Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have found myself needing to replace the AC compressor on my wife's 2003 Eclipse GT as the existing unit has experienced catastrophic failure (split open on the side). I have a replacement compressor but the bit of reading I've done suggests that there's a lot more to a compressor replacement than simply popping the new one on and charging the system. I did read some generic how-to's that talk about replacing the accumulator or receiver/drier and flushing the system. I have a compressor I can use to blow the lines out, but the drier is integrated into the condenser and that's another $100+ I didn't want to have to spend.

So, should I just replace the compressor, or what other parts do you think would require replacement?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww, c'mon.. someone here has replaced an AC compressor at some point...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Round rock, TX has those huge ass donuts...right? They look freaking delicious! Sorry man, wish I could help you, my AC knowledge is in the residential area.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
aww, c'mon.. someone here has replaced an AC compressor at some point...
I do A/C work everyday..

Aside from the obvious compressor replacement, to do it right:

Replace dryer (critical, as moisture will kill the new compressor fast)
Flush everything with a fast evaporating brake parts cleaner. I generally do not use A/C flush simply because it's extremely oily and makes a mess. (critical, as small metal debris will immediately kill a new compressor and/or clog the TXV)
Shoot the system capacity oil minus about 2oz which you will put into the suction side of the compressor.
Add 2oz of PAG oil to compressor suction side, and crank the clutch about 5 or 6 times to balance the oil charge. Do not spill anything.
New O-rings on all connections that you broke loose, lubricating slightly with PAG.
Vacuum the system for as long as possible (minimum 28" for at least an hour with a new dryer. At least 3 hours if [please don't] reusing old dryer)
Shoot the system with freon charge, to system spec. I charge liquid instead of gas.

Test.

*This whole thing assumes your TXV is still working. If you get abnormal readings on the gauge set, the valve may not be functioning due to debris getting inside when the compressor failed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts