Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my alternator replaced on my 14 RA. Dealership put 18km on it and said everything seemed fine. I put on about the same, 95%of the time in sport. Then all of a sudden when I accelerate moderately, the whole instrument cluster goes black.. Rpm and spedo both go to zero. Then randomly it all comes back with random service lights thst go away almost as quick as they popped up.

Included a 3 minute video, expires may 2nd.

https://s.amsu.ng/Aw8xgWlS2z5N

·
Registered
205 Posts
My alternator went in my X too.
My mistake was going to the dealer too!
After my install the belt came off after a week while driving.

Anyways currently my X is sitting in my driveway with no serpentine belt installed.
Basically my alternator and everything else that’s on the belt isn’t working but I can still start her to move her in the driveway with no alternator working to avoid asphalt spots from the tires sitting to long.
When she’s running like that with no alternator and serpentine belt everything electric is still working running off the battery.

Obviously the ecu is still working because the car is running when it’s happening. .
While the screen is blank, did you notice if the trip odometer is still recording while it’s black screen?

Its not the alternator that’s a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its very unlikely your issue has anything to do with the alternator you had replaced. For your cluster to blank out like that it has to lose one or more of it's power or ground supply circuits which share very little connection to the alternator. If it happens consistently when you accelerate it's probably something to do with the engine movement effecting a wiring harness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts