 - hands down..

no - it doesnt have a low power requirement. BUT its wireless, easy to change games in and out, and not awkward to play on the navi screen.

The selection of games is also huge so you could actually have a decent variety... from Call Of Duty 4, to Forza 2, to Sonic the Hedgehog, and even guitar hero.

Just mount it under the passenger seat and be done with it. You could even get the all black X360 (or just paint it I guess) to fit your car.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Get a modded Xbox. Not a 360.

Talk about easy game changing. Throw a nice hard drive (that can withstand bumps) in the car and you're good to go. I was building one for this same purpose, but then I sold it to buy a webserver.

You'd have to buy a wireless 3rd party controller.

It won't be nearly as expensive as a 360 (although clearly not as good), but you can store movies and games on it easily.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Xbox 360 - hands down..

no - it doesnt have a low power requirement. BUT its wireless, easy to change games in and out, and not awkward to play on the navi screen.

The selection of games is also huge so you could actually have a decent variety... from Call Of Duty 4, to Forza 2, to Sonic the Hedgehog, and even guitar hero.

Just mount it under the passenger seat and be done with it. You could even get the all black X360 (or just paint it I guess) to fit your car.
Too much power, too much money, too much heat, and it would be a waste on a small, low-def screen.

The reason i don't have a 360 in my house is because i don't feel like dealing with the BS. In the car, it's gonna be that much more of a pain.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The case is, sure. Once you remove the DVD drive, get it out of the case and put it in something easily mountable, it's no bigger than a hard drive with a motherboard.

I built one with a 15" LCD monitor into a suitcase. I had the DVD drive in it, so it still was large. However, it was still the same size as the original case, so there is room to minimize size.

http://www.modzone.dk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=331&password=&sort=1&cat=503&page=1

Anyway, my point is that if you have the technical knowledge to do all that stuff to your car, I'm sure you could handle stripping down a game console and installing it under your seat. I liked having 500 Gigs of movies and games available without ever having to change a disc. And the Xbox Media Center interface is phenomenal.

On the other hand, those PS2Slims are fairly tiny already. Just have to live with yourself purchasing something from Sony, with their shitty little controllers. (Biased)

·
Registered
328 Posts
The case is, sure. Once you remove the DVD drive, get it out of the case and put it in something easily mountable, it's no bigger than a hard drive with a motherboard.

I built one with a 15" LCD monitor into a suitcase. I had the DVD drive in it, so it still was large. However, it was still the same size as the original case, so there is room to minimize size.

http://www.modzone.dk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=331&password=&sort=1&cat=503&page=1

Anyway, my point is that if you have the technical knowledge to do all that stuff to your car, I'm sure you could handle stripping down a game console and installing it under your seat. I liked having 500 Gigs of movies and games available without ever having to change a disc. And the Xbox Media Center interface is phenomenal.

On the other hand, those PS2Slims are fairly tiny already. Just have to live with yourself purchasing something from Sony, with their shitty little controllers. (Biased)
Damn, that's sick!

I'm biased towards Xbox myself, but I think the slimline PS2 is the easiest overall route.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Too much power, too much money, too much heat, and it would be a waste on a small, low-def screen.

The reason i don't have a 360 in my house is because i don't feel like dealing with the BS. In the car, it's gonna be that much more of a pain.

Yeah I know its too much of a power hog. The Xbox is only $100 more than a Wii if you want the hdd version. Plus I could easily dismantle one and place it into something smaller.

You know - a lot of people say they dont want to deal with the "hassle" of a 360 and I never understood that. Mine is awesome, hooked up (hi def ofcourse) and hasnt given me trouble since day 1. the 360 is actually the best system Ive ever had in terms of versatility. Its a kinda big, but its not that much bigger than my comcast HD box so I dont mind so much.

What about doing a carputer? do a mini-pc chassis... something cube sized mounted in the trunk and get a wireless controller for it (with wireless keyboard/mouse). Then youd have the ability to do emulators AND PC games and have the best of both worlds.

PLUS - wireless internet @ meets near hotspots FTW. also, you wouldnt have to worry about running out of room on the digi cam... Just upload them to the carputer and send it wirelessly to the home comp. once your car is safely in your garage.

You could also do direct to computer cam. mounts for vid capture on track days, etc.

possibilities are endless...

EDIT : The slimline PS2 is a toploader, so mounting choices are further complicated even with its size. A tray load system is really whats needed for most mounting choices.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That's awesome, but I don't want to go crazy for a game system I'll barely play. I just want to keep it simple.

Anyway, my point is that if you have the technical knowledge to do all that stuff to your car, I'm sure you could handle stripping down a game console and installing it under your seat.
I've actually been modifying computers longer than cars. Haha.

I liked having 500 Gigs of movies and games available without ever having to change a disc. And the Xbox Media Center interface is phenomenal.

I don't mind the controllers, I just don't like the analog sticks.

I went and looked at them today in the store...they're running for $130. So I'd just need that, a power inverter that I'd hard wire in, and some long RCA cables.

Stupid sony.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
get a cheap/shitty laptop & load it up w/emulator games? May draw too much power after the battery dies..
The thought has crossed my mind, but I don't want to deal with fixing computer issues and dealing with potential hardware issues and power issues when mounted up in a car.

...although it would be HELLA handy for tuning.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I know its too much of a power hog. The Xbox is only $100 more than a Wii if you want the hdd version. Plus I could easily dismantle one and place it into something smaller.

You know - a lot of people say they dont want to deal with the "hassle" of a 360 and I never understood that. Mine is awesome, hooked up (hi def ofcourse) and hasnt given me trouble since day 1.
What's not to understand? They have a very high failure rate. You just happen to be lucky.

the 360 is actually the best system Ive ever had in terms of versatility. Its a kinda big, but its not that much bigger than my comcast HD box so I dont mind so much.
If I were to get a 360, it'd be for my house, not my car. I'm not dropping that kind of cash on something I'm not going to get much use out of.

What about doing a carputer? do a mini-pc chassis... something cube sized mounted in the trunk and get a wireless controller for it (with wireless keyboard/mouse). Then youd have the ability to do emulators AND PC games and have the best of both worlds.
I like the idea, but I don't want the hassle. Slow boot times, sensitive hardware, countless potential issues...having a keyboard in the car, etc.

Let's say I'm meeting a friend somewhere and waiting 10 minutes for them to show up. With the PS2, I can be gaming in under a minute. With the PC, by the time I turn it on, choose a game, screw around with the keyboard, get it to pick up my game controller, etc, I already blew 5 minutes. Then I have to shut it down, etc.

PLUS - wireless internet @ meets near hotspots FTW. also, you wouldnt have to worry about running out of room on the digi cam... Just upload them to the carputer and send it wirelessly to the home comp. once your car is safely in your garage.
That would be awesome, but the only way I could pull it off is with a laptop. But I honestly don't like the complexity of it.

You could also do direct to computer cam. mounts for vid capture on track days, etc.

possibilities are endless...
It's true. It is tempting, but I just see things going wrong and me not wanting to fix yet another damn computer.

EDIT : The slimline PS2 is a toploader, so mounting choices are further complicated even with its size. A tray load system is really whats needed for most mounting choices.
Oh, crap.

·
[Tom Cruise lookalike]
1,882 Posts
Late to the game! Ps2 is really the only decent choice for this. The Wii would not work close... The remotes have to be far enough for the IR to properly spread before it hits the remotes.

Why the hate on Sony? Microsoft is just as bad... plus they make shitty systems! (please note system does not mean games so bugger off)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.